Dan Hesse - on thin ice - what's your pitch to the board?

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Amid investor unrest, Sprint's Board of Directors have put Dan Hesse on a short leash.

If the Board called you in to interview for the position what would you do to turn Sprint around? Remember, Sprint hasn't turned a profit since '07 so you're limited to spending the change under the sofa cushions in the lobby.

My list:

The US cellphone market is an oligopoly - a handful of players who don't want to rock the boat so they pretty much all do the same thing. The only way Sprint can differentiate themselves is to take some chances and do things that aren't being done today.

1. Allow customers to NOT buy subsidized phones. Give customers the $150 upgrade credit if they want it, but if they don't want it give them a $7/mo. discount on their bill if they renew without a subsidized phone.

2. Don't spend money on national advertising. Figure out which markets your service is competitive in and advertise locally in those markets only.

3. When the networks are upgraded, focus on a state then a region and OWN IT. They can make minor, incremental upgrades where needed, but DOMINATE in regions. If they focus their energy on markets and regions instead of the piecemeal roll-outs they've been doing they can promote more effectively and gain more customers faster then use those payments to fund additional roll-outs.

4. Sell modular phones. Case, display, radio board and mainboard. If a customer wants to upgrade a component they can drop by a Sprint store and get a faster CPU, a 4G radio, a higher-res display or a different case style (tablet, slider, candybar) or color for a reasonable fee instead of having to buy a new phone every time. This would never be your top of the line phone, but you could support several upgrades before moving on to a new design every 5 years.

5. Give rollover credit for unused minutes and let customers cash out on contract renewal. Let's say you have a plan with 500 minutes a month but only use 250 minutes your first month. Your second month you would have 750 minutes available. If you averaged 250 minutes a month over your 2-year contract that would mean half the portion of your bill allowed for talk would be lump-summed back to you when you renew your contract. If Sprint allocated 60% talk/30% data/10% text and you paid $80/mo. that would leave a credit of .5*.60*24 months*$80 = $576.

This would give customers an incentive to limit their use of the network (self-imposed throttling). Give Sprint an interest-free loan and pretty much guarantee that customers would renew both for the future cash back at the end of the contract and the payout for renewing. The numbers above were pulled out of air to illustrate the concept, but it wouldn't take a lot of effort on Sprint's part to figure out how to make the average payout be about the cost of a mid-range smart phone.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
By your algorithm i would be getting over $1600 back after 24 months (1500 everything family, 2 lines). We rarely talk on the phone.

The $7/month discount for not subsidising (because hey, Sprint would pay for it in my credit) would give me free insurance.

So I'd get $1600 back, minus $600 for my new phone (line 2 gets my current phone), would give me roughly 7 free months service. I don't really see Sprint going for something like that.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
By your algorithm i would be getting over $1600 back after 24 months (1500 everything family, 2 lines). We rarely talk on the phone.

... I don't really see Sprint going for something like that.

Let me help you with that...

The numbers above were pulled out of air to illustrate the concept, but it wouldn't take a lot of effort on Sprint's part to figure out how to make the average payout be about the cost of a mid-range smart phone.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I suppose if they cap the amount of the credit at a certain amount it could work. Otherwise people would be either getting tiny or ridiculously big credits.

Sent from my Vizio tablet using Tapatalk

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Get cash back for your unused minutes*

That's all you'd have to say. Most consumers won't even take the time to do the math much less read the fine-print. Just think of all the times you've heard someone say, " My phone was FREE". Really? It had nothing to do with you signing a contract agreeing to pay $2,856 over the next 24 months to the same company that, "gave" you the $200 phone? Sprint could jigger the conditions in such a way that the consumer essentially made deposits to a Christmas club with every payment so their refund would be self-funded with every plan that qualified.

BUT

Not every plan would qualify. Sprint could channel its evil into building a list of exclusions longer than your drive to work. More than 10 days late on a payment? Not eligible. Resident of California? Not eligible. Voted for a Democrat? Not eligible. Took children under 16 to a fine dining restaurant or onto a commercial airline? Not eligible. Sadly, Sprint could pocket the refunds from these plans and emphasize that a new contract would be a clean slate and a fresh chance at the, "free money".

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile has already started the no subsidy game, and it saves the customer money month to month, and the company also gets to report that they're making more right away even if the customer pays for the phone on installment. It's really a great option for both parties, but for a lot of people (understandably given how the US cellular market has worked for so many years) it's a little harder to grasp the concept that they won't be receiving any further upgrades/discounts on phones because they're saving month to month.

Some of your ideas though are certainly thought provoking.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
How bout giving customers a network that lives up to it's 4G billing? Sprint says I have 4G at home and I need an Airave to get any signal at all. I've been paying for premium data since my launch week Evo and have used 4G about 5 times since then. And before you ask...I live in South Orange County and my house is maybe a mile (2 max) from a 4G tower according to the Sprint Map.

If LTE brings the same result...consider me a defector to Verizon.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Your problem has to do with the spectrum Sprint uses. Higher-frequency spectrum, like the 2.5Ghz Clear uses for WiMax, isn't as good at penetrating buildings. Sprint has some tasty 800mhz bandwidth, but that's currently being used for their iDEN network.

The good news is that Sprint already has FCC approval to repurpose the iDEN spectrum. The bad news is that it's going to take a couple of years to move iDEN customers over to the CDMA push-to-talk replacement.

Sprint is running three networks today - CDMA, WiMax and iDEN. Each network has its own towers and switching stations and there's no crossover (i.e. an iDEN tower does nothing for your CDMA or WiMax phone). Part of the new LTE rollout is to integrate the networks so that each tower will handle LTE, CDMA and WiMax. 22,000 towers will be upgraded and 20,000 towers will be retired. This should improve coverage and reduce costs.

I was shocked to learn that Dan was doing something right. I'm satisfied that Sprint is doing what they can with the spectrum they have available. Additional spectrum is hard to come by and isn't cheap.

For your situation I recommend trying a Motorola phone. Their radios really are better.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Your problem has to do with the spectrum Sprint uses. Higher-frequency spectrum, like the 2.5Ghz Clear uses for WiMax, isn't as good at penetrating buildings. Sprint has some tasty 800mhz bandwidth, but that's currently being used for their iDEN network.

The good news is that Sprint already has FCC approval to repurpose the iDEN spectrum. The bad news is that it's going to take a couple of years to move iDEN customers over to the CDMA push-to-talk replacement.

Sprint is running three networks today - CDMA, WiMax and iDEN. Each network has its own towers and switching stations and there's no crossover (i.e. an iDEN tower does nothing for your CDMA or WiMax phone). Part of the new LTE rollout is to integrate the networks so that each tower will handle LTE, CDMA and WiMax. 22,000 towers will be upgraded and 20,000 towers will be retired. This should improve coverage and reduce costs.

I was shocked to learn that Dan was doing something right. I'm satisfied that Sprint is doing what they can with the spectrum they have available. Additional spectrum is hard to come by and isn't cheap.

For your situation I recommend trying a Motorola phone. Their radios really are better.

I don't think it's all about the crappy inability of Wimax to penetrate buildings - Sprint basically lies about coverage when it suits them (couching it with the fine print about variations based on a number of factors). I'm smack dad in the middle of a "FAIR" voice blob that seems to just be my neighborhood, completely surrounded by "GOOD" network. When FAIR to Sprint means that it's difficult for even my external Airave antenna to lock on to a signal that allows me to get ANY voice service in my home (nothing to do with wimax), then that's a crock. Their map also shows me completely covered by 3G "ON NETWORK" which is a total crock as well. I can be streaming google music down the 4G street where I know it exists, make a right turn and watch 4G drop to 3G...make another turn a block later and BAM my 3G is gone too. Boy that sure is some premium data!

The problem with the "try a moto" phone is that I'm limited by Sprint to the Photon...a totally lateral move from my 3D. Sprint really seems to be the bastard stepchild for getting new phone tech lately...

HTC:
Vivid - ATT
Rezound - Verizon
Amaze - Tmobile
OneX - ATT

IIRC - all of these have better spec than the Evo or Evo3D...And Sprint gets...the Design 4G piece of junk

Samsung
Note - ATT
Nexus - Verizon (yeah, eventually to Sprint)

Moto
Razr - Verizon
RazrMaxx - Verizon
Droid4 - Verizon
Bionic - Verizon

Faster network, coverage at my home, better phone selection - seriously the only reason I'm still with Sprint was the pricing and unlimited data (which I've found I don't really need more than 3-4GB/mth) and since they just restructured the discount program, my cost is even closer. I've been with Sprint for what seems like forever, but the writing is clear on the wall unless LTE and new hardware blows me away.

Reactions: cheburashka

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Faster network, coverage at my home, better phone selection

1. They're building an LTE network as I type. Is it done? Nope. Should they have started sooner? Absolutely.

What can they do differently NOW?

2. Really?

3. They just spent $15B+ on iPhones so they could get an exclusive on the iPhone 5. High-end phones cost money and Sprint doesn't have much at the moment. I'll use two soup cans and a piece of string before I'll use an iPhone but Sprint gained 1.6 million new customers last quarter and 40% of those customers chose iPhones. To speed up the LTE rollout and improve the network and improve their phone selection they have to get cash somewhere. The quickest, cheapest way for them to do that is to get new customers. The iPhone is doing that.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Sprint needs to prioritize its network and keep the customers it has rather than suck in new people to make the load even worse.

It would be like me booking 100 weddings this year when my capacity is 25, and instead of hiring three new photographers to take some of the load off my shoulders I spend that money on marketing to new people and book 200 more. If I can only take on 25, I'm going to have 300 people pissed off and telling 3,000 people how poor my service is.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I'm not a Telecom insider. I just know 28kbps sucks.

Check out Sprint's 3G when everyone is asleep. ;)

ae960f24-cfa1-90f3.jpg

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sprint needs to drop all those little networks they have piggybacking on theirs. Like Boost and Virgin and that Government cell phone. Our speeds would double.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Check out Sprint's 3G when everyone is asleep. ;)

Yes I'm aware that Sprint is tolerable at night. However, every other carrier gives you night owl speeds at normal human being hours (actually faster).

Check out AT&T's 3G (HDPA) when everyone except grandma is awake.

a6c7a593-e386-2c95.jpg

Last edited:

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
WOW! It's amazing how quickly this thread turned into whinging soundboard of butthurt.

Everyone wants a brand-new state-of-the-art network but no one says a word about HOW Sprint is supposed to raise the cash to make that happen. Sprint hasn't turned a profit since 2007 and their credit-lines are pretty much tapped out. They don't have much room to maneuver and don't have much time left to turn things around.

Their efforts to raise cash for the shiny new network everyone wants (subletting their network to MVNOs and packinging iPhone customers with their unlimited data plans) DO make things worse for the customers already on the network but it's the only avenue they have left to PAY for the shiny new network everyone wants. They're gambling that the new network will be worth all the pain.

Reactions: crzycrkr

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
WOW! It's amazing how quickly this thread turned into whinging soundboard of butthurt.

Not being all unicorns and fairy dust in love with Sprint doesn't mean anyone's butthurt. You're not going to get much dialog if you attack dissent like that.

Everyone wants a brand-new state-of-the-art network but no one says a word about HOW Sprint is supposed to raise the cash to make that happen. Sprint hasn't turned a profit since 2007 and their credit-lines are pretty much tapped out. They don't have much room to maneuver and don't have much time left to turn things around.

Well I already told you I'm not a telecom insider so I don't know how they can or should make it happen. I just know they need to make it happen.

Their efforts to raise cash for the shiny new network everyone wants (subletting their network to MVNOs and packinging iPhone customers with their unlimited data plans) DO make things worse for the customers already on the network but it's the only avenue they have left to PAY for the shiny new network everyone wants. They're gambling that the new network will be worth all the pain.

I just hope their gamble pays off. I used to defend the heck out of Sprint but when you get speeds equivalent to the earliest days of dial-up, it's hard (in my case impossible) to tough it out. Not everyone can rearrange their life to be up every night just to get usable data on their phone.

Sprint's poor network performance, especially lately, has me feeling guilty every day for convincing my mother that Sprint would be good for her and getting her locked in a 2 year agreement. It turned out to be terrible advice.

Alas, I root for Sprint but I must do it as a former customer rather than a current subscriber.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Not being all unicorns and fairy dust in love with Sprint doesn't mean anyone's butthurt. You're not going to get much dialog if you attack dissent like that.

That's my point - the thread isn't about whether or not you love Sprint - it's about what you'd change to make Sprint better if you were in charge. There's been very few suggestions but a lot of whinging.

Well I already told you I'm not a telecom insider so I don't know how they can or should make it happen. I just know they need to make it happen.

I'm not an insider either. I'm not even sure Sprint's going to survive the next 24 months. They don't have many options left and the ones they do have aren't very good. I would describe my interest in Sprint more as morbid curiosity than rooting for an underdog. I'm a Sprint customer, but it has more to do with my grandfathered plan costing 1/3rd what it would cost me to change carriers than any loyalty to Sprint. It's not a question of IF they're going to get bought by Amazon, Apple, Google or MS but WHEN.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey