Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Default Future QWERTY phones?

I'm a total niche consumer insisting my phone has a QWERTY physical keyboard. None of the new phones these days seem to have this option.

I'm wondering if we're likely to see any future Android phones that have:
    1. Physical keyboard
    2. dual core
    3. 4G

TIA

Default Re: Future QWERTY phones?

Outlook Not Promising...

I think most prefer full touch its a bit of technology evolving, its even on digital cameras & microwaves washer dryers, vending machines ect. You'll come around I was the same way when I finally said bye to keyboards years ago with my G1! YOU COULDN'T PAY ME TO USE A QWERTY PHONE NOW! with so much new technology such as Swype, Swiftkey ect. Eventually you probably won't miss it.

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Default Re: Future QWERTY phones?

Quote Originally Posted by puchika View Post
    I'm a total niche consumer insisting my phone has a QWERTY physical keyboard. None of the new phones these days seem to have this option.

I'm wondering if we're likely to see any future Android phones that have:
    1. Physical keyboard
    2. dual core
    3. 4G

TIA
    The closest currently seems to be the HTC DoubleShot on T-Mobile. I am also one of the "old-timers" that likes physical keyboards, despite all the Swype and other virtual keyboard technologies. I hope one day, we won't be forced to use virtual keyboards for our computers as well!!!

Sadly, very few keyboard phones come out and the ones that do are mostly mid to low end. All the high end phones seem to be slates.

I am holding out for a Droid 4 on Verizon with LTE.

I actually see the merits of both. I have always said if I could port android to my blackberry bold in would have the perfect phone for me. Nothing beats a blackberry keyboard imo. In fact, since I'm riding out the contract on a third line I reactivated my bold and have Google voice downloaded to it so I can text with it sometimes, or write lengthy emails that are too long for a touchscreen but not long enough for me to justify the computer.

Unfortunately, it seems like keyboards on android devices are going by the wayside, and those that have them either a) are sliders or b) feel cheaply made. I personally don't like sliders at all, so none of the phones with keyboards do it for me.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I too can see the usefulness of both. But i still like my vkb! I wouldn't want it any other way! My pre had both. But in the end the vkb was best outcome for me. Even for long emails and text.

But still they have their place in the world....and it seems like a small one sadly. I hope they make some more though.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com

ROM
    ICS Source Build

There were leaked shots of the Droid 4 shown.( and Motorola has a Canadian phone BB style with 4g that's on the way if I'm not mistaken, don't know if Sprint will get something like that in the future) But are you planning to stick with Sprint?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Juanito216; 10-28-2011 at 05:10 AM.