1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Default 4G is Live in Washington, DC

Yeah Baby!!! Any other fellow DC'ers out there. I heard on WTOP (Local News Radio) today that 4G Went live over the Weekend. I did a little search to verify... And sure enough. This is gonna be so Sweet come Monday Morning at the office when I get to show this thing off. Yes I'm a Big Kid

Snippit...
    WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR - News) announced today the availability of CLEAR's super fast mobile Internet service to customers in central Washington, D.C. area with expanded coverage to surrounding areas expected in the months ahead

I was just about to post the same thing. Seems it extends out to some parts of VA too. I am excited as well!!!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I just did a Search for Manassas and it says it reaches out that far. I guess we will see

wow really? manassas, VA? keep me updated, as i may buy a second car from there since i got a excellent deal for my BMW, and didnt realize there was an m3 motor inside it. hehe:-)

by the way, sprint.com isnt updated to reflect it. they have kansas city up but not washington, dc
    Last edited by jonathanlc2005; 06-01-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Yea i checked clearwire's website s few days ago, search the zip code of wear I work 20004 and sure enough 4g, then I checked where i live in Silver Spring and sure enough 4g.

I can't wait

California gets no love

South Carolina's out of the loop too... and probably will be for quite some time.

The Rollout is kinda strange.... the city's they chose, for instance, Portland & Salem Oregon. but no 4G in SF, SD, LA, & Sacramento California.

"What is the difference between Best CLEAR Coverage and CLEAR Coverage?
    If your address falls in our Best CLEAR Coverage, CLEAR should work well in your home and office, and on-the-go virtually anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area. With Best CLEAR coverage, you can take advantage of any of our service plan offerings. If your address falls in CLEAR Coverage, you can use CLEAR out and about in your city, but indoor performance may be highly variable. With CLEAR coverage, you are only eligible for our on-the-go plans."

I just looked through the entire U.S. coverage map and there wasn't a single city that falls under "Best CLEAR Coverage". So much for using 4G indoors. Guess we're going to go have to sit in a park somewhere to take advantage of it.
    Necessity is blind until it becomes conscious. Freedom is the consciousness of necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by DxTcmix View Post
    The Rollout is kinda strange.... the city's they chose, for instance, Portland & Salem Oregon. but no 4G in SF, SD, LA, & Sacramento California.
    to fill existing pre-wimax towers. theres more then just clearwires wimax towers to upgrade...

heres your answer

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by FearFormsFunction View Post
    If your address falls in our Best CLEAR Coverage, CLEAR should work well in your home and office, and on-the-go virtually anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area. With Best CLEAR coverage, you can take advantage of any of our service plan offerings. If your address falls in CLEAR Coverage, you can use CLEAR out and about in your city, but indoor performance may be highly variable. With CLEAR coverage, you are only eligible for our on-the-go plans."

I just looked through the entire U.S. coverage map and there wasn't a single city that falls under "Best CLEAR Coverage". So much for using 4G indoors. Guess we're going to go have to sit in a park somewhere to take advantage of it.
    Or sit on the Toilet in the bathroom where cell phones always work the best!

Quote Originally Posted by DxTcmix View Post
    Or sit on the Toilet in the bathroom where cell phones always work the best!
    Oddly enough I have also taken note of this. It is almost as if turds work as temporary mini cell towers.
    Necessity is blind until it becomes conscious. Freedom is the consciousness of necessity.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is friggin FANTASTIC!!!!!

Kansas City also went live this weekend...

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hampstenj View Post
    Kansas City also went live this weekend...
    Sort of. KC metro is 2m people but only about 1m covered so far. Am surprised the highest income areas with no coverage like Ward Parkway and Leawood.

But good enough for me as my home/work and in between is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmeier View Post
    Yeah Baby!!! Any other fellow DC'ers out there. I heard on WTOP (Local News Radio) today that 4G Went live over the Weekend. I did a little search to verify... And sure enough. This is gonna be so Sweet come Monday Morning at the office when I get to show this thing off. Yes I'm a Big Kid

Snippit...
    WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR - News) announced today the availability of CLEAR's super fast mobile Internet service to customers in central Washington, D.C. area with expanded coverage to surrounding areas expected in the months ahead
    Any DC folks know where the antennas/towers are? I didn't see any updates on Clear's site, and the Sprint "find the closest towers" search thing seemed way out of date and definitely didn't show 4G coverage in DC.

I know there are two Clear stores in Dupont Circle, or at least that is what I was told. I called one of them today and they stated they were live and functional. Good stuff!

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts

I spent the holiday weed at my brother's house in the Germantown/Gaithersburg area and tested to see if they had 4g coverage. they did - I was getting 5Mbps outside and around 3 indoors - but it was very wonky and unpredictable. Wouldn't stay connected, crapped out quickly, etc. Now I see the new DC coverage map doesn't have coverage anywhere near germantown. I wonder what issue is? Still some kinks to be worked out before officially launching along the 270 corridor?

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Yeah I don't get this crap at all. My area falls under the "clear coverage". I kinda don't care if the signal isn't that strong indoors, if I can get it then I'll be happy.

I don't think 4G is live yet in DC for the Sprint handsets. I know that Clearwire is live for their service, but Sprint denies availability (website and store employees). I've been getting intermittent coverage in DC, but it's very limited geographically. The good news is that the speed was just above 3mbps.

The Sensorly Map Viewer maps now show who is and is not getting 4G coverage in Washington DC. The map information is from other real users.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards — Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Geez, even in areas they say have coverage, it's really spotty. Look at Richmond, VA, which became "official" yesterday. There's almost as much area not covered as covered.
    I can get a week signal (1 indicator) at work in Tysons Corner

According to the map, my house near Reston is in a covered area. I get 1 bar on the 2nd floor of my house but nothing on the 1st floor. If this is what Sprint calls 4G coverage, we've got a lotta years left before you can count on having it everywhere you go, even in "completed" cities.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Maybe they updated it since June 1st, but most of DC has the "best clear coverage." I even received a mailing saying that I qualify for indoor and mobile services.

Here is the actual 4G that real users have mapped with the Sensorly app for coverage around Washington DC:

We will be staying in the area next month. Does anyone drive south on 95 who could use Sensorly to check for signals south of DC? Or out past Gaithersburg?

Yes, I know what Sprint claims on their 4G maps but we know from the Sensorly maps how inaccurate the Sprint maps are...

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4G is Live in Washington, DC-washingtondc.jpg  
    — Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM

I am checking but new towers seem to be coming on...
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07-01-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    — Milo

Sensorly is showing new 4G towers at least in testing on south 395, 95, and 244.
    — Milo