Is it possible to transfer a phone upgrade on a family plan?

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone is about to die, but she doesn't have an upgrade until next September. I get an upgrade on January 1, which is a parting gift from the Premiere program, I think. We both share a family plan. I'd read somewhere that I could call Sprint and have them transfer the upgrade to my wife, but I tried that and the rep said "no." I could have sworn that I'd been able to swap upgrades like this years ago, but maybe things have changed...

Obviously one way to do this would be to upgrade my phone and give her mine. We're both grandfathered into not having to pay the extra $10 a month for smartphones, so I'm trying not to have to have to change both of our phones. We will need to change one, but I'm hoping to limit the additional expenses to $120 a year rather than $240. :(

Does anybody know of a way to do this or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife's phone is about to die, but she doesn't have an upgrade until next September. I get an upgrade on January 1, which is a parting gift from the Premiere program, I think. We both share a family plan. I'd read somewhere that I could call Sprint and have them transfer the upgrade to my wife, but I tried that and the rep said "no." I could have sworn that I'd been able to swap upgrades like this years ago, but maybe things have changed...

Obviously one way to do this would be to upgrade my phone and give her mine. We're both grandfathered into not having to pay the extra $10 a month for smartphones, so I'm trying not to have to have to change both of our phones. We will need to change one, but I'm hoping to limit the additional expenses to $120 a year rather than $240. :(

Does anybody know of a way to do this or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Sprint themselves won't do it, but if you walk into a bestbuy or many other affiliate stores, tell them what you want to do, and they usually just do it. I think the BB rep had to upgrade the one line, than swap the phones around right after. The previous time, they just did it, didn't tell me how.

tumbleweed65

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the upgrade yours then swap phones on the accounts through sprint I do it all the time with Verizon and did it with sprint

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Sprint themselves won't do it, but if you walk into a bestbuy or many other affiliate stores, tell them what you want to do, and they usually just do it. I think the BB rep had to upgrade the one line, than swap the phones around right after. The previous time, they just did it, didn't tell me how.

Sprint will absolutely do it. Been there, done that, no issues.

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! So, it sounds like I might have to touch both accounts and incur 2 smartphone charges... I was trying to avoid having to pay on both lines since I only want to upgrade one, but I guess it had to happen eventually...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781