Recommend current phone for "Mom" type user

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm visiting my mom for Christmas and she has expressed some interest in a smartphone after seeing me use my Evo and all that it can do. All she's ever used are those crappy Sprint flip phones that are now totally obsolete. She's in her early 60s and isn't real techy like I am. She won't be doing any hacking, rooting, or serious gaming and just wants a good Android (or, gasp!, iOS) experience. Can anyone recommend a current mid-level smartphone for someone like I described? Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The LG Marquee and the EVO Design are both solid phones. The Photon is also a great choice.

She might be happier with the bigger screen of the Epic Touch but that's more money.

Of course, buying an original EVO for her probably isn't a bad idea. Great antenna, good software, and a great phone. Pick one up on craigslist and use her upgrade for yourself. ;)

Also, she might be better suited for an iPhone 4 or 4s. Siri might be something she'd use. Accessories and what-not are very plentiful as well. You seem to prefer Android like myself, but the iPhone is good and there's lots of help/info about them everywhere. Next to no "apps" are exclusive to Android. While you might not ever consider it (nor would I), it might be a better fit for her and less on your shoulders.

Ulver982

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
My mom is pretty thick headed when it comes to technology. She was going to get an iPhone but I let her use my Nexus S when I got the Galaxy Nexus and she loves it. She's learning it pretty quick which surprised me.

Sent from my GSM Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My mom is in her late 70's and she got confused with the Android phones so we went with the iPhone 4S. It is on backorder and she doesn't have it yet.

She gets confused checking her email on her home computer, too if that tells you her level of tech savvy-ness.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife got the Evo Design 4G at launch and I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Yeah, looking at the current line-up I was considering this one as well. Basically I have it narrowed down to the Evo Design or the 4S. What has me worried is that several of my friends got Android devices and after awhile they started saying that a iPhone will be their next device. So, a lot of people just aren't sold on the Android experience (me NOT being one of them). My mom still uses the email service that comes with her ISP if that tells you guys anything. I don't live in the same state as she so I want her to have the least amount of trouble possible. Hell, I'm just excited she wants a smartphone!

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought my mom an Epic. Her main requirement was slider, and I already know the phone inside & out in case she has problems. Wirefly had it for $50 so that helped too.

So far she loves it, also not being tech savvy and coming from dumbphones.

Sent from my hoe. Forgive the typoes; it's an Epic.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
We have more returns from these 'mom' types when they get android's. Usually iOS is easier for them to learn and navigate through. I would recommend an i4s. But if you do decided android then epic touch for the bigger screen.

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If it was me, because Mom considers me her remote Tech Support, I would get something I am familiar with. Just makes it that much eaiser.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress