View Poll Results: Which Carrier is Overall Best?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Mobile

0 0%
  • AT&T

0 0%
  • Sprint

14 100.00%
  • Verizon

0 0%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which Cell Provider is Best Overall?

The contracts on my Sprint family plan accounts are expiring soon and I wanted to hear from others what U.S. cell phone carrier people think is overall the best.

Consider:
    • 4G Speed/Reliabilty
    • 3G Speed/Reliability
    • Data Allowances/Price
    • General Pricing
    • Coverage
    • Evilness/Less Evilness

Let's hear it!

Default Re: Which Cell Provider is Best Overall?

There isn't a right or wrong answer here.

Anyone that specifically says one is better than another is basing it on their area and their values.

In my area Verizon is the best I'm in Wisconsin

Sent using speech to text
    Galaxy Nexus.

In South Alabama, Verizon drops a block from my house, and and T-Mobile is still on Edge... So AT&T is pretty much It for me.

Sent from my Inspire using Tapatalk

Totally depends on where you live. For me the following.

4G Speed/Reliabilty VZW
    3G Speed/Reliability VZW and Sprint
    Data Allowances/Price Sprint
    General Pricing Sprint and TMO
    Coverage VZW and Sprint (Exactly the same although Sprint may be roaming)
    Evilness/Less Evilness Sprint and TMO
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I, myself am a bit torn between all four and below are my thoughts about each of the carriers:

Sprint
    I still have unlimited data with Sprint, but I'm moving to the Dallas area and Sprint is a little spotty in coverage there. Sprint 3G speeds are consistent, but I'd like a 4G option that works. For a family plan with 5 smart phones, I haven't found a better deal than Sprint's.

AT&T
    AT&T is at the top of my list right now because of their dual "4G" technologies. When you're not in LTE coverage (Dallas is AT&T HQ, so that may not be an issue), there's a good chance you'll be covered by a nice HSPA+ network. AT&T family plan can be cheap if you match your plan to your needs. If I put my mom on a dumb phone, it could actually be cheaper than Sprint, but with a lesser plan. I've heard people have problems with AT&T with dropped calls and the like. Probably my first choice considering the Dallas area (Plano specifically). Being able to switch phones by switching the SIM card in/out is nice, especially because you can use a smartphone without a data plan. AT&T hasn't really had any Nexus devices (unless you count Nexus S at BB or importing Unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Europe), but GSM Nexus devices seem to get updated faster than CDMA ones. I'm still waiting for ICS on my NS4G (although I have been running CM9 for awhile).

Verizon
    Definitely the best coverage overall for voice, 3G and 4G. I don't like EVDO 3G speeds or the price of Verizon's plans. I also don't like the battery drain of LTE. When Verizon is VoLTE, I think LTE phones will be a lot better on battery life. Or perhaps they'll figure out how to make the LTE radios more battery friendly.

T-Mobile
    I used to have T-Mobile and I was always happy with them. Their HSPA+ network is nice, but with no news of LTE, I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for 2 years. Their prices are great in general. One hangup is that my wife would prefer to have an iPhone on our next carrier; although she is willing to go back to Android given the right size, quality, and speed. Also, having a SIM card is convenient, especially if you want a smart phone without a data plan. T-Mobile Nexus devices always seem to get updated first, which is definitely a pro for me since I'd like to go Nexus whenever possible.

I definitely see the pros and cons of all four carriers, which is why I wanted to hear everyone else's opinions.

Also, I posted this same thread and reply in all four carriers. Hope I'm not considered a spammer.

Verizon for speed. sprint for pricing ad unlimited data

Hmmm, Verizon for speed??

I sit in an office with 2 ppl. I have Sprint, 1 has ATT & 1 has Verizon. We all tether our laptops and I am usually about the same or a little better than ATT data speeds (1.5-2Mbps). We both kill Verizon's speed.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/4AiUNSMC

Mine
    - Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.3)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.