Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Picked up a 4G Signal in Los Angeles!

Came in to work today in downtown LA, and decided to turn on the 4G antenna just to see what would happen. Surprisingly, the Evo picked up a 4G signal. I was surprised, since 4G isn't scheduled to be rolled out in LA until later this year. Not that I'm complaining.

It's fast, man. Looks like that $10 Evo tax is paying off.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

i wonder if it'll make its way down to SD any time soon...

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    i wonder if it'll make its way down to SD any time soon...
    Dont hold this to me but i heard i will be rolled out in SD by the end of summer. Rumor has it that they are already rolling it out in Oceanside right now.

P.S. i heard the 4g by end of summer from an RS employee that just had talked to the Sprint rep an hour before i came into the store. I'd take that with a grain of salt really.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It's supposed to roll out in SD, too. Give it a try, they may have some towers up already.

ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

I am in Anaheim!! Would the LA Market cover Orange County??

ROM

i guess we'll just wait and find out on the 4th.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No. In Sprint's press release, they listed Anaheim separately. You guys are due to get 4G by the end of the year, too.

Yeah, I was wondering how far the 4G signal goes too. I live in Pasadena which is only about 10 miles east of LA so hopefully it has a good range.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Were you near a Radio Shack? Reports say they have been getting WiMax repeaters for launch day.

ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

Quote Originally Posted by MrLogan13 View Post
    No. In Sprint's press release, they listed Anaheim separately. You guys are due to get 4G by the end of the year, too.
    Well they said that about LA. I hope we can get a signal come June 4th!! lol Sprint make this happen for my bday!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 4G service in limited areas around Anaheim and SD. This was a pleasant surprise in LA!

I would love for SD to get it soon. What I'm hoping for is the Walmart deal to go through. I live right next to Qualcomm Stadium and there is a Walmart less than a mile from me.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by patinum View Post
    Were you near a Radio Shack? Reports say they have been getting WiMax repeaters for launch day.
    Fed from what? Doesn't a wimax repeater need an original wimax signal?

Unless they have wimax wireless routers now?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    Fed from what? Doesn't a wimax repeater need an original wimax signal?

Unless they have wimax wireless routers now?
    Yeah, even if that were the case, there needs to be a wimax signal already present to repeat, no?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by patinum View Post
    Oh, and nope. I wasn't anywhere near a RS.

It's a little bit of a secret but there have been towers in Santa Monica for about six months, it's a slow test deployment but you'll see a couple more here and there, with a full roll out by the end of the year. Great news right?!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Great news about San Diego! I'm in north county and will be sure to report after i get my phone if it's working in Oceanside

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Sprint/Clear WiMax in Los Angeles | Exstatica

I have pictures of towers on our building near LAX. No 4g phone yet to test but I will next week
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by fortemusic View Post
    It's a little bit of a secret but there have been towers in Santa Monica for about six months, it's a slow test deployment but you'll see a couple more here and there, with a full roll out by the end of the year. Great news right?!
    That sounds awesome thanks for the info ! I live in Santa Monica and was worried about waiting for 4g coverage. Any idea of what's the coverage like? Is it usable around town or only in small spots? I can't wait for Friday!!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I'm going to roam around downtown when I'm on my lunch hour, and see how it is.

ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

Quote Originally Posted by MrLogan13 View Post
    I'm going to roam around downtown when I'm on my lunch hour, and see how it is.
    Download the speedtest.net app. Tell us what the speed

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I know when NYC gets its coverage, it's going to extend 15 miles around Manhattan. So maybe it's the same for LA?
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

I'm in Cincinnati and we are supposed to get it by the end of the year but you know I will be trying every single day untill I get a signal!!!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by BigRick10 View Post
    Download the speedtest.net app. Tell us what the speed
    Will do!

Be aware that Sprint is in the active testing phase for LA. That means you will see access on the EVO, but likely for a short period of time until they turn it off again.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast