1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Sprint Blocking Tethering Apps in the Android Market?

I was reading in another forum that Sprint is blocking wireless tethering apps in the Android market. I donít have an Android phone yet so I canít check to see if this is correct. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if they are blocking the wireless tethering, are they also blocking wired tethering via USB. I am considering updating my very old Windows phone which has wired tethering as a standard (free) feature. Itís very slow, but it works and I would hate to give up tethering when I upgrade.

BTW, I do understand that wireless and/or wired tethering is NOT a standard (free) feature on the Sprint Android phone, but it appears that Sprint has not tried to prevent it until I read they were blocking wireless tethering apps in the Android market.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ssedgwick; 11-03-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

They are blocking tethering apps from the market, but they still seem to work if the app is installed on the phone. I have had EasyTether on my EVO for a long time. When I open up the market, it shows up under "not installed" apps. When I open up the app in the market, it says "This item is not available on your carrier". However, since the app is actually installed on my phone, I am still able to use it to tether.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Can't you just download it from amazon anyways? I know you can buy. I have not tried to install it yet. I just always see it on sale.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Default Re: Is Sprint Blocking Tethering Apps in the Android Market?

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Can't you just download it from amazon anyways? I know you can buy. I have not tried to install it yet. I just always see it on sale.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D
    Yes, even if the carriers block an app on the Android market, you can always side-load the app yourself or look for it on other app markets.

For instance, I got a wireless tethering application which is blocked on the Android Market by Verizon. I got it from the developer's website by looking for it on Google. I just downloaded the .apk file to my SD card, ran it and it was installed and working perfectly!
    Last edited by nerdydesi; 11-04-2011 at 03:03 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks everyone, sounds like it's a non-issue...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks everyone, sounds like it's a non-issue...

I just searched "Wireless Tether" on Android Market and there's no dearth of options.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

does anyone have a side load way to get PDA Net back on my phone? I have an EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by jase700 View Post
    does anyone have a side load way to get PDA Net back on my phone? I have an EVO 4G
    Did you try downloading it from the devs site?
    Last edited by prolongExistence; 04-24-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/4AiUNSMC

Mine
    - Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.3)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

If you have a non rooted phone - theres an app called foxfi that works pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    Did you try downloading it from he devs site?
    Thanks for the link. I had to get a replacement Evo3D and find pda net on Google play.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2