Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Why would they leave the Loop and the actual city until last? That is ridiculous
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's because those are the densest areas to cover. A denser population means that if Sprint gets something wrong, they piss off a ton of people. If they start in the suburbs for practice, they inconvenience a lot fewer people if the towers don't work. So, they save the hardest spots, like the superdense city of Chicago, until they get their methods perfected.

2wyce

May 8, 2011
Visit site
It figures Gary, IN would be last. It wouldn't surprise me if they skipped it all together, like WIMAX.

Sprint service here in the past 3 or 4 months is worse than it's ever been; I can't even stream music reliably or load a web page in under 1 minute. Yes, minute. Even after factory reset. And forget about making a phone call for more than 5 minutes or expecting your phone to ring when someone calls you.

I've been trying to hold out since only Sprint has the features I need/want. I want the SGSIII but I'm not signing another contract until the network actually works and I'm not paying full price for it either. I would get it even if the regular non-LTE network worked, but it doesn't.

Sorry, done with my rant.

I want to stay with you Sprint. Please make that possible!

Get it together Sprint!

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the near west burbs (Oak Park, Berwyn, Forest Park, Cicero).3G speeds are just terrible over here. Also I haven't been receiving calls regularly since late June. So I called Sprint and apparently they are working on the tower I connect to which is on corner of Cermak and Harlem. I did get a credit on my bill because of the issue but who knows when it will be fixed.

Also from what I'm hearing it's not going to be until late July/early August until LTE is suposedly ready to go here.

I work In Oakbrook and the 3G speeds are OK (around 1-1.5mbps up). Not sure what the plan is for the western burbs out in Dupage county.

Last edited:

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I work in downtown Chicago and 3G speeds here just freaking suck! It took me 4 minutes to connect to the Sprint site. SMH..If I'm not using wifi this phone is pretty much just a giant paper weight!:(

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I work in downtown Chicago and 3G speeds here just freaking suck! It took me 4 minutes to connect to the Sprint site. SMH..If I'm not using wifi this phone is pretty much just a giant paper weight!:(

I feel you, but 3G/Wimax have always stunk downtown. Even when I was on AT&T the data quality was terrible.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I spoke with Sprint today because I simply got sick of the dropped calls and lately losing 3g coverage in the south suburbs (Plainfield area). Anyways make the story short... I asked Sprint what they can offer me for the troubles during the Network Vision upgrades?

Ended my conversation with Sprint with very little trouble, $75.00 credited to my account :) They offered a 25% discount on the last two months bills which totaled out to $75.00 for me.

Also they notated my account for option to buyout 2 months early at $50 per line to get my upgrade sooner. Not worth it in my book but its nice they at least offered and noted it to my account.

Lets hope for LTE & improved 3g in Chicago for all very soon :)

Reactions: bearballz72

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty nice deal you got Paul627g. If the situation with me missing calls continues I'm definitely be calling them back. As far as data speeds during the week I'm lucky to clock in at 35kbps in the evening hours at home in Oak Park, just off Roosevelt Rd. I actually just ran a speed test at quarter to 8 on Sunday morning and was surprised I was averaging 350kbps up and 160kbps down. Obviously that will change since it's so early in the morning, and on a Sunday.

Wow your getting dropped calls even out in Plainfield? I occasionally have to drive over to one of the warehouses the company I work for owns In Romeoville for meetings (off Weber road just South of the Stevenson) not too far away from you, and I would get fantastic 3G speeds (almost 2mbps up and great call quality) with my old Evo4G. I haven't tried it with my 4GLTE but I'm scheduled to drive over there at the end of this month. Guess I'll see if it's bad as well.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep even out here in Plainfield we get the dropped calls, missing 3g coverage lately and all the nice crackle crackle crackle on the lines while making a phone call....

Lately the dropped calls is improving and the line noise is almost gone but now were dealing with the on and off 3g coverage which is where I drew the line with Sprint. Just simply told the Sprint CS, theres a point when you have to compensate your customers when you start affecting their calls, 3g coverage, etc.. there is just no excuse.

I was thankful, I had a great rep that handled things with no complaints. He addressed the situation immediately by contacting his manager/supervisor and they got the credit effective even before the call ended.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Damn sexy that's messed up but I work downtown occasionally and this is always my signal I'm getting a sgs3 as soon as lte hits the city

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't honestly see why all of u in or by my area has these terrible signal and speeds I guess I'm lucky lol

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Damn sexy that's messed up but I work downtown occasionally and this is always my signal I'm getting a sgs3 as soon as lte hits the city

I use to have the Original Evo, and I got a pretty good 4g signal in my office so I never paid attention to how slow 3g is. I've called Sprint every other day since Buying this phone on the 3rd of the month they have yet to offer me any kind of compensation guess I'm have to call and demand it! The store I purchased it from did say I can bring it in and exchange it for the samsung s3 since they have no more htc lte's in stock, But if it's just Sprint's suckie network that ain't gonna help me, and I'd sure hate to go back to the old Evo! smh

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't honestly see why all of u in or by my area has these terrible signal and speeds I guess I'm lucky lol

The signal isn't the issue, most people's phone show the same signal strength that they did a year ago.

It's the backend where there is no data throughput and calls get dropped and texts often fail. Essentially the phones can see the towers just fine, just that the data never gets to the network.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Texting has been horrible as of today where they willl come in up to three hours late, if at all. If I toggle airplane mode or make a phone call they all come in at once though.

And my house has always been bad but usable because of the windows, but also as of today it's all 1x or no signal at all, not even roaming.

I'm a realist and not a squeaky wheel by any means. I understand the process that is involved with what they are rolling out but walking past the TMobile store every day makes things pretty difficult, especially with Galaxy Nexus' available directly from Google now at dirt cheap prices.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was told to expect BIG changes within the next couple of days, at least by Monday. Actually, 4G in my hood has been out for a couple of days. I've had to suffer through the slow 3G with my air card, as well as my phone. Towers are being upgraded. We shall see what we shall see.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was told to expect BIG changes within the next couple of days, at least by Monday. Actually, 4G in my hood has been out for a couple of days. I've had to suffer through the slow 3G with my air card, as well as my phone. Towers are being upgraded. We shall see what we shall see.

I sure hope so... This is starting to become all to common again after I just started to see improvements recently..

View attachment 32615

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I really could not care less about data at this point, which has of course been solid for once. I'm missing calls and texts left and right and apparently "everything is fine" in my area.

I can be sitting next to someone on a couch and call them and nothing. Text, nothing. The lack of effort from the techs that I am getting ahold of is completely unacceptable.

I hope nobody dies or there is any other emergency between now and Monday.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep even out here in Plainfield we get the dropped calls, missing 3g coverage lately and all the nice crackle crackle crackle on the lines while making a phone call....

Lately the dropped calls is improving and the line noise is almost gone but now were dealing with the on and off 3g coverage which is where I drew the line with Sprint. Just simply told the Sprint CS, theres a point when you have to compensate your customers when you start affecting their calls, 3g coverage, etc.. there is just no excuse.

I was thankful, I had a great rep that handled things with no complaints. He addressed the situation immediately by contacting his manager/supervisor and they got the credit effective even before the call ended.

You're clocking in faster than me Paul627g. I clocked in last night at 50kbps down, 10kbps up (sigh). Reminds of the days back in the late 90's when I was using AOL and the ole' dial up modem.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You're clocking in faster than me Paul627g. I clocked in last night at 50kbps down, 10kbps up (sigh). Reminds of the days back in the late 90's when I was using AOL and the ole' dial up modem.
Yes I hear you. I'm trying to keep faith in Sprint that they will get this upgrade done locally for us very soon.. I know the original scheduled finish date was somewhere around September for the Chicago market so were coming up on that very soon and I know once they learned of the problems they had switching over from the new services to the older legacy equipment they knew they had to push things harder and faster to get it done here due to the all the problems we are getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21