Any easy way to get a early upgrade?

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know a way I can try to get my upgrade early? I have 63 days until my upgrade and wanted to see about getting it early. I called and told them my EVO 4g charging port was broken and Sprint store rep told me that they couldn't fix it and I had to use my insurance to get a new phone. So I called Sprint and told them what happened and I explained that my upgrade was in 63 days and I didn't want to spend $100 for another EVO when I could use that towards a new phone with my upgrade. I asked them if I could get my upgrade early so I didn't waste $100 and have to spend more money on a new phone when my upgrade was available. The lady asked me a few questions and said I would have to use my insurance and pay the $100. Then she asked if I had a extra phone to use until my upgrade came in November. I told her no, so she said hold on I will talk to a supervisor, so she had me on hold for a few mins then told me her supervisor said he would not approve me for a early upgrade and to pay the $100 deductible. She said a few years ago they used to give you the early upgrades in situations like this but all she can do now is give me a early upgrade only by 2 weeks. So should I try at a different time and speak to a different supervisor OR am I screwed for now? Thanks guys.

thesmj

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I came to ask the same question as the OP. My Pre- is failing, and I'd love to upgrade to the Epic Touch, but my upgrade doesn't come up until November.

Tried going into chat on Sprint's site and asking about that, and was told I needed to call. I'm wondering if I should try to do this through Sprint's customer care line, then go to a Sprint store and buy the phone, or if I should try to get the upgrade pushed though at the Sprint store when I purchase the phone.

Can a Sprint store give you an early upgrade, or must you go though the customer care line?

thesmj

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Just called Sprint CCare and Retentions, and this is what I have learned:

Neither CCare or Retentions could give me the upgrade right now. While CCare couldn't really do anything aside from give me the option for a refurb phone (to replace my aging Pre) until my upgrade is available on November 1st,

CCare said the date of the upgrade cannot be changed changed at all, although they used to be able to key in a different date up until a few months ago. Retentions said they could push the date up to a max of 14 days (2 weeks) before the normal upgrade date, but anything beyond that would be impossible as the system will not allow them to.

I took the 14 days break offered by retentions, as it seems thats the best they can do. Now my upgrade is a month away, rather than a month and a half. I guess thats better than nothing.

lilzone

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get my upgrade bumped up by a year when the 3-d came out, went through 4 evo's and was very persistent with them when they told me I couldn't get another replacement phone and if I wanted something different I would have to pay full price. It took me almost a week of calling back but in the end they were able to change it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest calling and asking for Account Services. As eve6er69 said, they seem to be the people to talk to in regards to this kind of stuff. I have dealt with them on several occasions, and they have always been able to get things done, without having to "talk to a supervisor" about it.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
EVO charging ports are covered under Service and Repair as long as it's still on the board and there's no liquid damage/corrosion. Just go get a replacement and hang out until your upgrade.

vaportrail

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Good to know that, my usb port has been broken for a few months now and I'm getting tired of swapping batteries all the time. I called Sprint last night to see about getting an upgrade or just paying the ETF.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get my upgrade change also when I got my evo 3d since I was originally on the Premier plan that allowed yearly upgrade. This was back in June. Now my brother is trying to do the same and he spoke to reps, ccare, retention, and even emailed dan@sprint.com who someone at the office of Dan called him and told him that they don't do this anymore for anyone and I and a few of sprint users got lucky to have it done for them before. So I think the system does not allow it anymore even if they wanted to. If anyone has been able to do this recently please like this month or so please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes