Picked up a 4G Signal in Los Angeles!

atrpm

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Cincinnati and we are supposed to get it by the end of the year but you know I will be trying every single day untill I get a signal!!!

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Be aware that Sprint is in the active testing phase for LA. That means you will see access on the EVO, but likely for a short period of time until they turn it off again.

bronx889

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's a little bit of a secret but there have been towers in Santa Monica for about six months, it's a slow test deployment but you'll see a couple more here and there, with a full roll out by the end of the year. Great news right?!

I live a block away from the Promenade. Any ideas where in Santa Monica the towers are (i.e. downtown, Pier, etc.)? Are the towers "live" yet?

A Sprint rep at local Sprint Store told me the Los Angeles rollout of 4G would happen during the summer and would include Santa Monica but I was skeptical. I thought Sprint would first concentrate on downtown L.A. then move west.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Good to see what the antenna looks like. Just like a big wireless router.

There is a water tower on a hill outside my office with all the repeaters on it here in Poway, I'll have to keep an eye out if they're doing anything up there. Can see it out the window. Of course here, I can just use wifi. Same at home.

irwinm

May 28, 2010
Visit site
that's awesome news! I'm an iPhone 3GS user and want to get the EVO - AT&T here in Los Angeles sucks - I'm at 5th and Flower and literally when I get a 3G signal (which is spotty no matter what the bars say) even out on the street I get a max of 0.8 mBs.. How's the 3G signal for Sprint downtown here?

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
that's awesome news! I'm an iPhone 3GS user and want to get the EVO - AT&T here in Los Angeles sucks - I'm at 5th and Flower and literally when I get a 3G signal (which is spotty no matter what the bars say) even out on the street I get a max of 0.8 mBs.. How's the 3G signal for Sprint downtown here?

why would you want 3G when you can have 4G!!! lol

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
What we need is an app that lets our phones assist in mapping out coverage areas. Maybe to get real life coverage maps of existing markets, and expose towers not yet made public :)

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
well up until an hour ago I was willing to take up to 6 months of 3G so I was still curious - but if we can get live 4G right now I just don't know how I could pass it up! :D

I am not in LA. So i can't comment. I do get great signal when i do got to downtown LA. Some area's i lose signal but i guess its due to the buildings.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
with my sprint overdrive i pick up some 4g signal in downtown all the way to la cienega, and spotty in some spots in santa monica

MrLogan13

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you just start testing this out today??

Yeah, because I didn't think 4G was available in LA yet. I was just curious what would happen if I turned on the 4G antenna, and voila, 4G icon.

As far as the battery drain, I don't know if it's any worse than with 3G. The battery did drain, but I was heavily using the phone to browse and perform speed tests. lol

I ran five more speed tests during my lunch break, and I averaged 2.87 Mbps down and was consistently at 0.98 Mbps up, so I think the up is capped.