Sprint LTE

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Sprint seems to be going along a pretty good line in their LTE roll out. Detroit and San Bernadino/Riverside are larger regions than Phoenix. Many of the other areas are highly populated as well. Chicago, LA, a bunch in Texas, NY. They can only do so much at a time. It is kind of weird that Phoenix gets passed over, but it is a mid sized city. I've always been confused as to why they didn't expand Wimax east from NYC to Long Island, which is one of the most populated suburbs in the country. They're finally doing that with LTE

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Detroit and San Bernadino/Riverside are larger regions than Phoenix.

The facts beg to differ.

Phoenix 1,512,986

Detroit 871,121
San Bernadino 209,924

Phoenix has a larger population than San Bernadino and Detroit COMBINED!

Phoenix 517.948 sq mi

Detroit 143.00 sq mi
San Bernadino 59.645 sq mi

Phoenix is more than twice as large as Detroit and San Bernadino COMBINED!

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if sprint will have enough money to do a successful roll out. They're getting raped by apple and having to pay so much

The only way they can finance it is by adding customers. They added 1.6M new customers in Q4 (Q1 figures haven't been released yet). 40% of their new customers chose an iPhone. Hesse is betting that the combination of unlimited data (ATT, V) and iPhone availability (T-MO) will be enough to lure customers away from the other carriers. Sprint can cover operating losses, their network rollout and the Fruitphones with income from operations and cash on hand, but the real test will come in 2015 when $3B in debt comes due. They won't have enough to cover that.

If Sprint has added customers and returned to profitability (Sprint's last profit was in 2007) by then they can refinance under better terms. Otherwise, we may be on the Google/Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Telefonica S.A. network. We'll lose unlimited data and gain free shipping!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The facts beg to differ.

Phoenix 1,512,986

Detroit 871,121
San Bernadino 209,924

Phoenix 517.948 sq mi

Detroit 143.00 sq mi

Notice he said region. You have to include all of Detroit's suburbs in that number.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: crzycrkr

duffkitty

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Visit site
The facts beg to differ.

Phoenix 1,512,986

Detroit 871,121
San Bernadino 209,924

Phoenix 517.948 sq mi

Detroit 143.00 sq mi

San Bernandino County. The city is kinda small but the county includes cities like Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Pomona etc. Here we call it the Inland Empire although that term can encompass some of Riverside county which is almost as big or bigger.

Luckily I live in the San Gabriel Valley which is covered by one of the early LA ones.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The facts beg to differ.

Phoenix 1,512,986

Detroit 871,121
San Bernadino 209,924

Phoenix 517.948 sq mi

Detroit 143.00 sq mi

Yeah, you're missing the point. Regions are what matter here, not cities. The Phoenix region is 14 or 15 on the list of biggest in the country I believe. May have dropped more with the housing depression down there. San Bernadino/Riverside and Detroit are above them. I do agree with you that Phoenix not being on the list is odd though

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you're missing the point. Regions are what matter here, not cities. The Phoenix region is 14 or 15 on the list of biggest in the country I believe. May have dropped more with the housing depression down there. San Bernadino/Riverside and Detroit are above them. I do agree with you that Phoenix not being on the list is odd though

No, you're missing the point. I provided ACTUAL NUMBERS with an ACTUAL LINK. You provided NOTHING and used an arbitrary cutoff. WTF is a, "region"? Metropolitan area? County? Empire? Do you just keep adding numbers from neighboring cities until the total validates your "Cali is #1" worldview?

Phoenix goes between being the nation's 5th and 6th largest city depending on what's going on in Philadelphia in a given year. If you're including burbs be sure to add Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Paradise Valley, Sun City, Glendale, El Mirage, Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Avondale, Buckeye, Guadalupe, Queen Creek, Cave Creek, Maricopa, Sun Lakes, Apache Junction, Carefree and Fountain Hills to the Phoenix total. Show your numbers or STFU.

Even IF Phoenix only ranks as the 14th largest, how does that justify making them 42nd (first city in the THIRD tier) on the rollout list? Remember, Phoenix never got WiMax except for a few protection sites (i.e. Scottsdale Airport, ONE STREET on the ASU campus in Tempe, etc.) Many of the cities ahead of Phoenix already have WiMax and are smaller whether you count by population area, region OR empire.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
No, you're missing the point. I provided ACTUAL NUMBERS with an ACTUAL LINK. You provided NOTHING and used an arbitrary cutoff. WTF is a, "region"? Metropolitan area? County? Empire? Do you just keep adding numbers from neighboring cities until the total validates your "Cali is #1" worldview?

Phoenix goes between being the nation's 5th and 6th largest city depending on what's going on in Philadelphia in a given year. If you're including burbs be sure to add Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Paradise Valley, Sun City, Glendale, El Mirage, Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Avondale, Buckeye, Guadalupe, Queen Creek, Cave Creek, Maricopa, Sun Lakes, Apache Junction, Carefree and Fountain Hills to the Phoenix total. Show your numbers or STFU.

Even IF Phoenix only ranks as the 14th largest, how does that justify making them 42nd (first city in the THIRD tier) on the rollout list? Remember, Phoenix never got WiMax except for a few protection sites (i.e. Scottsdale Airport, ONE STREET on the ASU campus in Tempe, etc.) Many of the cities ahead of Phoenix already have WiMax and are smaller.

Wow, okay, way to completely fall off the map. Why so aggressive? I said I don't understand why they keep passing over Phoenix. I don't have a "Cali is #1 worldview" I'm from NY(and I do have a NYC is #1 worldview, lol)

I get my numbers from the 2011 US census. Feel free to look it up. I don't have to provide numbers, the US government had been kind enough to collect them and publish them. The numbers are done by metropolitan areas. Why exactly would Sprint roll out in one city with no significant surrounding areas before ares that have major suburban populations? Just to make it easy for you, even though I'm sure you're going to argue it anyway, here you go with a nice easy chart en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas And, hell, even if you click on your provided li k, then the first link on that page in the Suggested Reading area, it shows the largest metropolitan area with Phoenix down there.

And, as I've said multiple times, I don't know why Sprint has pushed them back that far. I don't need to justify it, I don't work for them. If you are as angry about it as you make it seem, maybe a switch to another carrier and some anger management therapy would be a good choice.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Dude, you quoted yourself! Get some help with your narcissism.

LMAO, I was trying to edit in a sentence in Tapatalk and that happens sometimes. Guess I got my point across though if you don't respond to the actually facts but rather make fun of a technical glitch. Get some help with that anger, lol

EDIT And in case you missed the edit in there, here is a link off of your page that proves my point http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/csa2005.htm

duffkitty

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Phoenix doesn't have as many subscribers in its region. The only point of my post was to point out San Bernandino is a smaller big city but the region has a lot more people.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a tendency in tech and gun forums for people to just spout off opinions and claim them as fact. I usually do some research before I post something so I don't post a rumor or inaccurate information. It's frustrating when I go to great lengths to cite links and provide facts only to have someone cavalierly dismiss them and provide nothing but their opinion to back up their claims. You DID call Phoenix a, "mid sized city" (sic). I haven't seen any information from the last couple of decades showing it outside of the top ten. Still, if capitalizing a few words and asking you to provide links to verify your clams requires, "anger management therapy" maybe it's time for you to spend a few days off the ashram.

While I quoted your post in my post, other poster's remarks were addressed in the same post. Being from the east coast you probably don't constantly deal with Californians in your community telling you how everything about the place is crap, the people are so backwards and ignorant and things are SOOO much better in California and if you'd just change everything about the place to make it just like California you'd be SOOO much better off. The Cali remark wasn't addressed at you.

Since you seemed to have skipped past it - even if Phoenix is the 14th largest region, how does that justify putting it 42nd on the rollout list when smaller cities that already have WiMax are ahead of it?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be a tendency in tech and gun forums for people to just spout off opinions and claim them as fact. I usually do some research before I post something so I don't post a rumor or inaccurate information. It's frustrating when I go to great lengths to cite links and provide facts only to have someone cavalierly dismiss them and provide nothing but their opinion to back up their claims. You DID call Phoenix a, "mid sized city" (sic). I haven't seen any information from the last couple of decades showing it outside of the top ten. Still, if capitalizing a few words and asking you to provide links to verify your clams requires, "anger management therapy" maybe it's time for you to spend a few days off the ashram.

While I quoted your post in my post, other poster's remarks were addressed in the same post. Being from the east coast you probably don't constantly deal with Californians in your community telling you how everything about the place is crap, the people are so backwards and ignorant and things are SOOO much better in California and if you'd just change everything about the place to make it just like California you'd be SOOO much better off. The Cali remark wasn't addressed at you.

Since you seemed to have skipped past it - even if Phoenix is the 14th largest region, how does that justify putting it 42nd on the rollout list when smaller cities that already have WiMax are ahead of it?

I actually lived in California for years, so I understand you there. Being from NY, I consider everything a mid sized city in comparison, but i wasn't clear in that statemen, and was referring to the region. Asking me to provide links wasn't what caused me to mention anger therapy, you saying things like STFU did. I provided links to prove my point, and you provided links to prove my point. The point is proven as fact.

I didn't skip last anything. I addressed the last part in the same post I linked the wiki page.

Last edited:

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not based strictly on population size. It's a combination of number of subscribers and competition strength and many other things as well, so unfortunately, no one can provide the exact statistics, because no one here knows the exact formula used to determine rollout. It's not like sprint is trying to shaft you. They have two goals. 1: retain customers and 2: add customers. Rolling out LTE in a way that doesn't prioritize either of those points is nonsensical. Notice within the first rollout was Kansas city. There is also an element of cost. In some places it will be more expensive to roll it out than others, so they need to have cash on hand and have a significant profit per region they add it to.

In my mind, the argument is pointless, because you ar clearly using a different paradigm for your rollout priorities, because if it was based strictly on city size you would have wimax and be right up front with LTE. Nobody's arguing that.

I've found I'm nearly always on wifi anyway, so I can be patient, but I am excited to be able to start using the new LTE network one day... Eventually. Haha.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

You answered your own question. Do you even KNOW how they are doing the LTE roll out? Most of the cities that already have wimax have the necessary equipment in place because it was cross compatible with LTE with some modifications. That compatibility is a known fact, and sprint made no attempt to hide it with their more recent wimax cities. So that's why cities that already have wimax are ahead of those that don't.

Oh, and drop the attitude.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't care look how many people sprint has duped. They won't have this complete roll out by 2016? I look at the rollout dates!!! I was an evo 4g&3d owner and totally trusted that we would see 4 g here in Wisconsin Eau claire. Damn they're 3g is totally weak compared to Verizon. Sprint has frustrated me in so many ways I will never trust them again!
Sorry for my rant it's just a fact if you live where I live Sprint ripped you off!! :mad:

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I will continue to stick it out with Sprint. Sure I would love to have Big Red's LTE speeds and coverage but like many I can't afford their packages when you have a multiphone family which quickly jacks the bill up fast on any carrier.

If Sprint can come in even close to Big Red's or AT & T's LTE speeds I will be happy. I think the move alone from Sprint's current bandwidth they are running on with Wimax to the newer, lower frequency with LTE should overall provide better coverage and building penetration which is something Sprint suffers in badly. Many times I'm in a store struggling to get a signal but yet the guy next to me on competing carriers is mult tasking on his device with no problem.

As for roll out on cities with LTE. I would hope Sprint is going to really push hard on getting good coverage as quickly as possible. The money being dumped into this transition is only going to be a profitable turn around if they can get the LTE market up and running in major cities and beyond fast and with as little service quality interruption to its current and new customers.

Plus there is this talk I heard in the past of Sprint eventually freeing up the current direct connect 800 mhz (I believe thats the freq.) that the Nextel device's used for years. They say once that is done LTE/3g can move to this frequency and again improve overall. As any previous Nextel direct connect users knows you could get two way talk in the worst of signal areas which made it so valuable. I hope this talk/rumor is true because it would be a life saver....

Going to be an interesting 12-24 months...

I cannot believe that's okay with you big reds contract is about 11 dollars more than Sprints. That's why I left Sprint everybody else was multitasking around me while I was stuck trying to load a page. :banghead:... To me it's worth the 11 bucks extra.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care look how many people sprint has duped. They won't have this complete roll out by 2016? I look at the rollout dates!!! I was an evo 4g&3d owner and totally trusted that we would see 4 g here in Wisconsin Eau claire. Damn they're 3g is totally weak compared to Verizon. Sprint has frustrated me in so many ways I will never trust them again!
Sorry for my rant it's just a fact if you live where I live Sprint ripped you off!! :mad:

I cannot believe that's okay with you big reds contract is about 11 dollars more than Sprints. That's why I left Sprint everybody else was multitasking around me while I was stuck trying to load a page. :banghead:... To me it's worth the 11 bucks extra.

Like I've always said, pick your carrier based on your location, and then pick your phones. It's simple, if you don't like Sprint in your area, switch. I've been all over the country and never had a problem. People need to remember that just because Sprint is weak in their area doesn't mean it is everywhere, and people that are upset with service are more likely to post about it than people that are happy.

I have 4 lines on Sprint with unlimited everything and pay about $180 a month. Verizon can't even come close.

Reactions: Hurleygm and axne1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781