Airave Complaints.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When I got my airave everything was fine. A new day. Perfect service. Everything worked great. Not it's becoming a headache and a half.

After about 5 minutes on the phone the person on the other line can hear me; but, I can't hear them. I tried resetting everything and changing things around. Nothing. Still happens. I also notice that when I now make calls my service goes from full to 1 bar. However, it's still beeping that I'm connecting to the airave.

Then, like clock work. Every time I hit 5:01 on call time I can't hear the person on the other line anymore.

I called up Sprint. They made me run some VOIP speed test online. Coming from those results they told me I needed to call me ISP. I did so. When I spoke to them they said my internet connection was exceptional and I was getting above average speeds, no loss, etc. (Corresponding with my own speed tests).

I called Sprint back and told them what my ISP told me. They said "Hmm". They, then, reset my Airave remotely. Told me it would take about 2 hours to reset and they would call back. 5 minutes later my airave was connected and set up again. Still having the problem.

At that point they told me well maybe it's your router or modem. Same router and modem I've been using since I got it and no problems. I've already messed with those a bit resetting them and what not and still have the problem.

I had turned the airave off and said forget it. I can't make calls anyways. I put it back on, however, since it will still allow me to browser the internet and send SMS (Which I can't do without it). So why do I have messed up calls. It's really becoming a pain!

Anyone else have bad experiences with this thing?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why we just don't have wifi calling like T-Mobile. Wouldn't it be easier than giving people free Airaves? (Not that - that is normal practice but it seems like they hand them out like free samples at costco).

Would make everyone's life easier. AND, it doesn't just work at your house/office. It'll help you where ever you can get WiFi. And I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else; but, seeing that Sprint service typically isn't as good indoors as outdoors: wouldn't that make you want their service more? Know that you'll always have coverage indoors as long as you have WiFi.

Most people have WiFi in their homes. I have other peoples WiFi from their house saved in my phone. I also have Optimum WiFi hotspots I can connect to. AND, there are free hot spots ALLLLL over. Like in the mall.. where again.. I get terrible service. Just makes more sense to me. But what do I know, lol.

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That would happen to me when I had the old samsung airave. I now have the newer airvana airave access point that also supports EVDO (if my wifi isn't working), and this version has been pretty much flawless. VoIP services have yet to prove themselves over straight wireline or wireless...

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That would happen to me when I had the old samsung airave. I now have the newer airvana airave access point that also supports EVDO (if my wifi isn't working), and this version has been pretty much flawless. VoIP services have yet to prove themselves over straight wireline or wireless...

Mine is also an Airvana.

stygshore

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am on my 5th or 6th Airave device, they all seem to work for a few months and then start malfunctioning. My main issue is there is a 2-3 second delay in my speaking to the person on the other end hearing me. This usually results in me talking all over the person on the other end.

Other issues I have experienced:
Nobody in range able to receive calls (Never connects)
Nobody in range able to receive calls (Straight to Voicemail)
Nobody in range able to make calls (Network busy message)
Poor audio quality makes me sound like a robot
Poor sound quality sounds like I am talking through a tin can or down a tunnel

Styg

thesmj

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The problem you are having is caused by you upload bandwidth being saturated - usually by other devices/computers. Try making a call with just your airrave connected to your modem/router, and see if the person you are calling can hear you clearly.
If there is no upload bandwidth available, the person on the other end of the call can't hear your voice, as the airrave is trying to upload it to the Sprint server, while you are downloading the persons voice on the other end of the call from the Sprint server. A single call needs a steady 6 KB/s upload bandwidth available. If any of your computers or other devices are uploading data (IE, running bittorrent, etc) that can easily swamp your upload bandwidth.

You can either use the QoS capability of your router, or you can use software on your computer(s) to limit their total upload bandwidth to the WAN (internet).

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Airave for about 3 years now. Never to many issues. Other than it messes up my GPS..So bad that it thinks I am in NH! Yet I live in VT? Go figure right? But hey the texts still work and my call quality is OK. I talk to my girlfriend nightly who is also a Sprint customer and she lives in Boston. She says the call quality is VERY bad. Yet when I am back in town and I call her from a normal Sprint tower she hears me loud and clear. So I don't know. Like you I have given up and only use it so that my battery and text work. Plus Sprint pays for it for me. I didn't drop a dime into it. So I cant really complain.

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
my wife's new SGSIIE4GT (haha I laugh everytime i type that) is having major SMS issues, she will send an SMS and randomly it will be received between 4-9 times on the other side. also sometimes she will have to send the SMS 2-5 times to get it to actually go out.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
my wife's new SGSIIE4GT (haha I laugh everytime i type that) is having major SMS issues, she will send an SMS and randomly it will be received between 4-9 times on the other side. also sometimes she will have to send the SMS 2-5 times to get it to actually go out.

HAha!

Sadly my E3D has done the same thing. I think this is pretty common on Sprint's network! :p

oespinoza83

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have mine connected to the modem and router along with the signal booster item that comes with the Airave. I have had it for almost a year now and only had a problem with it once. The problem lasted about a week and it wasn't even a phone problem. It was disturbing the internet connection (since it connects the modem to the router) and kept knocking the WiFi offline. I unplugged all 3 items, rebooted them, and all was fine since.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about giving mine back. I've had it unplugged for over a week now and I'm experiencing better performance without it. Mins the data (But I have my WiFi for that). At least I can stay on a call longer 5 minutes. And, not sure what is is; but, now I can make calls in my house. Must have been one of those software updates. ;)

k1dude

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread:

I have an Airave and I'm not impressed. It constantly needs to be reset. It might last a day or 2 and then it's reset time.

Even when it's working it performs poorly. I can be standing 3 feet away and it only gets 3 bars out of 5. If you're more than 20 feet away, forget it. There won't be any benefit from having one. Right now I'm about 25 feet away and I only have 1 bar out of 5. That's what I used to get without the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37