4G info for those in Tampa,FL

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Im getting a 4G signal in Palm Harbor 34683. There is a tower right on US 19 and it has to be a Sprint tower. Same issue with obtaining an IP address. Maybe they have MAC filtering on for testing. I heard you can do that with Wimax, correct me if im wrong.
If you use Sensorly to map where you are getting 4G signals, everyone can see your results on the compiled map. Look at the results around Palm Valley, Jacksonville, Orange Park, Lakeside, etc.

slimshady

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Im in clearwater turned on 4g says scanning then said 4g available 4g icon poped up in upper left corner then said abtaining sprint ip address or something like that then back to scanning and thats it weird

Feech

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I work over near the St Pete/Clearwater airport. As of right now I am not seeing any 4G, just scanning. On my way home though over the last week or so I am obtaining a IP address over 4G, that is between the airport and Pinellas Park using 49th st.

In downtown Tampa two weeks ago my EVO just scanned, no IP obtaining..

I am curious too as to what the coverage area will be for Tampa Bay. As someone said before Tampa Bay can be a very broad term used for several counties..If using the current Sprint 3G covergae map as a guide, the Tampa area would be as North as Holiday South as St Pete and as East as maybe Lakeland..

Last edited:

Feech

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
OK just a update..I was getting my oil changed in Clearwater today. As I sat waiting I decided to fire up the 4G radio to test..Guess what? It worked. Sweet sweet 4G. My speeds inside the dealer were about 2.3M but outside is where it shined..about 4.3M constant.

Heres the bad part. I thought that I would have a good blanket of coverage. It went as far south as the Super Walmart at US-19 and Gandy. It might go further south but I didn't have a need to go that far south so I don't know. It went as far north as Brian Dairy rd. Thats where the connection seemed to get weak and eventually lost. I have no idea how far East or West the signal went but if I had to guess it doesn't go very far East because I was going to 66th which is about 3 miles. I have some driving around to do so I will report back later. It was awesome while it lasted btw

Feech

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually started a Google map with where I have found 4G in Pinellas co and Hillsborough Co since Sat. Its very basic but if you guys want to contribute to it others may find it helpful and maybe try to see exactly visually see what Sprint is doing with coverage

shibumi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
You got me all excited when I read the WiMax post on AC today and saw Seminole listed in the comments!! :p

Unfortunately, I'm not getting it here at the house (Seminole - right next to Boca Ciega Millennium park). My 3G signal ranges from 1 to 3 bars, so I wasn't holding out much hope.

My wife works near Bryan Dairy and Park Street, but she's not picking up 4G either.

Hey - at least we'll get Froyo tomorrow, so I'll be happy about that and keep waiting for 4G!

BTW, Is leaving 4G on all the time a battery killer if I'm 90% of the time connected to wifi??

Feech

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh and yes it seems like I only got about 4 hours out of the battery with the 4G on. To be more specific I was at the Seminole Mall at the Super Buffet..if you know that area