Galaxy nexus vs s3

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion (factually based or not) of which will be the better phone. I am also curious if anyone has any idea how much each will cost by August.

CogitaClare

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The S3 will have ridiculously better hardware and stock proprietary software, but official updates from Samsung will probably come no faster than they ever have, which is just not fast at all. To run the latest Android versions in the future, you will probably have to depend on independent developers releasing custom ROMs. The S3 would be great for someone planning to upgrade/replace within 6 to 12 months, or someone who is comfortable with rooting it and keeping it updated with dev releases.

The Nexus will not have Samsung branding or proprietary software (like Touchwiz) but will always run the latest open source Android OS that Google puts out, even a couple years down the road. Its hardware capabilities, though impressive in the current market, will soon be dwarfed by the likes of the S3 and other competitive models. If you can remain impressed by the Nexus's constantly current software and support and the decent hardware that it contains, then it will provide competent service with excellent longevity.

The Nexus is yesteryear's model, though. Verizon has had their Nexus for quite some time and Sprint seems to have gotten it the way younger siblings get hand-me-downs. That's less-than-stellar on Sprint's part, IMHO. It is a very solid phone with its own unique benefits, but personally, I am holding out for the quad-core supa-fast technologically sexy S3, and I will have faith in the dev community to keep it awesome for some time.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus is yesteryear's model, though. Verizon has had their Nexus for quite some time and Sprint seems to have gotten it the way younger siblings get hand-me-downs. That's less-than-stellar on Sprint's part, IMHO.

Verizon released their GN on Dec 15, 2011.
That is right at 3.5 months.
I know technology changes quickly but I would not call that "quite some time" ago.

Sprint's Galaxy Nexus will be out on April 15th and it will be top of the line for a good while due to it getting all future Google updates in a very timely manner.
There is not any sniff of a rumor when the GSIII will be released.
Could be Fall before that is even known.

Just my $.02, but I will be first in line for the Galaxy Nexus on the 15th.

Mav. :cool:

CogitaClare

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon released their GN on Dec 15, 2011.
That is right at 3.5 months.
I know technology changes quickly but I would not call that "quite some time" ago.

Yeah, you know, maybe I'm just anxious! I have friends on Big Red and they've had their Galaxy Nexus joy since VZ's release in December. And, well, I've been waiting for what feels like "quite some time"! Sure, I guess four months is only four months, but that is a third of a year of experimenting, learning, tinkering, developing, customizing, using and enjoying a piece of tech that others have had for long enough that I will come along with Nexus ideas by around the end of April that will make them say, "oh... yeah... I've seen that".

I had said that it is a very good phone that will have excellent longevity due to the software updates, as you said. But 1.2GHz dual-core vs. 1.5GHz quad-core? 1GB of RAM vs. 2GB? 5&1.3MP cameras vs. 12&2, with 60fps video recording? One of these phones has the hardware for the future. Samsung's given a few sniffs and whiffs of release intentions, and even if nothing concrete comes out on it til fall, fall is only... four months away!

I'm getting a Nexus on April 15, too, don't get me wrong! But when the S3 comes out, the Nexus goes to my daughter. :p

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow the S3 sounds like the phone God is using right now. I'm really jaded with Samsung products though....

Samsung has come a long way. There was a time I wouldn't get a Samsung. After having used the phenomenal Sg2, I can't wait to see what 3 brings to the table.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I suppose you have a point. Is it too much to expect any future smartphone to come with a kickstand and/or HDMI support???! Bc I love that my Evo has it right now. If not its no biggie.