Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  

Default Re: Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

I've been reading up on updates from local customers, etc at s4gru.com on the LTE deployment and upgrades here... Its going folks, unfortunately were just not seeing it in some of are areas....

Seems sporadic on the roll out. I have even read there have been as much as 60 confirmed connections to the new CDMA 800 Mhz frequency once occupied by the Nextels. So that is one good sign they have cleared enough Nextels off the 800 Mhz frequency to start rolling that part of Network Vision into play in some areas of Chicago.

FWIW I've been seeing screen shots of speedtests varying between 8,000 kbps to as much as 30,000 kbps/Down and 4,000 + on uploads with pings around 50 on average...

So its looking better as they power up more in Chicago..
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I've been reading up on updates from local customers, etc at s4gru.com on the LTE deployment and upgrades here... Its going folks, unfortunately were just not seeing it in some of are areas....

Seems sporadic on the roll out. I have even read there have been as much as 60 confirmed connections to the new CDMA 800 Mhz frequency once occupied by the Nextels. So that is one good sign they have cleared enough Nextels off the 800 Mhz frequency to start rolling that part of Network Vision into play in some areas of Chicago.

FWIW I've been seeing screen shots of speedtests varying between 8,000 MB to as much as 30,000 MB/Down and 4,000 + on uploads with pings around 50 on average...

So its looking better as they power up more in Chicago..
    i have seen these as well; but telling me there are no issues in my area is 100% ridiculous
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  

I agree on the issues.. Its no secret there is issues and Sprint knows it... I think just getting the luck of the draw on CS reps when we call in is the problem. Some are willing to go thru the process of issuing a complaint and credit refund while others feel that is too much to ask from them..
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

I agree on the issues.. Its no secret there is issues and Sprint knows it... I think just getting the luck of the draw on CS reps when we call in is the problem. Some are willing to go thru the process of issuing a complaint and credit refund while others feel that is too much to ask from them..
    hows the coverage by you; im out in new lenox for work and its not the greatest but at least the texts are going through; a few weeks back it would take me up to 5 times to send a text message
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

Quote Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
    hows the coverage by you; im out in new lenox for work and its not the greatest but at least the texts are going through; a few weeks back it would take me up to 5 times to send a text message
    Comes and goes in south end of Plainfield... Text messages seem to work fine but sending pics is a 50/50 shot most of the time...

Signal strength on 3g is decent but the speeds are very inconsistant... One min I'm getting reasonable 200-500 speeds or better, 5 mins later I'm down to dial up....

4g (WiMax) is decent when I get into 4g range... My daughter has a Sprint GNex and were not picking up a 4G/LTE signal here at home.
    Paul

Yeah I was actually thinking about calling CS again and complaining. The last couple of days have been probably the worst since I've been on Sprint. Dropped at least 8 calls, 4 people tried calling and texting me and didn't get them until a couple hours later. The data speeds have been just absolutely terrible.

Seems from Manheim road to almost Austin ave. along 22nd st./Cermak rd. is just one big dead zone all of a sudden. I'm hoping this means they're upgrading the towers in the area.

Even noticed in Oakbrook, where I work around the McDonalds campus, the data speeds have gone down quite a bit.
    Last edited by bearballz72; 08-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #82  

Quote Originally Posted by bearballz72 View Post
    Yeah I was actually thinking about calling CS again and complaining. The last couple of days have been probably the worst since I've been on Sprint. Dropped at least 8 calls, 4 people tried calling and texting me and didn't get them until a couple hours later. The data speeds have been just absolutely terrible.

Seems from Manheim road to almost Austin ave. along 22nd st./Cermak rd. is just one big dead zone all of a sudden. I'm hoping this means they're upgrading the towers in the area.

Even noticed in Oakbrook, where I work around the McDonalds campus, the data speeds have gone down quite a bit.
    That is surprising as those are some very high populated areas for big business. I know those areas well.... Not to mention it's right on the door step of Ohare airport.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    Paul

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  

Okay Joliet, Il right around Louis Joliet Mall.

Solid 4g/LTE on my Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul

jazmatician likes this.

Okay Joliet, Il right around Louis Joliet Mall.

Solid 4g/LTE on my Galaxy Nexus.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I want now!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

I was very shocked to say the least when my 4g/LTE popped on driving thru.. It was a good 5 mile stretch area that had that signal. I immediately started doing Speedtest after Speedtest and as I got more central located in the heart of the signal I popped those 30,000+ kbps! Man that was impressive...

Faster than my home internet from Comcast.. LOL..
    Paul

I was very shocked to say the least when my 4g/LTE popped on driving thru.. It was a good 5 mile stretch area that had that signal. I immediately started doing Speedtest after Speedtest and as I got more central located in the heart of the signal I popped those 30,000+ kbps! Man that was impressive...

I know. I want it so bad here in elgin. My att phone runs about that same speed on lte. Faster then my home internet. Just want my sprint phone, my personal phone to get it now too. I smell it. I just want to taste it now too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's pretty impressive! Yeah I've been reading the posts on 4gru as well and the Joliet area seems to be the hotspot for LTE in the Chicagoland area. Just hoping it make it's way up north sooner than later.

Just did a speedtest and I was clocking in at 135kbps down and 29kbps up (397ms ping time) which is a bit above average for me. Better than nothing I guess.
    Last edited by bearballz72; 08-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

service still sucks today; on hold with sprint again; said i am getting transferred to a supervisor....

she said i will receive a create; not sure what it will be but she said a ticket should be closed tonight for the voice issues in my area

I haven't check this topic in a while. Is everyone still getting dismal speeds? Still pretty bad here in the near west burbs.

My GF called twice the other day and didn't get a voicemail until 3 hours later. Keep telling her it's the network (LOL) but still really frustrating!

Well I'm primary in downtown Chicago near the South Loop and I'm still getting crappie speeds!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

Yep were back to garbage again out in the Plainfield/Joliet area... I actually tried to active a new phone the other day and couldn't from my house. CS couldn't even get it recognized on their end and opened a ticket to have me go to my local Sprint store in the morning. I went to the store only to find out when I got there the phone worked, activated and it was due to my area (about 3 miles away) almost completely blocked off from Sprint service...

Trust me I will be talking to Sprint again about this... Time for more discounts on my bill..
    Paul

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

i updated my prl this week and new lenox was solid; i had nearly full bars and was getting 1.25 mbps down; which to me is amazing; normally getting about 0.10 -0.25mbps

I got my signal back in elgin almost everywhere but the speeds are still very poor. In dundee there was little to no signal all through the town yesterday. Wth is going on sprint. Come on!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last night I was in Forest Park at one of the drinking establishments on Madison watching the Bears game. I looked at my phone and it was at full bars. I ran a speed test and I clocking in at 1436kbps down and 735kbps up on 3G!

Couldn't believe it! When I got home, literally not even a mile a way I did another speed test and was back to 163kbps down and 44kbps up (sigh).
    Last edited by bearballz72; 08-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.

So go back to the Bar
    sasha likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Yeah I'm on the westside on central ave and I get pretty good 3g until around 3 when the school kids get out then climbs back up a lil after rush hour but thank clear for wimax lol. Hopefully lte is like wimax as terms of coverage because I have wimax almost all over Illinois

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHirt View Post
    So go back to the Bar

lol that's what I should of done!

Anyone else have anymore updates in the chicago area?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

Nothing really to speak of lately... Seems like the dropped calls and such have gone away in the Plainfield area once again... Thats about it... Still no real active LTE around here, the area I reported in Crest Hill must have been under a test phase because I've gone back thru that area numerous times now and no LTE to be found since that day I posted the speedtests.
    Paul

Any lte yet in Rockford and Woodstock?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast