Google Maps is zapping my GPS

ACREYMAN

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what is going on here, but after a long road trip I noticed Google Maps was acting strange and not locking onto my location. The maps app seemed to find my location but as I started to navigate the location would remain stationary as I drove and would sometimes jump around to an area close to me but not quite. I learned that if I powered the phone off then back on I could navigate without issues for a single trip but if I tried to use it again then it would stop working....again. So I had to do the power off trick to get it working. I started digging around and verified the settings were as recommended on the various thread here (location on: WIFI plus GPS on) so then I suspected the GPS antenna or mechanism itself was messed up because after awhile the maps app would only work if I powered down AND took out the battery.

I downloaded the GPS status and tools app and could not find a GPS signal. I powered down and turned back on, same thing. I removed the battery and wala, GPS signal located when turned back on. I started Google maps and IMMEDIATELY the GPS signal was gone. Went back to the GPS app and confirmed it was gone. Removed battery and its back but it goes away as soon as I use Google Maps.

So is the phone GPS toast or is this some dumb app setting I am missing. Again I didn't change ANYTHING or download any additional apps and this problem just started to pop up. I only downloaded the GPS app after I noticed a problem. Any ideas?

ACREYMAN

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Furthermore, I just decided to download several map apps and check if those do the same thing. Yep. The GPS tools app does not kill my GPS but any type of Navigation app just shuts it down and I have to remove battery to get it back.

ACREYMAN

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how to erase this post because it needs to be changed to, GPS just DIES after a few minutes of removing battery and turning back on. I keep trying different things as far as trouble shooting. This time I just turned it on and let it sit for a few minutes. The GPS signal was gone after about 3 minutes, even with the GPS tools app. Removed batter, signal back when turned on, minute later its gone again. I am within my 1 year warrant so I guess its going back to Best Buy unless someone has an idea of what is going on.