Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Missing OS

I was stupid enough to let my friend work on my phone for me. I was trying to get rid of some leftover data from apps and asked for help and he ended up erasing everything it seems. How can I re-install any version? I'm still a noob and only really work with rooting and have installed a custom rom. When I try too boot from the standard recovery it states that I am missing an Operating System entirely.

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Missing OS

Welcome to the forums.
    So you are running a custom ROM on this device?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes it was a custom rom. He said he flashed team win then erased somethings but it was everything the system file is empty. I got a .zip file of a tar that is a compatible version but I can't get it to unzip. Is there a way to install with a zipped .tar using odin?

Quote Originally Posted by GrimXI View Post
    Yes it was a custom rom. He said he flashed team win then erased somethings but it was everything the system file is empty. I got a .zip file of a tar that is a compatible version but I can't get it to unzip. Is there a way to install with a zipped .tar using odin?
    Can u boot into download mode? If so try and flash ur custom recovery and then flash a zip file.Try and maybe use a temporary Custom Recovery for now that is not zipped, and then install ur preferred one later

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Have you tried placing the .zip file for the ROM on an SD card, and reflashed in TWRP?

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

After the erase, TWRP stopped working and now its only the default android recovery. Where can i get a recovery to flash all i have is the root with the recovery combined but then it attempts too boot and loses the recovery.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I might have something, I tried a different compatible version and I was able to get an MD5 file out of the zip, flashing it now. I think it should allow the recovery that was installed to be usable as well because theres evidence that its is in there just not fully activated I guess. Ill update whether or not this works.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It worked but now my phone wont activate with service, is there a modem i need to update too?
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

It worked but now my phone wont activate with service, is there a modem i need to update too?
    What recovery are you using? You need a recovery that supports Loki because the S4 has the Knox bootloader

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hey last update, With all of your suggestions and help I was successful in fixing my issue! thanks, you really are the best.

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Glad you are up and running. Thanks for the follow up. See you around. The forums.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline