Sprint discount policy change notice!

adbrown83

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to wait really, if you look on the second page of your bill you'll see the text stating the change is coming. It absolutely is a change of contract even if you don't have a discount. It's a restructure. Everyone should get out of their ETF, even if they don't plan on leaving right now. Take advantage of this in case you change your mind later, you won't be able too past February.

It makes it sound like it's all about discounts, but note the phrase "Family and Business Share monthly plan charges will be billed differently." BAM, change of contract.

Just to clarify, they will give you a transfer out date. Unless something has changed they haven't been letting people out of their contracts and allowing them to stay with Sprint.

So if you want out of your contract, and to be ETF free, you are leaving Sprint. There are a couple loop holes, where you could transfer to Boost or Virgin for a couple months and transfer back in, just know, they are not letting you out of your contract and allowing you to stay with Sprint.

There is a huge thread on SlickDeals about this.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, they will give you a transfer out date. Unless something has changed they haven't been letting people out of their contracts and allowing them to stay with Sprint.

So if you want out of your contract, and to be ETF free, you are leaving Sprint. There are a couple loop holes, where you could transfer to Boost or Virgin for a couple months and transfer back in, just know, they are not letting you out of your contract and allowing you to stay with Sprint.

There is a huge thread on SlickDeals about this.

That's the thread I linked, and there are several people that posted they were given no date to get out by. Why would Sprint willingly tell people that are paying them every month to leave? Just because they are no longer under contract? That's nonsensical and has to be wrong as evidenced by several posters in that thread.

Got my bill and nothing has changed for me

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

I believe it has to be specifically the 1500 minute everything data family plan.

Medic97

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
not specifically the 1500 min plan but any shared plan. The discount change is that it now only applies to line 1 and not lines 2-5. Till now lines 1-2 where treated as one price so the discount applied to both lines. It will be costing me about $5 more to stay with sprint, So i called and got the EFT removed but as stated before they are giving me til march 2nd to port my number or they remove the request and i stay in my old contract.

The big question, is any other service better considering the tiered data plans?!

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Go pull up the sprint tools and chart your data usage, you might be surprised how little you use depending on your patterns. Of the four smartphone users on my plan, the highest user hit 1.5GB once,the rest were under 1GB for an entire year. They aren't really power users, but still I was surprised. Myself, I stay around 2.3GB it seems and that's without me even paying attention to it and syncing exchange all day.

As for the contract, what allows them the right to force you to re-sign a new contract just because you aren't leaving? They changed your contract originally, not you. If you fulfilled the usual way, they don't force you to re-sign then either. Judging from that slickdeals thread a lot of people are being given a line of BS.

I haven't called yet, but I'll chime in after I do.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to let you guys know I did get my bill and I do have the 1500 min plain and nothing has changed for ky Bill of February

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Well first call was a no-go, she said they can't waive the ETF despite admitting yes they were changing the plan and yes it would make me have to pay more. I was driving so I let it go and will call back in later to get bumped to a supervisor or something. Love the inconsistency where Sprint is telling all different people different things. :p

Oh also my February bill hasn't technically hit yet so they might have just been telling me they can't without stating that they CAN after
I get my bill listing the actual changes.

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like they're trying to get rid of people on purpose. Perhaps tiered data is coming and they want to minimize the grandfathering?

I was frustrated when they booted me a couple weeks ago but I'm caring less and less as time passes. Kinda looking forward to getting this Boost down to $40...

Sent from my hoe. Forgive the typoes; it's an Epic.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Verified, i lost $6/mo against my discount.

No problem though, again, this was a discount, the general public is not affected by this.

Technically rates have NOT gone up, your discount has just gone down...

This is not a big deal. Other carriers never offered line 2-5 discounts.

In order for Sprint to grow, and get back in the game, they must become profitable like big red & AT&T.

They can't be profitable giving away the house, as they generously have in the past if they want to stay in business.

Anyone who complains about this minor change, should just go to another carrier and spend MORE $$$$ and have less.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Death by a thousand cuts. First the Premier program then crap 3g then discount removal. Next thing you know: tiered data.

If they up their prices and keep with the crappy inconsistent 3g and roll LTE out too slow, they're going to run people off.

RicRat

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't this be "Bait and switch"?
I just signed up with Sprint and haven't even received our phones yet.

This is from my invoice.

Service Provider: Sprint
Service Plan: Everything Data Family 1500 (2 Lines)
Service Rate: $129.99 per month

What is posted here is a change of the contract I agreed to, which would void the contract.
Why would they sign us up, then void the contract and have us send the phones back?