Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well in some places around the Chicagoland area the speeds are pretty outstanding (look at the speed test I posted earlier). But again it seems like it's hit and miss but I don't think throttling is involved. Seems to me that it's more of a case of Sprint still upgrading the network than anything else.

But we'll see what happens in the next 3-4 months. I would hate to think the 3-5 Mbps is the best Sprint can do.

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm avg 30mb for only 61% complete is a good job imo we all are thinking that just because we are further ahead than other markets we are still not complete yet.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm avg 30mb for only 61% complete is a good job imo we all are thinking that just because we are further ahead than other markets we are still not complete yet.

Nice!
I haven't seen anything over 10mbps since they were in the testing phase back around September or so in the Plainfield area. I would love to get those LTE speeds back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
And I'm in the dense Austin area also so that's a plus

Yeah seems the westside and the near west 'burbs, have had the best speeds. At least from what I've seen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering if anybody has noticed an uptick in LTE coverage and speeds over the last 5 days?

Over the weekend, I noticed better coverage in the western 'burbs. Specifically along 22nd street into western Dupage county. Also I noticed I was getting 4g at my place, which is normally a dead zone for LTE.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish they would bump our speeds back up in the far South burbs.. During testing phases Crest Hill/Plainfield/Joliet, etc had some awesome speeds which I posted early in this thread. Now I'm lucky to see over 5-7 mbps on average using either my Gnex or my wife's SGS III.

Or maybe were just heavily flooded with LTE devices in this area sucking down the bandwidth?

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It can't be congestion already.....

Boy if I was you, my next upgrade would be a Tri-Band LTE phone when they're released....Chicago is gonna need every bit of spectrum Sprint can muster up if Chicago LTE is already feeling the Crunch. Not that a Phone even needs more than 5-10 down.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well considering the Chicagoland area is around 60% complete (not sure how much that number has moved in recent months ), I'm sure there are areas, especially in the city or in far outlying Suburbs, were the coverage is a bit strained.

I still notice up and down speeds quite a bit here in the western burbs. I'm sure when the rollout approaches the 75-80% mark coverage and speeds will improve and stabilise.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Chicagoland is ~80-87% NV completed. ~65% LTE completed.

Well 65% LTE is getting there, more that halfway done. Hopefully when Spring gets here things will start to ramp up. I have noticed better call reception and very rarely do I miss a call or text now.

Btw, here's what I'm pulling down inside the office here in Oak Brook. Normally I was pulling down 3-4mbps. Not blazing fast, but good enough imo.

362512093.png

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Another thing. Sprint already said that speeds are gonna improve but its not gonna be att fast

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Another thing. Sprint already said that speeds are gonna improve but its not gonna be att fast

Doesn't need to be I'll gladly take 5-10 Down with Unlimited as opposed to 40-50 Down with Pricey Data Caps. The Naked Eye can't tell the difference between 5-10 vs. 40-50 down on a Phone anyway. Nor is there any app in world that needs anything over 5-10 down.

40-50 does nothing but provoke the pissing contest on Forums like this.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't need to be I'll gladly take 5-10 Down with Unlimited as opposed to 40-50 Down with Pricey Data Caps. The Naked Eye can't tell the difference between 5-10 vs. 40-50 down on a Phone anyway. Nor is there any app in world that needs anything over 5-10 down.

40-50 does nothing but provoke the pissing contest on Forums like this.

Exactly ill take these unlimited speeds any day haha

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360262115368.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360262115368.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 29

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I was just reading an article on Engadget about Sprint's earnings and I could not believe what I was reading in the comments section.

The hate that some people have for this company is pretty fierce. Guess they rather get jerked around by the big boys than stay with Sprint.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I was just reading an article on Engadget about Sprint's earnings and I could not believe what I was reading in the comments section.

The hate that some people have for this company is pretty fierce. Guess they rather get jerked around by the big boys than stay with Sprint.

The only person I want to jerk me is my woman hahaha NO THANK U BIG RED AND BLUE

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
So it's been awhile since anyone has posted anything on this topic. Is anyone still having issues or has it been all good?

Seems Sprint has upgraded some towers in my area and I'm finally getting a decent LTE signal inside the house. Nothing mind blowing, but I'm somewhere around 6-7mbps.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm still having issues mainly in the downtown South Loop area, heck I barely can keep a 3g signal let alone picking up a lte signal. My phone is still periodically disconnecting itself from the mobile network. I'll admit it's better than it was but nowhere near where it should be!!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe that's your evo cuz I noticed it switched AT THE SPRINT STORE smh lol. My Gnex stays lte by mp and Buckingham fountain not to mention Clark and lake area.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still having issues mainly in the downtown South Loop area, heck I barely can keep a 3g signal let alone picking up a lte signal. My phone is still periodically disconnecting itself from the mobile network. I'll admit it's better than it was but nowhere near where it should be!!

Well Chicago proper is the last major area in which the Network Vision rollout is being upgraded. It's still kind of hit and miss depending on where you live in the city at this point. I would check out Sprint's website and see where you are as far as LTE coverage. If you've been following the rollout, Sprint started in the suburbs and worked their way in. Hopefully by summers end the rollout will for the most part be complete.

Also try updating your PRL and Profile. Go into Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom-->Update phone---> Hit "Update PRL"--->The when the PRL is updated--->Update Profile. That may improve your reception a bit.