Phone not receiving texts from certain people

xtinamorgaan

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Over the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to receive text messages from certain people. I can send them texts and they receive them, and when they send me texts they go through, but I am just not receiving them.
I went to the Sprint store, and the guy told me that Apple phones sometimes have trouble sending text messages to Android phones, and he updated my phone to help with the problem. It didn't do anything, and I haven't had trouble with only Apple phones. A friend of mine can't text me, and has an Android, my roommate can't text me, and has a Windows phone. Two of my other friends can't text me, but I think they have iPhones.

My phone says I have Android version 4.2.2, which I think is Jellybean? I'm not sure, because I thought the guy at the Sprint store updated it to the latest version. I've already checked if these people are blocked on my phone, and I don't think they are.

I don't know what to do! Its been going on for weeks :(

js5613

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem for two people on my list and it was very annoying. Unfortunately, Sprint was unable to assist me in resolving the problem. I finally figured out the solution and it was to delete the contacts and reenter the information as new contacts and in both cases the problem was fully resolved. I not know what caused the original problem but this definitely resolved the issue for me and hopefully it does for you also.

Thanks and good luck!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem for two people on my list and it was very annoying. Unfortunately, Sprint was unable to assist me in resolving the problem. I finally figured out the solution and it was to delete the contacts and reenter the information as new contacts and in both cases the problem was fully resolved. I not know what caused the original problem but this definitely resolved the issue for me and hopefully it does for you also.

Thanks and good luck!

Sounds like a lot of work 😦
Glad you got it working though :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Keith LaDouceur

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure if you are still having this issue but i thought i would shed some light on the situation. My girlfriend and I were having this issue as well and i found the problem. What happened was i had set her number as a spam number. If you press and hold the contact thread on the sms home screen (the screen that shows all your recent texts from different contacts) a sub screen will pop up asking if you want to set that number as a spam number. When you press set as spam you will not receive messages from them but they will from you. To reverse this, follow the same steps but press un-select as a spam number. And voila you can now receive messages

torbasgirl

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
My phone (Galaxy S4) has been doing same thing, probably since some point last summer when I temporarily blocked someone and then in the fall unblocked the number, and haven't received any texts since. We are both on AT&T, just kind of weird. I thought she was just being rude all this time.

chad Harrison1

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem on my new Galaxy s6 edge where I wasn't able to receive messages from anyone in my contacts. But I found the solution. Go to "settings" select "applications" then"application manager" scroll down to "contacts" and press it. Then hit "force close" then "clear data" after that, hit the back key then scroll down to your messaging app and do the same thing as you did under "contacts" ....force close, clear data. Hope this helps everyone.

big boy hurting

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and friend has a Black Berry. We have communicated by text for about 4 months and yesterday my text went to their phone but their response back to me won't deliver to my phone. Same thing today mine goes through but no response back. They call me and ask did theirs come through after they answered back to me. What do I need to do?

Rob W2

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
My phone (Galaxy S4) did not receive texts on Sunday afternoon from a friend but I was able to send texts to their phone successfully. I tried Keith's suggestion and found his number was not set as a spam number. So what I did the next day was to delete all the text messages history I had from my friend which was about 2.5 years worth and this fixed the problem. Whether there was just a network/ technical glitch the day before I guess will never know...

Rose112054

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
This is the perfect reason why I don't download apps!! I downloaded Messenger about a week ago and I CAN NOT get my messages from my numbers in my phone book!!! I have to DOWNLOAD them.... which DOESN'T work!! I have an Android Alcatel. If​ this continues and DOESN'T get fixed, I will delete Messenger and NEVER download anything ever again... I am disabled and live alone AND I NEED my phone to work..
PROPERLY!!! THIS IS BS!!

Gwen Schmitz

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I have tried deleting and adding back the few contacts who am not receiving, but didn't work. Help

Same problem, and tried the deleting and re adding, but didn't work! The other suggestion, re: applications, I can't find applications, but, I have an android, so any help would be great!

easygoer33

Dec 11, 2018
Visit site
Kieth, thank you so much! You're instructions solved my infuriating problem!

I recently had this problem. I have two phones - a personal phone - Pixel 2 XL on T-Mobile and a work phone - iPhone 7 on Verizon. My Pixel would not be able to receive texts from my work phone on Verizon or several friends who were on Verizon also. I was able to send text messages from my Pixel to iPhone but not the other way around. Finally after multiple calls to T-Mobile tech support, one knowledgeable technician was able to help me. It turns out T-Mobile's back end team had to contact Verizon who changed some settings on their end on how messages were being routed to my personal number and everything got fixed after that. Hopefully this info helps someone out there.

Lauradegrande

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I had the same problem on my new Galaxy s6 edge where I wasn't able to receive messages from anyone in my contacts. But I found the solution. Go to "settings" select "applications" then"application manager" scroll down to "contacts" and press it. Then hit "force close" then "clear data" after that, hit the back key then scroll down to your messaging app and do the same thing as you did under "contacts" ....force close, clear data. Hope this helps everyone.

Thank you Chad. This did it. Nothing else worked.I appeciate it.urge others to try it. Was a quick fix

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith