Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

any ETA on DC?

and hope its not just the small city of DC
    hopefully PG county and NOVA as well?

I hope Miami & Orlando get 4G srvc soon...
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 05-14-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post
    any ETA on DC?

and hope its not just the small city of DC
    hopefully PG county and NOVA as well?

I've had the Overdrive for about a month now and just last week I started noticing 4G around the Dulles Airport area. I haven't traveled to Arlington or Fairfax to test yet but the speeds aren't good. I'm averaging about half a megabyte (500k) up and down. I'm not sure if they've turn it on but are limiting speeds or what but they're definitely lighting it up in this area.
    Regional Leg Breaker

Global Posts
    7,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    Too many to list...

You know what's weird? Everett, WA isn't on that list, but when you look on Sprint's coverage map, it has full 4G coverage (with a few small spotty areas). Well, at least I have 30 days to figure out if I'm covered.
    Last edited by 12MaNy; 05-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exstatica View Post
    Sprint WiMax Tower in Los Angeles near LAX...

rest of the photos are here...
    Those pictures are great.. thanks for posting them. I'm surprised at how small those panels are though.

Quote Originally Posted by 12MaNy View Post
    You know what's weird? Everett, WA isn't on that list, but when you look on Sprint's coverage map, it has full 4G coverage (with a few small spotty areas). Well, at least I have 30 days to figure out if I'm covered.
    Your in good shape Jason ,I on the other hand wont see 4G for some time..im thinking late 2011 - Virginia Beach ,VA
    It will be fun paying that $10.00 fee for everyone elses 4G enjoyment though.

Sprint Rocks lol
    Last edited by slingbox; 05-15-2010 at 05:05 PM.

why no Phoenix, AZ.... would make me feel alot better about that 10 bucks if I could at least use it a couple times a month when I go down there, prescott valley would be nice but without even having 3G here I doubt they are too worried about the PV poopulation getting 4G...

Quote Originally Posted by 12MaNy View Post

I cant believe everett, WA is one of the first places to get 4G if it actually does. I will NEVER miss everett...

Los Angeles is getting 4G, hopefully they spread the love 2 hour's east in Palm Springs SOON! If i'm paying an extra 10 i'd like to enjoy it.

do they put up one big tower or multiple towers?

what's the effective range of each tower?

Los Angeles is one of the listed cities to get WiMax, will Orange County be included?

I am dismayed that Ohio is still pending, and even more shocked that Columbus isn't on the list.

Who has the info bout NYC..I know they said by the end of year...but someone said might release 4G in NYC earlier in time of Evo release...How tru is this..Anyone else heard of this ??? I got no PATIENCE and HATE WAITINGGG !
    Last edited by R2D2 631; 05-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Regional Leg Breaker

Global Posts
    7,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    Too many to list...

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
    I cant believe everett, WA is one of the first places to get 4G if it actually does. I will NEVER miss everett...

...and Everett will NEVER miss you.

What do you find so bad about Everett anyway? I just moved here from Seattle and I like it better. I live about 3 blocks from Forrest Park...really nice neighborhood to say the least.

You of all people should know that WA has excellent Sprint coverage. Therefore, quite a few cities here are getting 4G (including Snohomish)
    Last edited by 12MaNy; 05-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 631 View Post
    Who has the info bout NYC..I know they said by the end of year...but someone said might release 4G in NYC earlier in time of Evo release...How tru is this..Anyone else heard of this ??? I got no PATIENCE and HATE WAITINGGG !
    I am curious about this too. I want to know how far the 4G will spread into the neighboring suburbs. i am hoping Long Island gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    I am curious about this too. I want to know how far the 4G will spread into the neighboring suburbs. i am hoping Long Island gets it.
    I heard that Once NYC has 4G , Long Island would also have it at the same time....I hope so..I live on LI but work all day in Manhattan.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

On NYC, no one can say for sure but here are some reasonable guesses based on other markets before they got 4G, like Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Vegas, etc.

Those markets worked many many months before officially released. The suburbs were covered sporadically, but more than 75% at launch. Given that NYC has been announced for this year, it's reasonable to say that at least a portion will function (unofficially) by the time Evo comes out. Given that other markets had suburbs working before launch, NYC likely will have at least a portion up and running too. When officially launched, expect at least 75% of metro (CT/NJ included) to have 4G.

I'm in KC, which was announced to get WiMAX this summer. I know someone already using it in may parts of the metro on both sides of state line, but there are some parts we'd expect to have it but doesn't yet. Downtown and most dense areas or business districts already have it, but not all major ones yet.

Someone else asked how much area does a site cover.... Typically 3-6 miles radius (30 to 100 sq. miles) depending on terrain/buildings. When MIMO antennas come out, probably more distance and better in-building access.

Nothing in NJ..?! Nothing even on the map..?!? There are more people in NJ than any of the cities mentioned.... sigh...

San Diego needs 4g.. any news on it coming?

I am still waiting on DC area. Still surprised they did Baltimore first. I hope they can get the DC metro sometime this year. Sure would be GREAT with the Evo coming out soon..

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

DC/Baltimore already have WiMAX but not on Clear maps yet. It's still under the Sprint Xohm banner I think, before the Clear merger. Baltimore is officially available. DC not officially announced yet but word is, it's broadly available and will be announced 'soon'.

BTW, here are the Clear maps...

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    DC/Baltimore already have WiMAX but not on Clear maps yet. It's still under the Sprint Xohm banner I think, before the Clear merger. Baltimore is officially available. DC not officially announced yet but word is, it's broadly available and will be announced 'soon'.

BTW, here are the Clear maps...
    xenophon - I'm another DC soon-to-be EVO user. Pardon my ignorance, but you're saying that I won't need to wait for Clear to add 4G in DC?... my EVO will recognize and use 4G in DC as soon as I start it up?

Any info/updates/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Just saying 'word is' WiMAX is already operating in many areas of DC already. But I can't guarantee Evo will access it. Just saying it's likely. Check 4gforums.com. Some are confirming parts of DC has WiMAX now.

Edit: See this....
    Last edited by xenophon; 05-17-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Boy Genius reports 4G is live here in Boston, I haven't seen that reported anywhere else but am very hopeful. Surely we will be live here in the hub by Fall when all those MIT, Harvard, etc kids come back?

Can't wait for June 4th!

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

I suspect Clear is way ahead of schedule on deployment for markets announced for this year. They may not have 90% of metro areas for official launch but I'd bet there be big swaths available by Evo launch and then they officially announce markets latter when having 80%-90% covered.

Actually it's not even worth betting on... it has been confirmed many of the planned markets already have access many months before announcement.

i wonder when NY, NY is getting and kinda surprised they dont have it hear already ... first i heard june timeframe then i am hearing end of year ... grrr...
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast