Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know. Well aware of the Austin- South Side neighborhood that your from, had family there years ago myself.

That's exactly what we HAD going for us during the test phases... Now the official reality is way under 10 mbps.. :(

Haha Austin out west though bro lol but I still see these speeds on and off more on than off.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is what I'm getting in the south burbs. I was getting that 20-25 Mbps speed back at the end of the summer, but speeds have been in this ~7 Mbps range since the fall.

I'm fine with these speeds, but I was on the southside the other day and the 3G was unusable. I was trying to download a 1.5 MB app for a client and it was literally progressing at 1% every 15 seconds. The client had the OG Evo so no LTE and the WiMax of course was useless as it refused to stay connected. But the LTE speeds were fine on my phone.

Attachments

• 2013-03-26_11-16-11.png
    2013-03-26_11-16-11.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 28

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe next time Verdes see's the local rep he can run this by the rep for future comment.. I already called Sprint and talked to a few CS and naturally all I got was " LTE is active and working in your area ". That's all they are concerned with, not that the speeds we get aren't anywhere near AT&T or Verizon LTE speeds.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe next time Verdes see's the local rep he can run this by the rep for future comment.. I already called Sprint and talked to a few CS and naturally all I got was " LTE is active and working in your area ". That's all they are concerned with, not that the speeds we get aren't anywhere near AT&T or Verizon LTE speeds.

Funny thing it was because I made a comment about how the speeds do not compare to that of att or Verizon. That's when he told me about the spectrum and the comparisons of the freeway lanes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well at least someone is acknowledging it ;) Now lets hope for the better when the whole US Cellular thing takes place.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Sprint never advertised that their network would match the maximum speeds of Verizon and AT&T. They can't. They're using a 5x5MHz carrier setup. That means 5MHz of spectrum download bandwidth, 5MHz upload bandwidth. Verizon and AT&T are using 10x10MHz setups. They can push 2x more bandwidth per tower. The thing is, both companies are only installing LTE on a fraction of their towers, whereas Sprint is installing it on all towers. Coupled with the fact that Sprint's network is denser than the others' to begin with, that means that Verizon and AT&T's towers will become overloaded much more quickly than Sprint's towers, which will cause a much bigger speed drop for VZW and AT&T customers as 4G use increases, especially during peak hours. Meanwhile, Sprint's LTE speeds should be stable throughout the day, especially when they get the extra spectrum in Chicago. So, during off hours, Sprint's speeds may not match VZW or AT&T, but during peak hours, speeds should be comparable.

Sprint's LTE network isn't being built to be the fastest. It's being built to be stable and reliable, with consistent speeds at all hours. It's being built to support many customers and provide a consistent experience for all customers. As has been said, speeds will get better after the spectrum sale, but even then, the biggest improvement will be consistency.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what I been telling countless sprint haters on other companies bro lol. During peak hours my gf incredible 4g and my Gnex has similar speeds. Even during late night hours our speeds are comparable somewhat.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I think the reason people are so down on Sprint is because the NV rollout isn't going as fast as people would like. I can't really blame someone who bought an LTE enabled phone this past summer, and is still waiting for LTE to come to their area and is thinking of jumping ship. If I was in that position I would be thinking about it to. Especially with T-mobile making all these announcements of new plans and new LTE rollouts of their own. Then of course you have AT&T and Verizon.

We're pretty lucky Chicagoland was one the first big metro areas in the country to get lit up first. It's not perfect, as we've all experienced at some point or another in the last 6 months. But we have it much better than some other areas of the country.

Sprint really needs to get out there and explain to current and potential customers what's going on and how Network Vision is going to be superior. I listen to all the mobile podcasts on The Verge, Engadget and here on AC and even those people are kind of unsure of what's going with Sprint at this point, because Sprint's not really saying anything about how the rollout is proceeding.

I did see a small blurb on the NBC local news this past week about Sprint's buyout of U.S. Cellular's midwest territories. I guess the service shutoff for Chicago area customers is coming up pretty soon and USC stores around the area are telling customers to hold off upgrading until they hear something from them.

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If I was in that position I would be thinking about it to. Especially with T-mobile making all these announcements of new plans and new LTE rollouts of their own.

Really? So you would jump from a company that made announcements well over a year ago and is well into the deployment stage, to another company that is just now making announcements? Wow.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Really? So you would jump from a company that made announcements well over a year ago and is well into the deployment stage, to another company that is just now making announcements? Wow.

I'm not saying I would jump to T-mobile neccesarily, but I would take a long hard look at all 3 networks. Look, hypothetically if I bought a GS3 when it launched here in the U.S. in May or June of 2013 and I'm still creeping along on Sprint's 3G network at 150-200 kbps I would be frustrated. Especially if I had no idea when Sprint will be rolling out LTE in my neck of the woods.

I like where Sprint is going and have no plans of jumping ship. But again you have to look at this from both sides.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I like where Sprint is going and have no plans of jumping ship. But again you have to look at this from both sides.

Agreed. The reason I'm with Sprint is because other providers are going to need to do similar upgrades eventually as well. With Sprint's spectrum holdings (clearwire, but especially the old iden bands) and Network vision, they will be the most future proofed network.

I also have LTE already, so I recognize that is definitely something that makes the decision easier.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The reason I'm with Sprint is because other providers are going to need to do similar upgrades eventually as well. With Sprint's spectrum holdings (clearwire, but especially the old iden bands) and Network vision, they will be the most future proofed network.

I also have LTE already, so I recognize that is definitely something that makes the decision easier.

Agreed. But if u have wimax like we did the wait was a lil easier other than the dropped calles during the early nv stages.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am just being patient since I am seeing LTE more and more around Jacksonville. I'd say majority of the places I go (friends houses, my house, etc) have LTE now even though we aren't launched yet. I just wish I had it at my work :p lol.

But I have been testing out the 4g a bunch as you can see below :). (the below pic is with 8 days left in this billing cycle)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364826185103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364826185103.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 18

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard any news on when the Softbank/Sprint merger is supposed to be finalized?

Ever since the DoJ put the brakes on the merger because of concerns of security regarding the government and military. I haven't heard anything.

Would be great if they could get this done so Sprint could get some cash and ramp up the deployment.

Sick of all the haters chiming in on how bad "Sprint sucks" every time a piece of news regarding Sprint is posted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
It will continue to happen regardless of the merger. They have announced they won't use Huawei equipment, so that sped it up a little. Softbank is already giving Sprint money to finish NV, but it will take a while for people to stop hating. It has nothing to do with actual network conditions. Just go read their Facebook page. People love to hate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08