Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UJ95x
  • 2 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By djdonnyk
  • 1 Post By Zedd
  • 1 Post By flyinb501
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Should I get the S4?

So, had decided I was going to keep my s3, nothing really exciting out there to warrant a change. Fate said "NOT" when it slid off of a trash can onto concrete and cracked the face two days ago. New glass is $99, I can get an s4 for free on 6/1. What do you think S4 owners, give me pros/cons rants raves etc. Haters don't bother with the "plastic/touchwiz" crap as I like em both and demand a replaceable battery and Sd card. Weigh in and thanks in advance.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Should I get the S4?

I think this is an easy choice, as there's no other phones that offer what you're looking for (other than the Note 3). The display and camera are pretty significant upgrades, and for $100 less than fixing your current phone it's a no-brainer

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Golfdriver97 and hitsmanj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I think this is an easy choice, as there's no other phones that offer what you're looking for (other than the Note 3). The display and camera are pretty significant upgrades, and for $100 less than fixing your current phone it's a no-brainer

Make sure to get the spark compatible version. The original release wasn't spark capable.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    UJ95x and hitsmanj like this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Make sure to get the spark compatible version. The original release wasn't spark capable.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Ah, yes. Didn't notice this was the Sprint version...

I love my S4, no cons from me. I am eligible to upgrade to the S5 but in my opinion it's not much of a difference from my S4. I'm waiting to see what the note 4 will be like.

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams!
    hitsmanj likes this.

I had the S3 and now the S4. The S4 is a nice phone but so is the S3.
    Other than size I like the S3 as well if not better than the S4.
    If not having kit kat is eating at you I don't see what all or any of the hubub is about with kit kat, I'm not impressed.

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4
    hitsmanj likes this.

I'm in the same boat except I currently have the S2. I'm eligible for upgrade on 6/1, and trying to decide which phone to get. s4 = free, s5 = $150, HTC One = $150. I'm leaning towards the s4.
    hitsmanj likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I already think the s3 is too big, once you put a decent case on it it's a beast in your pants pocket, wish the mini had better specs, so moving to the bigger s5 is out. The one is nice, but I have to have a replaceable battery. Probably going with the s4 tomorrow.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

So I got the s4 on Sunday and seriously dig it. Samsung rep was at the store and was pushing s5 but once he realized I wasn't going to drop the extra $150 he was extremely helpful and got me and my wife and two kids hooked up (converted them all from iphone 4-Android win!) So far everything about the phone is an improvement on s3, nothing revolutionary, but after 2 years of s3 as a daily driver, the changes are very obvious and appreciated. Screen resolution and color amazing, UI improved in appearance and function, camera a vast upgrade, especially in outdoor shots. I am finding at least 5-10 new tweaks per day, I think this phone got a bad rep in initial reviews that degenerated into popular (read "Mob") opinion on these tech sites. If s2 or s3 is your main phone and you enjoy them, you will probably be happy moving to s4. Still a lot to learn, but so far I am very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by hitsmanj View Post
    So I got the s4 on Sunday and seriously dig it. Samsung rep was at the store and was pushing s5 but once he realized I wasn't going to drop the extra $150 he was extremely helpful and got me and my wife and two kids hooked up (converted them all from iphone 4-Android win!) So far everything about the phone is an improvement on s3, nothing revolutionary, but after 2 years of s3 as a daily driver, the changes are very obvious and appreciated. Screen resolution and color amazing, UI improved in appearance and function, camera a vast upgrade, especially in outdoor shots. I am finding at least 5-10 new tweaks per day, I think this phone got a bad rep in initial reviews that degenerated into popular (read "Mob") opinion on these tech sites. If s2 or s3 is your main phone and you enjoy them, you will probably be happy moving to s4. Still a lot to learn, but so far I am very pleased.
    I picked mine up on Sunday as well. So far, so good. Have you been prompted to download the system update?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
    I picked mine up on Sunday as well. So far, so good. Have you been prompted to download the system update?
    The sprint rep did ours at the store (bestbuy) via USB, said it would be faster than OTA. I'm showing version L720TVPUBNC6. Have had no issues, I am only using an 8gb sd card right now and note that about 15 apps are writing to it.