Difference between older WiMax and newer LTE phones?

pmcleo01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With sprint changing from WiMax to LTE does that mean older 4g phones won't be compatible with the new LTE network, and will the new LTE phones be able to connect to the older WiMax? network during the LTE rollout?

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes and of course there will be

WiMax and LTE need different radios no current WiMax phone has a LTE radio in it.

Sprint has done some silly things over the years but I'm pretty sure there will be some new LTE phones released around roll out time. note they will not be LTE/WiMax they will be LTE

Galaxy Nexus coming to Sprint

Sprint is currently testing LTE in Kankakee Illinois

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes the new lte phones out will support WIMAX and lte just like att got duel 4g sprints gonna do the same

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes the new lte phones out will support WIMAX and lte just like att got duel 4g sprints gonna do the same

What so you have to provide proof of this? I have not seen this mentioned anywhere other than is speculative posts like yours.

Reactions: crzycrkr

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Sprint made another u-turn on Wi-Max support. Originally, they claimed that they would be releasing devices that supported Wi-Max through 2012 which implied that the new devices would support Wi-Max and LTE but they changed their mind yesterday and there will be no more Wi-Max devices. Sprint will support Wi-Max through 2015 but with all the re-jiggering going on with the network and Clearwire's continued slide towards only existing as the answer to a question in a trivia game it's unlikely that Wi-Max will have the same coverage and connection speeds that it has today.

If you live in an area that doesn't have Wi-Max already, you'll never see it. If you don't have Wi-Max and aren't on the first two tiers of Sprints Network Vision rollout schedule - welcome to the 3G Ghetto! You'll be here until 2014, along with all the residents of America's FIFTH LARGEST CITY!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What so you have to provide proof of this? I have not seen this mentioned anywhere other than is speculative posts like yours.

The proof is online lol the chips they putting in the new phones will support both lte and WIMAX how is this so impossible doesn't att use duel 4g (hspa+ late)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Crack is whack lol but green is good prime example my grandmothers att android drops calls and data in places my sprint doesn't

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Crack is whack lol but green is good prime example my grandmothers att android drops calls and data in places my sprint doesn't

And Sprint will drop in places AT&T doesn't, Verizon will drop in places T-Mobile doesn't, one device will drop in places another doesn't, and so on.

Statements like yours are silly.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How is that and u just proved my point as well as made yours smh lol opinions are like belly buttons also all well fellow sprint user lol

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So far as I've read, the only 3G/WiMAX/LTE device will be a hot spot device. LTE and WiMAX are two different antennas, they are not cross compatible.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Sprint COULD have devices supporting both, but they are choosing not to do so. Since ATT is still supporting the full range of 4g(hspa+,LTE), they choose to have device manufacturers engineer devices to support that range.