Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Looking to upgrade to either SGSIII or HTC EVO 4G LTE in the next month or two. I know Chicagoland area has been in the process of the LTE upgrade for the last month or two, has anyone with a Sprint GNex or now the HTC EVO 4G LTE tried to see if LTE is live in Chicago or the suburbs yet?
    Paul
    Moderator @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I'll find out tomorrow... Driving through on the way to visit family in WI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I'd tentatively say no for LTE being active in Chicago, at least based on what I saw on the Chicago Loop. If nothing else it still said 3G when I had LTE/CDMA turned on. :screwy:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Not from what I can tell. Nothing but 3g at its slowest....another month or two before we start seeing areas go live.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I'm out here in yorkville, 40 miles from downtown Chicago and I have 4g LTE here.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default Re: Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I'm out here in yorkville, 40 miles from downtown Chicago and I have 4g LTE here.

Good news to hear! I'm in Plainfield so I'm literally a few miles from you so its a good chance might have LTE here then too...

I know the scheduled LTE upgrade had them starting down around the Kankakee area and moving Northbound with some hop scotch being played once they got into the major suburbs.

@All thanks for the input!
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post

What kind of speeds are you seeing and can you post a screenshot?

I'm in Highland In and I'm picking up LTE 3 speed tests I did had speeds of 12, 16, and 22mbps.

Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?-uploadfromtaptalk1338214795876.jpg

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Eckono34 View Post
    I'm in Highland In and I'm picking up LTE 3 speed tests I did had speeds of 12, 16, and 22mbps.

Nice! Not bad speeds at all when considering what we had for WiMax..

I figured Highland, Indiana would be lit up, they confirmed it was done very fast back a few months ago. Indiana isn't as heavily saturated with 1000's of towers as Chicago and the burbs, but its nice to see they got it done fast for the Hoosier's

Again thanks for the input!
    Paul

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Out here in yorkville 9.76 up 120 down has been my best.

No LTE here in the loop. Not yet anyway.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by upatnite2 View Post
    No LTE here in the loop. Not yet anyway.
    Hear ya... Thanks for reporting in...

I know they are playing a nasty game of hop scotch from the map I saw on their time tables of where they are upgrading... They jump from southern burbs around Joliet, to up north then back south and in between... All screwed up, but I guess there must be a method to the madness
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Hear ya... Thanks for reporting in...

I know they are playing a nasty game of hop scotch from the map I saw on their time tables of where they are upgrading... They jump from southern burbs around Joliet, to up north then back south and in between... All screwed up, but I guess there must be a method to the madness
    Please share that map!

Quote Originally Posted by Eckono34 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338214795876.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	26475

Wow those speeds are not bad at all for LTE, on Average LTE is about 10-20 mbps so 22.67 isnt bad at all

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Current phone im using: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Here is a list of the remaining clusters in Chicagoland area if they are still sticking to this format that was laid out some time ago...

As you can see they are jumping back and forth all over Chicagoland area...

The remaining clusters to be deployed:

June Clusters

Schaumburg/Elk Grove Village
    Aurora
    Valparaiso/Portage/Michigan City, Indiana
    Crown Point, Indiana/Chicago Heights, Illinois
    Gurnee
    McHenry/Woodstock
    St. Charles/DeKalb
    Freeport
    Ottawa/Peru/LaSalle/Princeton I-80 Corridor

July Clusters

Rockford/Harvard
    Palatine/Arlington Heights
    South Chicago
    Tinley Park/Orland Park
    Cicero/Berwyn/Brookfield
    Oak Park/Maywood
    Wheaton/West Chicago
    Crystal Lake
    Whiting/East Chicago, Indiana

August Clusters

Streamwood/Elgin (east of the river)
    Glenview/Niles
    Harwood Heights/Northwest Chicago (city)

Septemeber Clusters

The Loop/Downtown Chicago
    Remainder of Urban Chicago
    Oak Lawn
    Des Plaines/O'Hare
    Northbrook/Glenview/Wheeling
    Highland Park/Deerfield
    Lake Forest/Mundelein
    Plainfield/Homer Glen
    Gary, Indiana

Each triangle/color represents a different cluster.. They say there is over 1100 clusters in Chicagoland area to cover making it one of the biggest in the US to upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?-chicago_lte_clusters.jpg  
    Paul

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by coinmanmat View Post
    Wow those speeds are not bad at all for LTE, on Average LTE is about 10-20 mbps so 22.67 isnt bad at all

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Just a word of caution -- don't expect the blazing speeds (ie 22 mbps) to hold up when network traffic grows. On my Verizon Thunderbolt, I started off getting 15-20 when LTE was brand new in Chicago, and was down to 5-8 six months later...

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted)

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

5 - 8 mbps would be quite an improvement over the 50 kbps that I am currently getting!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Paul627g, Samsmalls and egjream like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Here is a list of the remaining clusters in Chicagoland area if they are still sticking to this format that was laid out some time ago...

As you can see they are jumping back and forth all over Chicagoland area...

The remaining clusters to be deployed:

June Clusters

Schaumburg/Elk Grove Village
    Aurora
    Valparaiso/Portage/Michigan City, Indiana
    Crown Point, Indiana/Chicago Heights, Illinois
    Gurnee
    McHenry/Woodstock
    St. Charles/DeKalb
    Freeport
    Ottawa/Peru/LaSalle/Princeton I-80 Corridor

July Clusters

Rockford/Harvard
    Palatine/Arlington Heights
    South Chicago
    Tinley Park/Orland Park
    Cicero/Berwyn/Brookfield
    Oak Park/Maywood
    Wheaton/West Chicago
    Crystal Lake
    Whiting/East Chicago, Indiana

August Clusters

Streamwood/Elgin (east of the river)
    Glenview/Niles
    Harwood Heights/Northwest Chicago (city)

Septemeber Clusters

The Loop/Downtown Chicago
    Remainder of Urban Chicago
    Oak Lawn
    Des Plaines/O'Hare
    Northbrook/Glenview/Wheeling
    Highland Park/Deerfield
    Lake Forest/Mundelein
    Plainfield/Homer Glen
    Gary, Indiana

Each triangle/color represents a different cluster.. They say there is over 1100 clusters in Chicagoland area to cover making it one of the biggest in the US to upgrade.

Click to view quoted image
    Well at least i dont have to wait too long for me to get LTE capability here in Elgin.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Note 4

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Why would they leave the Loop and the actual city until last? That is ridiculous

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    Why would they leave the Loop and the actual city until last? That is ridiculous
    It's because those are the densest areas to cover. A denser population means that if Sprint gets something wrong, they **** off a ton of people. If they start in the suburbs for practice, they inconvenience a lot fewer people if the towers don't work. So, they save the hardest spots, like the superdense city of Chicago, until they get their methods perfected.

ROM
    NS4G->JB4.1; SGS2->Stock

It figures Gary, IN would be last. It wouldn't surprise me if they skipped it all together, like WIMAX.

Sprint service here in the past 3 or 4 months is worse than it's ever been; I can't even stream music reliably or load a web page in under 1 minute. Yes, minute. Even after factory reset. And forget about making a phone call for more than 5 minutes or expecting your phone to ring when someone calls you.

I've been trying to hold out since only Sprint has the features I need/want. I want the SGSIII but I'm not signing another contract until the network actually works and I'm not paying full price for it either. I would get it even if the regular non-LTE network worked, but it doesn't.

Sorry, done with my rant.

I want to stay with you Sprint. Please make that possible!

Get it together Sprint!

I'm in the near west burbs (Oak Park, Berwyn, Forest Park, Cicero).3G speeds are just terrible over here. Also I haven't been receiving calls regularly since late June. So I called Sprint and apparently they are working on the tower I connect to which is on corner of Cermak and Harlem. I did get a credit on my bill because of the issue but who knows when it will be fixed.

Also from what I'm hearing it's not going to be until late July/early August until LTE is suposedly ready to go here.

I work In Oakbrook and the 3G speeds are OK (around 1-1.5mbps up). Not sure what the plan is for the western burbs out in Dupage county.

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts

Well I work in downtown Chicago and 3G speeds here just freaking suck! It took me 4 minutes to connect to the Sprint site. SMH..If I'm not using wifi this phone is pretty much just a giant paper weight!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Well I work in downtown Chicago and 3G speeds here just freaking suck! It took me 4 minutes to connect to the Sprint site. SMH..If I'm not using wifi this phone is pretty much just a giant paper weight!

I feel you, but 3G/Wimax have always stunk downtown. Even when I was on AT&T the data quality was terrible.
Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast