Sprint v. Verizon

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
For all of you asking the questions of Verizon v. Sprint, I took the time to go down to one of the Verizon stores and compare the speeds of my HTC Evo to the speeds of the HTC Incredible.

Now, both networks have great voice quality and text messages are reliable, so data is really the question here. I think Verizon has the upper hand in coverage (fact) and building penetration (yes, I used that word).

Let me first say that these results made me very happy, as I cannot stand Verizon's "cockyness" and overpriced plans. They may be the largest network, but they are surely not the best. I will say that the upload speeds on Verizon are consistently better, but not by much. I attempted to upload some files to my facebook and Sprint's network took about a second or two longer. However, the internet loading speeds were very different. I can get Android Central on Opera Mini to load in 10 seconds (not the mobile site) on my Evo, Incredible took almost double that amount of time with the same browser. With Dolphin HD, it took about 25 seconds on my Evo and about 37 seconds on Incredible.

These are results from the two different stores we have in my city.

When I go traveling, I will post more of my results, which are usually higher than what most review websites claim Sprint to be.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
For all of you asking the questions of Verizon v. Sprint, I took the time to go down to one of the Verizon stores and compare the speeds of my HTC Evo to the speeds of the HTC Incredible.

Now, both networks have great voice quality and text messages are reliable, so data is really the question here. I think Verizon has the upper hand in coverage (fact) and building penetration (yes, I used that word).

Let me first say that these results made me very happy, as I cannot stand Verizon's "cockyness" and overpriced plans. They may be the largest network, but they are surely not the best. I will say that the upload speeds on Verizon are consistently better, but not by much. I attempted to upload some files to my facebook and Sprint's network took about a second or two longer. However, the internet loading speeds were very different. I can get Android Central on Opera Mini to load in 10 seconds (not the mobile site) on my Evo, Incredible took almost double that amount of time with the same browser. With Dolphin HD, it took about 25 seconds on my Evo and about 37 seconds on Incredible.

These are results from the two different stores we have in my city.

When I go traveling, I will post more of my results, which are usually higher than what most review websites claim Sprint to be.

That depends on where you live and travel. Where I live and travel Sprint has been just as good as VZW. I had VZW until I switched to sprint 4 months ago.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have both carriers and have pretty much concluded the same thing just about everywhere I travel. However, I'm not exactly complaining how slow things are when I am using my Verizon phone.

Edit: For example, I just ran 2 tests in downtown Seattle.

androidcentral: Sprint loaded 8 seconds faster than Verizon.

engadget: Sprint loaded 13 seconds faster than Verizon.

Last edited:

slipdisc

Jun 3, 2010
www.phat1.com
I am using Sprint in central Indiana. This is typical speeds for me during the day. I normally get a little faster in the evening 1500/900kbps.

snap20100616_141332.png

I am more than happy with the service and coverage here. Been a Sprint Customer for over 10 years.

A lot depends on where you will be using the device and, where your travels take you. ymmv.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems as if Sprint has excellent results from everyone. I only took these tests because it seems as if everywhere I go, when people think "Verizon" they think "the best thing since sliced bread."

When, frankly, it is simply not the case.

And to address the comment above, I was speaking nationally. Verizon has the largest network.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon does have largest network but Sprint has the best roaming agreements and can also roam on Verizon. They also roam 3G in Altell areas.

Sprint has 4G now, cheaper plans (even with EVO tax) and will likely stick with unlimited. Verizon is looking to get rid of unlimited. VZW has already said 4G will be available as buckets of data with no unlimited option. The $10 EVO tax is suddenly looking better.

Sprint used to have serious customer support issues but they are now more often considered above average. Verizon still rates higher for customer support in analyst reports.

I'd only go with VZW if not living/working in a solid Sprint area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34