Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By prolongExistence
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Insurance questions

2 questions:

1. I removed the insurance from my OG EVO and of course after having the phone for 3 years with no issues I broke the screen several days later. I'm also having serious issues with charging the phone...somethings up with that port. So my question is, can I reinstate the insurance now that I have all these problems needing to be fixed?

2. I recently cancelled my preorder for the new EVO on Wirefly, but noticed that their insurance is much more reasonably priced. I have now pre ordered the S3, but can I get my insurance from WF instead?

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Insurance questions

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    2 questions:

1. I removed the insurance from my OG EVO and of course after having the phone for 3 years with no issues I broke the screen several days later. I'm also having serious issues with charging the phone...somethings up with that port. So my question is, can I reinstate the insurance now that I have all these problems needing to be fixed?

2. I recently cancelled my preorder for the new EVO on Wirefly, but noticed that their insurance is much more reasonably priced. I have now pre ordered the S3, but can I get my insurance from WF instead?
    1) After the first 30 days you can not add/readd the insurance to the phone. So you are stuck with what you got no that you have removed it. But if you look on web sites like swappa or ebay you can pick up an OG Evo for prolly like $100 anyways.

2) You can use WF insurance if you buy the phone from them. As far as I know thats how it works. The same can be said about Best Buy and other retailers alike.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy the new SIII. I am doing the same but on ATT's network instead!
    Thanked by:

Wirefly's insurance may be cheaper but its probably not as convenient as Sprints TEP. I'm assuming that with Wirefly (or any other 3rd party insurance), if you break your phone, you have to ship it to them & wait for them to fix/replace it & send it to you. Obviously that will take a few days. With Sprint, you just go to any Sprint repair store and they fix/replace it on site. Also, look and see how much the deductible is for Wirefly. For Sprint TEP, it is $0.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

Sprint to change TEP fee, read here,
    http://m.engadget.com/2012/06/08/spr...eng_latest_art

sent from my Evo4LTE

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    So..... $100+ deductible for replacing the HTC EVO LTE through Sprint TEP? That isn't worth keeping the insurance if you have to pay the monthly fee on top of that.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by TabletNewb View Post
    So..... $100+ deductible for replacing the HTC EVO LTE through Sprint TEP? That isn't worth keeping the insurance if you have to pay the monthly fee on top of that.
    Yup! A lot of people like Best Buy's coverage. I would look into them. I am when I pick up my SIII this month.

From my experience over the past 15 years or so as a Sprint->Nextel->Sprint customer, if you call Assurion (the Sprint insurance people) to have your device replaced they will charge you a deductible. But, if you go to a Sprint Repair store to have your device fixed, they will either fix or replace it with NO deductible. Now of course, if you lose your device then you obviously can't bring it into a Sprint store and you will be stuck with the deductible.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)

jerseygirl likes this.

Shoot, on my 3D I don't have insurance, my screen was messed up so I went into a sprint store and they replaced it for $35. They said that wouldn't work with water damage, but that still seems the smart play for me.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

IMO, turn around time is more important than saving a few bucks. Seems to me that any of the 3rd party vendors are going to make you ship your broken phone to them so they can say "Yup, its broken" and then send you back a replacement. That's obviously going to take a few days and what are you supposed to do in the mean time for all your communication needs? I would much rather take the 20 minute drive to Sprint, drop off my broken device, go next door for lunch and then come back & pick up my replacement.

We got Best Buy insurance on my wife's Evo 4G. When it started dropping calls they had to order a replacement and gave us an old Android phone they had laying around to use until the replacement came in. It was a piece of s*** and so different from the Evo she had trouble using it. When the replacement finally came in, it was DOA and they had to send away for another one. We were not happy campers.

Just preordered a new Galaxy S3 from Sprint and bought Sprint insurance for it.

Quote Originally Posted by walterwood44 View Post
    We got Best Buy insurance on my wife's Evo 4G. When it started dropping calls they had to order a replacement and gave us an old Android phone they had laying around to use until the replacement came in. It was a piece of s*** and so different from the Evo she had trouble using it. When the replacement finally came in, it was DOA and they had to send away for another one. We were not happy campers.

Just preordered a new Galaxy S3 from Sprint and bought Sprint insurance for it.
    Glad you explained that about best buy,I was told they always give a new phone if yours is broken. I also have Sprint insurance the only thing I do know is thar Sprint won't give you a user phone if yours is broken and your on your own if you send yours back for repair.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    Glad you explained that about best buy,I was told they always give a new phone if yours is broken. I also have Sprint insurance the only thing I do know is thar Sprint won't give you a user phone if yours is broken and your on your own if you send yours back for repair.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    That may be true, but why go through the hassle of mailing your phone somewhere? Unless there are no sprint repair stores near you, that's a waste of time & money. If you mail your phone to Assurion then you have to pay a deductible. At a repair store, there is no deductible & they give you a replacement on the spot. Or, if they don't happen to have any in stock then they will ship 1 to you which, in my experience, takes 1 day.