Post your highest 4G performance test

turbodude

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
4679028983_9f2ce0d59b_b.jpg

This is at my house in whats considered a spotty 4g area. I have noticed over the past couple days the 4G service keeps getting faster. On the first night i was only able to get 2.3 Mbps down.

djlee0314

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was able to conduct the speed test on speakeasy.net on my Dolphin HD browser but since I had to do a factory reset and no the test won't run because of a flash issue I think...anyone know what might be going on?

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
install the speed test app from the market!! called speedtest, its much better way to give you accurate speed test info:D

Actually it does not. They use a pretty small sample file before 4G gets up to speed. I can't get over 1.5Mbps with the app most of the time yet doing Hotspot to PC, speedtests show much faster. I can also stream Netflix HD, which requires at least 2.5Mbps. Something is wrong with the speedtest android app methinks. Granted though, speedtest.net probably shows bursts, not sustained rates.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I was a little skeptical that speedtest.net would show spikes, not sustained rates, so I did a test.

I stressed the 4G connection as much as I could. I enabled WiFi tether, which shows bit rate of connection and pumped a bunch of data at once. I downloaded three 100MB+ files at once and did Netflix streaming on a PC connected to EVO hotspot.

I was indeed able to SUSTAIN about 7Mbps. Netflix streaming BTW kept ticking with no rebuffering. I'm seriously thinking of setting up a Buffalo router as a repeater and getting rid of cable modem.

7.25mbps.GIF

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's another tool I used to verify looking at WiFi in tether mode while doing the same stress test above. It shows in Bytes/sec so you multiple by 8 to get bits. It says 1140KBytes/sec, which is >9Mbps. Factoring overhead, it's safe to says it's >7Mbps and was sustained for several minutes.

BTW, I tested with the Speedtest app from Market and it said I only get 1.5Mbps. There is something very wrong with that app for 4G tests.

1140Bps.png

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
jesus... im getting consistent 4.5mbps down and .8 up. but it would be nice for 8mbps down :)

Man, I would punch a baby for consistent 4.5 down. Even in "Best CLEAR" coverage areas (central Oahu or downtown Honolulu), my 4G speeds are inconsistent and at best only slightly better than on 3G, ~700 kbps to 1 mbps. I've turned off my 4G and my battery life is much better for it.

I seriously hope a previous poster is right about Sprint/Clear ratcheting up the speeds soon.

kschuyler

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I got 4.96 down and .68 up yesterday in Joliet Il. This is really at the far reaches of Clear'Sprints Chicago area coverage. For those wondering about speed increases I have a bit of info. The company that I work for sells Clear and I've had to go to a few training seminars at the Chicago area headquarters. One of the things explained to us was that the 4g system is like a 2 tiered setup. The initial tier provides conectivity and speeds with that tier are generally around 1mb down or so. The second tier provides the added functionality to get the higher speeds in the 3-6mb down range. You could have full connectivity and maximum "bars" but only get 1mb or so if you are not linked with a 2nd tier tower and you could have 1-2 bars and get 6mb down if you are linked with the 2nd tier towers. The plan was to roll things out in tier 1 to get coverage while updating the towers along the way to tier 2 to maximize speed.

This is a generic explanation and they don't call them tierrs but the point is that yes, if you have 4g coverage and are geting slow connections you may very well see those speeds increase over time.

Keith

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if all sites get the same amount of backhaul. Someone posted they talked to a Clear installing a site on top of his condo and they said 100Mbps backhaul. Wonder if all sites get that. Probably not I'd suspect.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I think most speedtest apps think since it is a mobile device, it uses smaller sample files. Or it sees that it's on sprint domain, so assumes mobile. The smaller sample files don't work well with 4G tests. Not sure if this is the reason but the speakeasy test seems to reflect actuals better, per the stress test in post 1.

sousa

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the following:
WiFi - 10.49Mbps download, 3.4Mbps upload
3G - 2.31Mbps download, .41Mbps upload
4G - .94Mbps download, .08Mbps upload

I'm 30 miles west of Philadelphia, so the 4G signal is very weak (0-1 bars). I was in the city the first day I got the phone and the 4G speeds were sick fast. Pics uploadd to Facebook pretty much instantly.

patinum

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've only used the Speedtest app, but got pretty decent results. I'll have to retry using this method.

At work in Chicago ~ 1.5 mpbs
At a bar down the street from work (while waiting for the final Blackhawks game to start!) - ~7 mpbs
Chicago suburb (Schaumburg) - 4.5 mpbs

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc