Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    Two words - the network


    More words...in case you want to hear me vent...

    I love Sprint's pricing, but their network is a joke...as are their expansion plans. When we will see LTE? In how many markets? In how many months? Six markets...by mid-year?!

    Contrast that plan with Verizon:


    America’s largest 4G network is getting a little larger this Thursday. Verizon has announced it will bring its 4G LTE network into 27 new markets this week, and will be expanding the service in 44 of its existing markets.

    The expansion makes Verizon’s 4G LTE network available in a total of 230 markets, which — according to Verizon — makes the service available to more than two thirds of the U.S. population.




    27 more markets...this week.

    I suppose that if I could get a decent 3G/4G signal, I would be less frustrated, but I cannot...at home, at work, or pretty much anyplace in between on my overclocked 3G Pre.

    I understand that a new more powerful phone will help, but my 1GHz Pre does pretty well on wifi...but try and hit a web page when I am on the 3G radio? Good luck. Yeah, I know, different antenna, but my daughter does no better on her Epic 4G.

    Do I live in the boonies? Hardly. I live outside of DC in northern VA in a town that was formerly sprint's HQ...and I work across the street from Dulles airport. My county is hardly rural.

    Thus, why bother upgrading? Why should I lock in for two more years, drop 200 beans on a subsidized device, and pay another $120 a year for premium data fees for a network that is largely a joke? Don't get me wrong, I love Sprint's pricing, which is why I stick around, but I'm not doubling down. They seriously need to get off their butts and announce the 50 markets that Sprint LTE is hitting this summer...not six.

    Seriously, are any of us here for any reason other than their pricing? Why are folks paying a premium for flagship devices that often connect at speeds in the hundreds of kilobits? I'm sure that some folks here will say that they have great 4G service...and if so, congrats, but far too many posts here and elsewhere tell a different story for many Sprint users. I suppose that you get what you pay for.

    Man, the Nexus looks great...and the prospect of the GSIII and HTC EVO LTE even better...but I just can't get excited about locking in for two more years on this network. Willpower. Willpower.

    Anyway, I just needed to vent. Your mileage may vary.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    by the end of 2013 99% of sprint will be LTE.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    FIRST ROUND MARKETS (14):
    First round markets have no preceding markets before them. NV OEM's will mobilize in these markets and begin deployment. These markets will deploy slowly as there is a significant learning curve to Network Vision. Most first round markets started between December 2011 and March 2012.
    Atlanta/Athens* Link
    Houston* Link
    DFW* (Dallas/Ft. Worth) Link
    San Antonio* Link
    Baltimore* Link
    Kansas City* Link
    Chicago Link
    San Francisco Link
    Boston Link
    Washington, D.C. Link
    New York City/Westchester Link
    LA Metro (Los Angeles) Link
    Central Jersey Link
    Austin Link
    SECOND ROUND MARKETS (27):
    Second round markets start based on First Round markets completing before them. There is a lot of variability of when Second Round markets start, between June/July 2012 and December 2012. It will all depend on how quickly the First Round market deployments go. Some preliminary work is being done in advance in these Second Markets as well. It's possible that if delays begin to occur in the First Round markets, NV OEM's may hire up additional subcontractors and get some key Second Round markets going. Stay tuned to S4GRU.com for updates.
    South Bay (San Jose) Link
    West Washington (Seattle) Link
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Lansing) Link
    Oregon/SW Washington (Portland) Link
    Charlotte Link
    Nashville Link
    New Orleans Link
    Philadelphia Metro Link
    Southern Connecticut Link
    PR/VI (Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands) Link
    San Diego Link
    Northern Jersey Link
    Orange County, California Link
    Raleigh/Durham Link
    Orlando Link
    Miami/West Palm Link
    Riverside/San Bernardino Link
    Indianapolis Link
    East Michigan (Detroit) Link
    Norfolk (Hampton Roads) Link
    Long Island Link
    Tampa Link
    Jacksonville Link
    Memphis Link
    Minnesota Link
    South West Florida Link
    Ft. Wayne/South Bend Link]


    those markets will be up by end of 2012




    This is what Sprint's LTE network will look like when it is done.

    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default

    If you're looking for LTE now, Sprint is the wrong choice. They bet on wimax and got burned, bigtime. They are starting LTE at a disadvantage.

    I stay for all the free coffee they supply. :-P
    Thanked by:
    VickMackey#AC likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    If you're looking for LTE now, Sprint is the wrong choice. They bet on wimax and got burned, bigtime. They are starting LTE at a disadvantage.

    I stay for all the free coffee they supply. :-P

    lol


    Coffee aside, Sprint's LTE roll out plans aren't cutting it for me. Sources that I have seen (including those above) include numerous caveats indicating that there are many factors at play and there may be delays. Even worse, other reports claim that even when rolled out, the LTE network will be significantly overburdened given Sprint's limited available bandwidth. It's an uphill battle for them.

    Even if you believe that their future LTE network will be fantastic, if you buy one of these new LTE devices now, you will be stuck on 3G until LTE is rolled out.

    I think that my plan is likely to wait until Verizon introduces shared data plans this summer and then jump:

    On a call discussing Verizon's Q1 earnings report, CFO Francis Shammo has once again touched on the company's promised shared data plans, targeting their launch in mid-summer.
    (source: )


    It will cost more, but my family will be getting something for the added expense - a network that justifies the killer phones that we are carrying. It's more of a bird in the hand thing for me. VZ's network is up now and there are numerous positive reports of its performance (at least for now). Sprint is starting to sell killer phones, bundling them with promises and rainbows...but will be connecting you at (tenuous) 3G speeds until...well, until whenever. Given the performance of their 3G and wimax networks, I'm not placing much stock in the promises for a bright LTE future. I hope that they prove me wrong.

    cheers,
    Scuba
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 04-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Just to shed some light. I am on VZW and I read other posts not to be a troll but to learn and spread info.

    4GLTE is all that and a bag of chips. However I have not had a 4g phone that I did not need to buy a bigger battery. Staying with Sprint may alleviate this pain as the future phones are being planned with larger battery capacity.

    The network also has its instabilities so at times your 4g goes bye bye (although all networks are plagued by this I imagine).

    VZW is not as quick to bend over backwards for their customers as Sprint ( from what I heard). Nit to say they won't take care of you sometimes it just takes a little coaxing

    All I am saying is that if you jump ship make sure it is for the right reasons.
    Thanked by 3:
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    lol


    Coffee aside, Sprint's LTE roll out plans aren't cutting it for me. Sources that I have seen (including those above) include numerous caveats indicating that there are many factors at play and there may be delays. Even worse, other reports claim that even when rolled out, the LTE network will be significantly overburdened given Sprint's limited available bandwidth. It's an uphill battle for them.

    Even if you believe that their future LTE network will be fantastic, if you buy one of these new LTE devices now, you will be stuck on 3G until LTE is rolled out.

    I think that my plan is likely to wait until Verizon introduces shared data plans this summer and then jump:

    On a call discussing Verizon's Q1 earnings report, CFO Francis Shammo has once again touched on the company's promised shared data plans, targeting their launch in mid-summer.
    (source: )


    It will cost more, but my family will be getting something for the added expense - a network that justifies the killer phones that we are carrying. It's more of a bird in the hand thing for me. VZ's network is up now and there are numerous positive reports of its performance (at least for now). Sprint is starting to sell killer phones, bundling them with promises and rainbows...but will be connecting you at (tenuous) 3G speeds until...well, until whenever. Given the performance of their 3G and wimax networks, I'm not placing much stock in the promises for a bright LTE future. I hope that they prove me wrong.

    cheers,
    Scuba
    Dont like the coverage. Cant wait for lte. Than my only answer is go to verizon. Complaining about it isnt helping anyone
  8. #8  
    duffkitty's Avatar
    Lurker

    Posts
    67 Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 9 Nightly

    Default

    Comparing Sprint to Verizon or even AT&T isn't really fair. Both are much larger companies than Sprint and have more play with where they spend their money. It's kind of like saying why isn't In and Out opening as many new restaurants as McDonalds? In and Out isn't the same scale but provides great food where you can get it.

    In my area Sprint has great service. We have WiMax and will be getting LTE early on in the roll outs so it is a great idea to stick with them for 2 more years. Of course ymmv.

    Edit: I also am getting tired of "This is faster than this". WiMax is damned fast, fast enough really, who cares if LTE is a little faster. 3g where it is good is fast enough for a phone really. Especially since a majority of us will be using WiFi and I could even tether with 3g and get a good enough connection to do what I need on the internet. 5 years ago there were plenty of us who got 3 megabit broadband connections and were ecstatic after upgrading from 56k or 1 megabit DSL.
    Last edited by duffkitty; 04-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default

    To each his own. I have five phones on my plan and the additional speed is easily not worth the extra cost. My speeds are plenty fast enough for what I do, and I don't have to worry about how much data I use, which would be an issue on big red.

    And all of my friends that switched to at&t for the iPhone constantly complained about dropped calls. No, I'll stick worth my lower bill and unlimited data and laugh all the way to the bank.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  
    strawhatnito0890's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    ROM
    JOKER'S CM9 ON PHOTON

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kulk35 View Post
    Just to shed some light. I am on VZW and I read other posts not to be a troll but to learn and spread info.

    4GLTE is all that and a bag of chips. However I have not had a 4g phone that I did not need to buy a bigger battery. Staying with Sprint may alleviate this pain as the future phones are being planned with larger battery capacity.

    The network also has its instabilities so at times your 4g goes bye bye (although all networks are plagued by this I imagine).

    VZW is not as quick to bend over backwards for their customers as Sprint ( from what I heard). Nit to say they won't take care of you sometimes it just takes a little coaxing

    All I am saying is that if you jump ship make sure it is for the right reasons.
    I'm so happy u said dis everyone and they mama is talking carp and about Sprint and wanna leave but don't know how much Dey would pay on VZW or or cause dey want a different fone be happy wit wat u got

    N.I.T.O K.U.S.H MB855
    NITO KUSH
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strawhat nito0890 View Post
    I'm so happy u said dis everyone and they mama is talking carp and about Sprint and wanna leave but don't know how much Dey would pay on VZW or or cause dey want a different fone be happy wit wat u got

    N.I.T.O K.U.S.H MB855
    Learn how to spell
    Thanked by 3:
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Two words - the network


    More words...in case you want to hear me vent...

    I love Sprint's pricing, but their network is a joke...as are their expansion plans. When we will see LTE? In how many markets? In how many months? Six markets...by mid-year?!

    Contrast that plan with Verizon:


    America’s largest 4G network is getting a little larger this Thursday. Verizon has announced it will bring its 4G LTE network into 27 new markets this week, and will be expanding the service in 44 of its existing markets.

    The expansion makes Verizon’s 4G LTE network available in a total of 230 markets, which — according to Verizon — makes the service available to more than two thirds of the U.S. population.




    27 more markets...this week.

    I suppose that if I could get a decent 3G/4G signal, I would be less frustrated, but I cannot...at home, at work, or pretty much anyplace in between on my overclocked 3G Pre.

    I understand that a new more powerful phone will help, but my 1GHz Pre does pretty well on wifi...but try and hit a web page when I am on the 3G radio? Good luck. Yeah, I know, different antenna, but my daughter does no better on her Epic 4G.

    Do I live in the boonies? Hardly. I live outside of DC in northern VA in a town that was formerly sprint's HQ...and I work across the street from Dulles airport. My county is hardly rural.

    Thus, why bother upgrading? Why should I lock in for two more years, drop 200 beans on a subsidized device, and pay another $120 a year for premium data fees for a network that is largely a joke? Don't get me wrong, I love Sprint's pricing, which is why I stick around, but I'm not doubling down. They seriously need to get off their butts and announce the 50 markets that Sprint LTE is hitting this summer...not six.

    Seriously, are any of us here for any reason other than their pricing? Why are folks paying a premium for flagship devices that often connect at speeds in the hundreds of kilobits? I'm sure that some folks here will say that they have great 4G service...and if so, congrats, but far too many posts here and elsewhere tell a different story for many Sprint users. I suppose that you get what you pay for.

    Man, the Nexus looks great...and the prospect of the GSIII and HTC EVO LTE even better...but I just can't get excited about locking in for two more years on this network. Willpower. Willpower.

    Anyway, I just needed to vent. Your mileage may vary.
    I understand. I had to leave because their 3g was terrible and their 4g couldn't penetrate a wet paper bag. Other then that I really liked sprint. Hopefully when they finally get lte out it will relieve their 3g network and all will be well.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. #13  
    w9awx's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    As of right now, here in the forever stuck in 3G land, we can't beat the pricing of Sprint. Yes, we all want 4G LTE speeds at our favorite home, work, and sports bar. Many complain about how slow their WiMax is compared to VZN or AT&T. I wish we were that lucky. We were supposed to have WiMax years ago and are still waiting. But, if we would move to another carrier, we wouldn't get the customer service we have had recently and would pay a minimum of 10% more because we can't get the same price discount through our employers. Add on top of that the actual cost differences in the unlimited plans (a necessity with 2 teenagers in the house) between Sprint and the other 3,and its nearly a no-brainer. Only the loss of the premier plan and having two Optimus S phones with barely any signal in our house in the middle of a metro area keeps us from 100% recommending Sprint over the others. Once our area goes LTE, possibly before the end of 2012 according to the April update (fingers crossed), my one big bug up my **** will have finally been flushed down the toilet. Best thing is my upgrade comes at the end of the year so if things looks promising enough, I'll move my wife's and I Optimus phones to LTE phones.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I think you meant we got burned. Can't wait to hear all the ing from all the wimax people when they can't get it on their new LTE phone and have to use the crappy neglected 3G network.

    Sent from my sorry *** EVO 3D
  15. #15  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    Sprint, because I don't want to have to sync my podcasts and watch youtube videos on WiFi. Try doing that on ATT/VZW.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    I suspect that many who responded to my original post didn't read much of it.

    I wasn't stating that Sprint was evil...or worthless. In fact, I stated that they are inexpensive and a great option. What I was stating was that I (me, scuba steve) will not be buying a new flagship LTE device on Sprint, locking in for two more years, and paying a data premium for the PROMISE of 4G....and being stuck at 3G until then. I have a 3G phone now thanks...and when I am at home and wifi is available, I am more likely to be using a tablet anyway. I'll buy an LTE device when I can walk out of the Sprint store with it and get an LTE signal.

    I was also stating that I am surprised that so many (including those with wimax phones) are jumping on these new LTE devices with LTE unavailable in the vast majority of the network...and paying a premium for 3G until...well, until they get to you.

    Oh well, I also said that it was just my opinion and a venting rant...so if you read it, you only have yourself to blame.


    BTW, Gizmodo seems to agree in an article that they posted today. Look at the list of the

    Again, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 05-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    By the way, just to be fair and balanced, Frontline recently aired a great show on the human cost of these network upgrades. 100 workers killed on towers since 2003...50 of those working on cell towers...in the race for increasing network capacity/speed.

    It's worth watching if you have 30 minutes to kill:



    I watched it last night...and now feel a bit badly about being so impatient.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    To be clear, I totally agree with you Scuba Steve. I wouldn't dream of investing in a new phone on Sprint right now with the network the way it is now. I'll stick with them, but I'm not investing in them. And you're right, I didn't really read your original post lol.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009
  19. #19  
    delta7's Avatar

    Posts
    308 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default

    I think people need to relax and just realize its just a phone first and the main thing is communication.

    4G is great but trust me you'll go through your data limit on verizon or att in a few hours. Also, sprint is cheaper than both and the phone signal is pretty good. If I couldn't make a call I'll leave but data isn't much of a issue, 4G basically destroys battery life with the exception on the razr maxx and ipad 3.

    Yes sprint has dial up 3g but you know what? I don't care really and why? Because more and more places are adding wifi. That popular bar you visit will probably add wifi, Starbucks, McDonald's, even the buses and trains...

    4G is just a big plot to screw consumers into going over your data and trust me you will.

    Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  
    PLCSP's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    By the way, just to be fair and balanced, Frontline recently aired a great show on the human cost of these network upgrades. 100 workers killed on towers since 2003...50 of those working on cell towers...in the race for increasing network capacity/speed.

    It's worth watching if you have 30 minutes to kill:



    I watched it last night...and now feel a bit badly about being so impatient.
    People die doing just about every occupation.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Don't forget that they are replacing old equipment with new equipment that will handle 3g and 4g better. 3g is improving and once 4g hits 3g should have a lighter load. I totally agree tho about not locking into another 2yr plan. Course I still plan on upgrading to a tegra 3 device when I can because I'm a gamer!!!! Lol

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  
    3rdpig's Avatar

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

    Default Re: I want a killer new phone...and why I am not getting one

    I left Sprint for VZ several years ago when I needed wider coverage and Sprint had nothing, not even a tenuous timeline, for me. I couldn't even make calls from some of the areas I travel to.

    Right now on VZ I've got a 4G Moto Droid Bionic. I'm on a multi line account with someone who gets a 17% corporate discount. For two lines, 1400 shared minutes, unlimited data and texts, we're paying $77 each, or about $155 total, per month.

    Not only can I make calls everywhere I go, but I've got a solid 3G signal to every area I travel to, and most areas, including my home area, are solid 4G LTE. My LTE connection on my Bionic is as fast as my home cable internet connection. And 3G is solid even in outlying areas. And yes, I had to buy an extended battery ($28 on Amazon) and a more powerful car charger ($12 on Amazon) to handle the extra load.

    But it hasn't all been sweetness and light with VZ. While Sprint was that company that I hated to love, VZ is that company that I love to hate. My first phone with them was a BB Storm. I'm sure you all know what a POS the Storm was, and every time I called for help all I'd get was the Droid sales talk or an offer of a refurbed Storm which I knew would be as bad as the one that was in my hand.

    Not that Sprints CS was much better, don't even start me on the $200 rebate that one of their store managers promised me, in writing, that took me nearly 6 months, half a dozen phone calls and a threat of small claims court, to actually get.

    Also, VZ knows they have the best network, and they know that few of us, at least around where I live, are going to leave for Sprint, AT&T or T-Mo. And that knowledge lets them think they can jerk us around, and they do. While I doubt the switch to shared data plans will hurt me since I use wifi at home and rarely go over 3GB a month, it's still a slap in the face. And while I've threatened them with leaving more than once, they realize that there's really no place to go and still get the service and coverage I need.

    And while I might be able to save $15 or so a month by going elsewhere, it's not going to make up for the loss of coverage or data speeds. Not even close.

    Hope this helps you.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    By the way, just to be fair and balanced, Frontline recently aired a great show on the human cost of these network upgrades. 100 workers killed on towers since 2003...50 of those working on cell towers...in the race for increasing network capacity/speed.

    It's worth watching if you have 30 minutes to kill:



    I watched it last night...and now feel a bit badly about being so impatient.
    I am going to stop driving because it is one of the leading causes of death.

    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk.
  24. #24  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    For the past year, Sprints 3G has been despicable. If it weren't for wifi I wouldn't be a able to do anything that required a data connection because mine is horrendously slow.

    Even worse on my sons I Phone 4S.

    Tappin' from my SGP 5.0
  25. #25  

    Default

    I think we all need to report our dissatisfaction with this service rating company that Sprint claims voted them fours years in a row as number one. The ASCI American Customer Satisfaction Index, my last two years has been a real night mare for me and my family regarding service and satisfaction.We need to stand up and be counted so this phoney claim is dealt with.

    sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Mercury81; 05-27-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B