Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Well it's been very good (up to 29mbps down) in certain areas here in the near west burbs and the west side of the city. To pretty average (5-6mbps down) in parts of the North side. Have experienced some up and down speeds in Eastern Dupage Between 22nd and Ogden, but mostly pretty decent.

Still some holes in coverage here and there, and 3G is still pretty bad. But yeah I have to agree, it's been kind of hit and miss so far. Was hoping LTE speeds would be a bit more uniform across the area.

But this rollout is still a work in progress, so hopefully by late Spring/early Summer things will be better. The speedtest below was taken in downtown Oak Park on Lake Street.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by bearballz72; 01-17-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearballz72 View Post
    Well it's been very good (28mbps down) in certain areas here in the near west burbs and the west side of the city, to pretty average (5-6mbps down) in parts of the North side and in near west Dupage.

Still some holes in coverage here and there, and 3G is still pretty bad. But yeah I have to agree, it's been kind of hit and miss so far.

Hoping things will get better come Spring.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. In Jacksonville its spotty at the moment. When I do get 4g LTE its pretty fast (see below) but... That's only in those few areas for Florida.

Hopefully Florida and Chicago will both catch up soon!

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?-uploadfromtaptalk1358378063552.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I stopped doing speed tests a while ago because I don't do any tethering or have a LTE hotspot device.

But, it is interesting that people are experiencing speeds under 5 Mbps though considering how many people still have WiMax or even 3G only phones.

Hopefully Sprint is just throttling and this isn't an indication of the network being over-saturated. I'm perfectly happy with the speeds right now, just hope they stay at this level.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #279  

I don't believe Sprint is throttling but it does make you wonder if their current setup of the new LTE network isn't as capable as they had hoped. Plus who knows what exact completion rate they are currently at in Chicago land market.

I'll admit the speed I'm getting at even 4 or 5 Mbps average is still better than 3g but I would love to see better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

We are only 61% lte completed here

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Well in some places around the Chicagoland area the speeds are pretty outstanding (look at the speed test I posted earlier). But again it seems like it's hit and miss but I don't think throttling is involved. Seems to me that it's more of a case of Sprint still upgrading the network than anything else.

But we'll see what happens in the next 3-4 months. I would hate to think the 3-5 Mbps is the best Sprint can do.
    Last edited by bearballz72; 01-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Paul627g likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I'm avg 30mb for only 61% complete is a good job imo we all are thinking that just because we are further ahead than other markets we are still not complete yet.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #283  

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I'm avg 30mb for only 61% complete is a good job imo we all are thinking that just because we are further ahead than other markets we are still not complete yet.

Nice!
    I haven't seen anything over 10mbps since they were in the testing phase back around September or so in the Plainfield area. I would love to get those LTE speeds back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

And I'm in the dense Austin area also so that's a plus

And I'm in the dense Austin area also so that's a plus

Yeah seems the westside and the near west 'burbs, have had the best speeds. At least from what I've seen.

Last edited by bearballz72; 01-22-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Was wondering if anybody has noticed an uptick in LTE coverage and speeds over the last 5 days?

Over the weekend, I noticed better coverage in the western 'burbs. Specifically along 22nd street into western Dupage county. Also I noticed I was getting 4g at my place, which is normally a dead zone for LTE.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #287  

I wish they would bump our speeds back up in the far South burbs.. During testing phases Crest Hill/Plainfield/Joliet, etc had some awesome speeds which I posted early in this thread. Now I'm lucky to see over 5-7 mbps on average using either my Gnex or my wife's SGS III.

Or maybe were just heavily flooded with LTE devices in this area sucking down the bandwidth?
    Paul

It can't be congestion already.....

Boy if I was you, my next upgrade would be a Tri-Band LTE phone when they're released....Chicago is gonna need every bit of spectrum Sprint can muster up if Chicago LTE is already feeling the Crunch. Not that a Phone even needs more than 5-10 down.

Well considering the Chicagoland area is around 60% complete (not sure how much that number has moved in recent months ), I'm sure there are areas, especially in the city or in far outlying Suburbs, were the coverage is a bit strained.

I still notice up and down speeds quite a bit here in the western burbs. I'm sure when the rollout approaches the 75-80% mark coverage and speeds will improve and stabilise.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Chicagoland is ~80-87% NV completed. ~65% LTE completed.

Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Chicagoland is ~80-87% NV completed. ~65% LTE completed.
    Well 65% LTE is getting there, more that halfway done. Hopefully when Spring gets here things will start to ramp up. I have noticed better call reception and very rarely do I miss a call or text now.

Btw, here's what I'm pulling down inside the office here in Oak Brook. Normally I was pulling down 3-4mbps. Not blazing fast, but good enough imo.

Last edited by bearballz72; 02-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Another thing. Sprint already said that speeds are gonna improve but its not gonna be att fast

Another thing. Sprint already said that speeds are gonna improve but its not gonna be att fast

Doesn't need to be I'll gladly take 5-10 Down with Unlimited as opposed to 40-50 Down with Pricey Data Caps. The Naked Eye can't tell the difference between 5-10 vs. 40-50 down on a Phone anyway. Nor is there any app in world that needs anything over 5-10 down.

40-50 does nothing but provoke the pissing contest on Forums like this.
    Thanked by 3:
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17 View Post
    Doesn't need to be I'll gladly take 5-10 Down with Unlimited as opposed to 40-50 Down with Pricey Data Caps. The Naked Eye can't tell the difference between 5-10 vs. 40-50 down on a Phone anyway. Nor is there any app in world that needs anything over 5-10 down.

40-50 does nothing but provoke the pissing contest on Forums like this.
    Exactly ill take these unlimited speeds any day haha

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?-uploadfromtaptalk1360262115368.jpg  

Funny, I was just reading an article on Engadget about Sprint's earnings and I could not believe what I was reading in the comments section.

The hate that some people have for this company is pretty fierce. Guess they rather get jerked around by the big boys than stay with Sprint.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by bearballz72 View Post
    Funny, I was just reading an article on Engadget about Sprint's earnings and I could not believe what I was reading in the comments section.

The hate that some people have for this company is pretty fierce. Guess they rather get jerked around by the big boys than stay with Sprint.

The only person I want to jerk me is my woman hahaha NO THANK U BIG RED AND BLUE

So it's been awhile since anyone has posted anything on this topic. Is anyone still having issues or has it been all good?

Seems Sprint has upgraded some towers in my area and I'm finally getting a decent LTE signal inside the house. Nothing mind blowing, but I'm somewhere around 6-7mbps.

I'm still having issues mainly in the downtown South Loop area, heck I barely can keep a 3g signal let alone picking up a lte signal. My phone is still periodically disconnecting itself from the mobile network. I'll admit it's better than it was but nowhere near where it should be!!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Maybe that's your evo cuz I noticed it switched AT THE SPRINT STORE smh lol. My Gnex stays lte by mp and Buckingham fountain not to mention Clark and lake area.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    I'm still having issues mainly in the downtown South Loop area, heck I barely can keep a 3g signal let alone picking up a lte signal. My phone is still periodically disconnecting itself from the mobile network. I'll admit it's better than it was but nowhere near where it should be!!
    Well Chicago proper is the last major area in which the Network Vision rollout is being upgraded. It's still kind of hit and miss depending on where you live in the city at this point. I would check out Sprint's website and see where you are as far as LTE coverage. If you've been following the rollout, Sprint started in the suburbs and worked their way in. Hopefully by summers end the rollout will for the most part be complete.

Also try updating your PRL and Profile. Go into Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom-->Update phone---> Hit "Update PRL"--->The when the PRL is updated--->Update Profile. That may improve your reception a bit.
    Thanked by:
    sasha 
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314 LastLast