S4 will say charging but battery life goes down when screen is on.

Zachary Gebis

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung S4- Rooted
Software version: 7720VPUGHO1
Hardware Version: L720.08
Android version: 5.0.1
Kernel: 3.4.0-4745659+
Build Number: LRX22C.L720VPUGHOH1

Issue: Battery will discharge when the phones screen is on or phone is being used, even if the phone is connected to power and the phone states it is charging.

Last Change before noticing this problem (may have caused): Delete Dumpstate/logcat, and cleared cache.

Troubleshooting steps performed

Changed usb cables, swapped wall chargers, tried different batteries, changed the internal usb port and board. Reset phone to defaults, re-installed (reflashed) the os with odin. Tired high quality usb cables by vendors like “Monster”.

If I plug my phone into the charger that I have been using for a very long time without issues the phone will say charging (show icon and beep), but as I use it the % of capacity of battery drops. If I turn the screen off by pressing the lock button, the battery will charge at what appears to be a normal charge rate until it reaches 100%.

Phone no longer covered under any warranty or service plans. I own it outright, this is my problem I can’t just make it someone else’s.
Strange thing is when one presses *#9900# the option “low battery dump” and “TCP DUMP START” are grayed out by you can still toggle them.

Any ideas?
Screenshot_2015-10-28-17-21-53[1].jpgScreenshot_2015-10-28-17-23-03[1].jpgScreenshot_2015-10-28-17-22-24[1].jpg

Last edited: