Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Default Damnit Sprint!!

Looks like they may be throttling our bandwidth. Damn, just damn.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

What does that mean?

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    ROM
    Absinthe JB 5.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    Looks like they may be throttling our bandwidth. Damn, just damn.
    Well that blows
    Left Android for the Darkside...
    Yes. I'm a proud owner of an iPhone 5S. Please don't hurt me

If I've helped in anyway... kindly show your appreciation by clicking that lovely "Thanks" button below ------------------------------------------↓
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    What does that mean?
    They will be lowering the speed of either the 3G or 4G network, or both. I know that 4G is capped at 1 Mbps upload, that's fine. I want this phone for speed, if anything put a data caps on there.
    </awesome>

It appears to mean that they say that you have unlimited bandwidth, but they can turn it down so that you effectively don't. Your bandwidth use is unlimited as long as sprint keeps giving it to you. But they reserve the right to stop giving you bandwidth through throttling. Presumably on an as needed basis.

Whatever it is it doesn't sound good

They will prolly only throttle when network use is high.

What about my "$10 data rich premium" ???

This will be implemented in late summer....well after the 30 day Sprint guarantee expires.

Fing Sprint! I tell ya...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

We don't know the extent of the throttling. They may only do it if our usage goes too high, or they may decide to be asshats and bring us back to the dial up days. Either way, that 10 dollar fee is looking a little bit more like a rip off.
    </awesome>

Wow sprint, nice and shady of you

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I knew Sprint was going to pull some sort of stunt to overshadow finally having a pretty phone in their line up.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Seems early to freak over this. We have no idea what this will look like, or even what that whole sentence in the pic says. If they throttle everyone down to 4-5mbps when there is mass congestion, so nobody gets kicked, awesome.

OTOH, if they throttle everyone down to dial up speeds for no reason, then screw'em. It'll be considered a material change in the service, and everyone will run away without getting hit with an etf.

I'm all for responsible, neutral network management, so I'll just wait and see what actually happens before going crazy from a leaked pic of an incomplete sentence.

I think there trying to avoid the AT&T disaster. In that sense there smart, they will probably open it up full throttle when they see the network can handle the EVO. They shouldn't of added the $10 thing if they knew this was there plans.

Clearwire does this sort of thing all the time. I had them for a couple of months, then my decent speeds went dead overnight. I dumped my contract on another person and never looked back. But keep in mind, ANY network provider could do this, even cable or DSL companies. If Sprint does, they'll have complaints for sure, maybe some lawsuits, but they'll still do it if they think it's best for their business.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

It still annoys the hell out of me. If he was going to raise the price 10 dollars for everyone, then it would be a little bit more acceptable. Instead, we are being charged 10 dollars and our Bandwidth can be throttled.

We still don't know the extent of it, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
    </awesome>

I thought Sprint was being bold by charging that ripoff $10 premium data charge, but for them to start reducing the speed of the data you can use when it was one of the selling points of this phone is unconscionable. Sprint better tread lightly on this or they are going to have some unhappy customers.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

too early to get bent over this yet.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by Cr12 View Post
    I agree. The excerpt Engadget shows doesn't even say to what extent they're going to throttle bandwidth. T-Mobile started doing it to users who go over 5GB's I think on their service, but they still give them unlimited data after throttling. TMobile was also one of the companies at CTIA I think? Talking about how individual use of data is increasing all the time on phones and such. That IMO shows me there's at least TMobile that as mobile broadband networks continue to advance, they'll be increasing the headroom for customers as well.

I can't see Sprint just effectively making their 4G phone launch moot. Never know though.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Every cable company I've done business with for Internet access has throttled bandwidth. They need to do it to ensure everyone has decent throughput. It stinks for those of us who want more or use it more responsibly, but in the end, it's just the way things are.

I would be surprised if Sprint and Clearwire didn't throttle somehow to maintain quality of service for everyone on the network. I'm sure that s time goes by, the throttles will raise (higher throughput speeds) just as they have been on Cable for Internet service (we're at 40 mbs now vs the 3 mbs when I first got Cable Internet).

I'm not sweating it. I get good service, and that's something not many other cell carriers can give their clients with smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr12 View Post
    I agree but the 30 day return window is fast approaching and there's not easy out after that window closes, you're committed to an extra $240 a year.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Everyone needs to calm down.

There is far too little information to know if this even applies to the EVO. I would bet this will apply to those people who are NOT on the "premium" data plan.

Default Sprint to begin throttling 3g/4g data this summer?

I didn't read my contract, did you? Amazing how these carriers can come up w/ ways to maximize profits, and tread the thin line w/ their customers......man!

Sprint to begin throttling data this summer? -- Engadget

"You know the fine print of your EVO 4G contract that gives Sprint the right to limit throughput speeds without notice? Skipped past that part? Well, consider this your unofficial notice. If what we're reading above is accurate, then Sprint appears ready to introduce data throttling this summer. Where and how are the big questions. The image above received from a tipster appears to have been grabbed from Sprint's own "The Playbook," though we have no way of confirming that at this time. It certainly make sense though given T-Mobile USA's recent move away from overage charges in favor of throttling."

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

If this is true, I suspect it will only be for 3G in an effort to push more people to 4G. Clearwire has specifically stated they plan to have no caps for 4G because they have a lot more capacity than all other carriers.

Another possibility is they only cap those who don't have the Premium Data Package (the $10 EVO tax).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast