Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Well, it's still pretty bad here in the near west 'burbs. Dropped a couple more calls, but it seems Oak Brook (where I work) is much better than it was. Getting full bars there and the speeds are up to almost 2mbps down on 3G, compared to the Oak Park/ Bewyn area which are still pathetic (and still no 4G). Was also out in the Palatine/Arlington Heights area Saturday and Sunday and it's pretty subpar out there as well.

Was having issues with sending and receiving text messages and when we were out in Yorktown mall the other day I stopped by the kiosk they have there (the BB mobile store there is a joke they had no idea what was wrong with it). While they were taking a look at it I was talking to them about the 4G rollout and the issues I was having.

The guy who was helping me said he lived over by Chicago Ridge mall on the Southside (around 95th and Pulaski I believe) and said he was having the same issues. He said that they were still upgrading the towers in that area and to hold tight for a while longer (not exactly what I wanted to hear).

Good thing is that they resolved the text issue (some sort of error on Sprint's part). It was only going on for a day or two so I wasn't going to make a fuss about it. Plus they were very friendly and helpful.
    Last edited by bearballz72; 09-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Past few days it has gone back to bad again in elgin. Getting really sick of this.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #103  

Ya the texting problem seemed to be affecting many areas here in Chicago.. I've heard they run texting thru certain towers and in the past those towers have had issues while normal data and cellular have worked fine. Texting has seemed to be resolved again recently.

Lets hope for the best on the rest of our problems in Chicago.. September was supposed to be the magic month for them to start completing many of the ongoing upgrades in Chicago...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Ya the texting problem seemed to be affecting many areas here in Chicago.. I've heard they run texting thru certain towers and in the past those towers have had issues while normal data and cellular have worked fine. Texting has seemed to be resolved again recently.

Lets hope for the best on the rest of our problems in Chicago.. September was supposed to be the magic month for them to start completing many of the ongoing upgrades in Chicago...
    Chicago update this week over @S4GRU
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

Bend, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by 541rrhse View Post
    Chicago update this week over @S4GRU
    Everything I can find on that site leads to an October launch now. No longer a September launch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #106  

Yep.. I was thinking September was going to be a long shot. I know they have fallen behind in getting us updated.

I think this whole battle with the legacy vs new equipment handoff has them doubling back on things.. They have to first get the new equipment in place in enough locations before shutting down the legacy equipment so they don't have the handoff problems (dropped calls, data loss, etc..) . This is simply my own observations from reading up on the issues they have ran into here in the Chicago market.

I hope the late September into early October should start showing some real signs of improvement. I've read the current trend seems to be once a market hits around 40-50% completed on the upgrade they usually go official with the launch. Chicago is right at about that mark right now.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    Everything I can find on that site leads to an October launch now. No longer a September launch.

Some have already been reporting LTE connectivity.
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

Bend, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post

Yeah everytime I tried texting someone I would get a message saying [I]wrong destination [/I]code 98. The Sprint rep just called Sprint and they did something in their system and it works fine now.

As for the LTE launch moved to October, I'm not surprised either. I know they've been having issues with the Motorola legacy equipment, but from what I've read on 4sgru my impression was that they've been making pretty steady progress around the area.Unfortunately all that sweet LTE action seems to be concentrated in the Joliet area. Just hoping it starts making it's way up North.

To me it's race to see what comes to my SIII first, LTE or Jellybean. Any wagers anybody lol?
    Last edited by bearballz72; 09-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

sprint has sucked since i got the siii; they have till november to get their act cleaned up; if not im talking my 3 lines elsewhere

i've been working throughout northwest Indiana and have seen LTE consistently in Highland and Merrillville, and certain parts of Munster over the last month.

While I have no idea if that means LTE is getting closer to the Chicago heartland, I am impressed with the technology. Can't rave about the speeds just yet because there is probably light traffic on the network, but the building penetration is pretty good. Generally while on WiMax with the OG Evo and the Evo 3D, I would have "full" 4G signal outside of a building, then simply walk through a doorway and poof, nothing. LTE seems to work just fine indoors.

So anything new or is it still pretty lackluster around the area (except for the Joliet area)? No changes here in the near western burbs, still missing some calls, been telling everyone to either text or leave me a message if I don't answer (sigh).

It really stinks when you're sitting right next to your phone and all of a sudden a voicemail comes up and I'm like "wait, the phone didn't even ring". Updating the PRL and Profile doesn't even help that much anymore. Thinks it's time to call Sprint CS and complain again.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #112  

This was a day ago.. Louis Joliet Mall...

Paul

Still waiting here in Elgin and Algonquin for better service in general. I have been having crackaling noises infrequently on phone calls the past few weeks

Saw this on the Verge this morning. Well, at least Sprint is acknowledging that LTE is coming to the Chicago area in the coming months . Of course no specifics or dates so this announcement could mean next month or January 2013.Guess we'll have to wait and see.

According to a leak over at Engadget, looks like Chicago will be turned on for LTE on the 21st of September. Hope its true.

Thanked by:
    Paul627g likes this.

hope that's true- i'm in lake county which states 9/15!

Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    hope that's true- i'm in lake county which states 9/15!
    Yea but I'm in cook/Kane county. I gotta wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    According to a leak over at Engadget, looks like Chicago will be turned on for LTE on the 21st of September. Hope its true.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #119  

Awesome.. . Great news.. I hope I can actually grab LTE at my house instead of having to drive 10 minutes to Louis Joliet Mall to grab signal.
    Paul

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

i will believe it when i see it; i have a new job and currently work downtown chicago now
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #121  

I hear ya... Well the original date from s4gru.com was September for a roll out so maybe Sprint will make good on this for us.

I just can't wait to enjoy some LTE around town.. Sure I'll be running with a cable attached to my phone to keep it powered up but that's worth it for high speed surfing after years of 100-500 kbps average download speeds
    Paul

RawisTheGameHhH likes this.

Take a look at this...

Chicago will launch with the highest completion percentage. My guess is they are looking for some good press from a major city.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7 tablet.
    Paul627g likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #123  

That is impressive TraderGary... I usually keep tabs on the status but had purposely forced myself to forget about it lately hoping the time would go by quicker

Nice to see Chicago will go official with the highest of all the markets so far.

They owe it to everyone but for the troubles we have had in Chicago during the upgrades its nice to see were getting a little bonus out of it.
    Paul

Can't wait. This will finally complete my nexus experience.

Paul627g likes this.

Well I woke up this morning to surprisingly have the 4g symbol on my phone. Did a speed test and only got 2.5mbps. Here's to it starting.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast