Home button skips swipe screen

krasher2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This just started. Whenever I hit the home button, it skips the swipe screen and goes straight to the homescreen. This is, of course, causing problems when the phone is in my pocket, but also sometimes I just like to see what the time or weather is (using Chronus as a lockscreen widget.) Am running 4.4.2 with lockscreen set to swipe. Interestingly, this only occurs if I wait for the screen to turn off on its own. If I put it to sleep by hitting the power button, pressing the home button brings me to the swipe screen.

Any idea on how to restore normal functionality?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On most devices, you can set an interval for how long it takes for the phone to lock. On my Nexus 5, it's Settings>Security>Automatically lock. I have it set to 2 minutes, which means that 2 minutes after the device goes to sleep, it will lock. If I wake the device before those 2 minutes are up, it will bypass the screenlock. I also have "Power button instantly locks" checked, which means that if I press the Power button to sleep the phone, then when I turn it on again, I have to unlock it.

krasher2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply. In theory, if your lockscreen method is Swipe, it should always appear when you wake up your phone. So what's happening now with my S4 is that I'm not getting the Swipe lockscreen when I wake up the phone with the Home button. That's really the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly. If your lockscreen method is Swipe, then that will show up only when the phone has locked, based on the options you select. If the phone hasn't yet met that lock criteria, then turning the screen back on (either with the Power or the Home button) will dump you back onto the homescreen, bypassing the lockscreen.

krasher2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Not entirely true -- if I set the lockscreen to Swipe, yes, the Home button dumps me to the homescreen, but the Power button gets me to the Swipe screen. Something changed at some point, though, because the Home button used to always put me on the Swipe screen.

Anyway, it looks like I solved this by using Widget Locker. I always get the Swipe screen now (Widget Locker's swipe screen, but that's fine).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's an odd discrepancy. I can't test it out, since I don't have a device with a Home button. Glad you figured out a solution!

krasher2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung definitely altered the lockscreen/security piece from stock android. And they're always changing things. Very annoying.

Thanks for insights, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo