So tried Verizons LTE today and im jealous....

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So my cousin got the Droid Bionic and dropped it off for me to root and rom...

i took full advantage of this opportunity to play since ive never even messed with true LTE before.

so i switched lte on and did some speed tests, WOW was i BLOWN away.
the speeds are FASTER than my roadrunner broadband!
heres a speedtest i did.
1536593616.png

with sprint we dont even have 4g, i know of some hwy stretches where 4g is available, so ive tried it and the most ive gotten was 8mbs down, but 27?!?!? that stuff FLIES and i didnt even have full bars in my house.

i thought LTE was fast, but i didnt know it was that fast.

needless to say im jealous,

i fully understand you dont have unlimited data (he luckily is grandfathered) and our plan prices cant be beat, but damn i just wish we could have speeds like that.
i was beyond impressed.

anyone else gotten to play with lte or 4g from another carrier?

EDIT:
i have heard this is the slower end of LTE,
i heard its common to get 35mbs down!
thats just crazy.

Last edited:

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea Tmobiles 4g is crazy fast also! Most carriers blow us away with speed, 27mbps down is crazy!
At some point if your just basic surfing will you even need that kind of speed? Lol but its always good to have blazing fast capabilities! Keep in mind Sprint was out the starting gate first providing 4g speeds in like 08' & 09' those speeds were crazy then! Although Sprints loss the LTE battle, the war its anything yet but over! Stick with the underdog; "RUDY, RUDY, RUDY" LOL !

I'll keep my $ in my pocket monthly you'll pay for those 27mbps bragging rights! Besides 11mbps is more than enough for me!

Reactions: Lavitapostandroid

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
what are you going to do with 27mb when you can only use 2gb of it. Seriously unless you are grandfathered in the tiered data is pointless. I am sticking with sprint until they launch LTE so I can keep my unlimited plan. Sprint will have LTE mainstream before ATT, I think the T-mobile merger is going to hold them back with their LTE plans.

Reactions: VickMackey#AC

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I mean really. If I get 4-6, that's plenty fast enough to do anything I need. The crappy thing is that everyone's so happy about the move to lte when it will probably mean the end of unlimited data. So what good is it. I'd rather have unlimited wimax all day than crippled lte.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I mean really. If I get 4-6, that's plenty fast enough to do anything I need. The crappy thing is that everyone's so happy about the move to lte when it will probably mean the end of unlimited data. So what good is it. I'd rather have unlimited wimax all day than crippled lte.

Well when I go to visit Boston I get Wimax 4G. But the issue is it doesn't work all that well inside so I end up just leaving it off. My understanding is LTE just works better but not as fast. Is this true? If so i wouldn't mind paying more for it if it worked inside buildings better than Wimax.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

If verizon grandfathered people in, and att grandfathered people in after they went limited. I am sure as hell the people that already have sprint will be grandfathered in.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well when I go to visit Boston I get Wimax 4G. But the issue is it doesn't work all that well inside so I end up just leaving it off. My understanding is LTE just works better but not as fast. Is this true? If so i wouldn't mind paying more for it if it worked inside buildings better than Wimax.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

LTE on Verizon should be somewhat faster than WiMax on Clear/Sprint in identical radio environments when both networks are loaded the same. Additionally, LTE on Verizon at 777 MHz will have generally better building penetration and much better atmospheric attenuation characteristics than WiMax at >2550 MHz given the same transmission power.

Verizon's LTE is getting an artificially good reputation at the moment because the network is much less loaded than is Clear/Sprint's.

Once the same number of devices are on each network WiMax may end up faster as Clear generally stacks 3 10MHz sectors (for 30 MHz total) where Verizon is limited to 10+10 MHz. The other side of that is that Clear/Sprint don't have caps, which means their users are going to use a lot more, which will probably drag down the performance overall to below Verizon in the end.

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing just fine with sprints wimax till they get lte it has gotten me through a few movies on netflix just fine so I'm happy =D.. now if I can just get this autocorrection to conform to my typing........

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I made the move to get grandfathered in on unlimited data plans on AT&T (Waiting for their 4G Network), Verizon 4G w/ unlimited tethering (Insane Fast), and now Sprint (Decent 4G speeds, hopefully Sprint won't put an axe the unlimited plan like they did with aircards, even though ur grandfathered in!)

Sent from my SPH-D710

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sprint will roll out LTE which by then, I'll be an old man in a rocking chair telling my grandkids to turn that damn music down lol

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If verizon grandfathered people in, and att grandfathered people in after they went limited. I am sure as hell the people that already have sprint will be grandfathered in.

wish they could have grandfathered us in to keep our Premier Upgrades. But I guess letting ppl get new phones every year costs more than letting ppl keep unlimited data.

And about Verizons LTE...it is pretty dang fast. Played around with a guys phone at work and he was getting like 14-17 Mbps here in ATL, while I was getting 6-9Mbps. The real world application of those speeds did not matter though. We both tried to do some unscientific tests in the browser, streaming, and downloading things, and there was no difference really. So our 4G is enough (if you are even lucky enough to have 4G). But those better stats on Verizon still pissed me off lol

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well its 4 now but still

I am thinking of the $50 10GB plan (with double data) because that will work with my discount of 20%. So I can get 10GB for $40 with discount or 4GB for $30. I like the idea of 10GB :)

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Like many others have already said, I'm ok w Wimax for now. And Sprint will have LTE. Then LTE Advanced. In the end I'm afraid we will all be paying like Verizon for our plans... Who knows. We shall see. I do predict they will come w it when they do. I only hope they still have unlimited plans!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Arken

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
That's crazy, I just picked up a new phone and plan from Sprint and my data sucks. I barely get 500kbps down let alone 27mbps. I really hope sprint does something soon because what good is unlimited if you can't even utilize it.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's crazy, I just picked up a new phone and plan from Sprint and my data sucks. I barely get 500kbps down let alone 27mbps. I really hope sprint does something soon because what good is unlimited if you can't even utilize it.

You have to go with what works for you for coverage and cost. I have found Sprint's speeds to continue to decline. In almost every example from my testing between V and S, Verizon came out on top for 3g and 4g data speeds over 95% of the time.

Sent from my EVO 3D

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
For those saying you're limit on data with Verizon... I just switched last week and there's a way to get unlimited data again. :p Read the Verizon forums.

And damn it's fast! My LTE vs FiOS

f0iZQ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox