Sprint just gave me a free GNex (no upgrade or new contract requi

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The short version is they botched an eqipment replacement so badly that they decided to just give me an in-stock new phone. The long version appears below. I don't intend this post to brag or to bash Sprint. I just thought I'd share my experiences in case it can help anyone else.

The touchscreen started acting up on my Evo 3D about 2 weeks ago. I was getting phantom touches when I applied any amount of pressure to a certain area. I brought it to the Sprint store (still under warrenty and with a protection plan). And they ordered me a replacement. Unfortunately replacement Evo 3D's are on backorder so it took a week to arrive. Once it arrived the store techs had problems activating it. They were getting errors and had to build my profile manually. They got the voice connection working but not the data. They told me the network currently had a backlog on data activations and it should start working in a couple of hours.

It didn't.

I called the 800 number twice and both techs also couldn't get it activated. Eventually they told me to being it back to the store. When I brought it back they tested it and basically said the replacement was broken, and I needed to get a 2nd replacement. So they ordered me another one. Surprisingly it arrived the next day. (I thought they were on backorder; that should have been my first clue.) When I went to pick it up, it was the wrong phone. I don't know if it was ordered incorrectly or if they just shipped the wrong thing, but they had a flip feature phone with my name on it. The store manager said they would have to place a 3rd order for a replacement phone.

NO GOOD!

Eventally he apologized and went to look to see if they had a new Evo 3D that he could give me. Of course they didn't since they don't sell them anymore. Then he said I could have a new model and offered me a GS2. I told him that I wasn't interested because I don't like TouchWiz. He said that he wished he could offer me a Evo LTE, but he couldn't. I said what about a GNex. He told me that he wasn't normally supposed to but since the Evo 3D's are on backorder he had some extra flexibility, and he got it done.

So after not having a working phone for almost 2 weeks, I was finally offered a free GNex; no upgrade, no contract extension, a new GNex free and clear. (I still have a year left on my current contract.)

Just when I was about to give up on Sprint's customer service they came through! :)

Reactions: Downtown Taco

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint just gave me a free GNex (no upgrade or new contract r

Hmmmmm. I have been constantly having problems with my e4gt, they sent me two replacements already, so I wonder if can get a similar deal when I complain about this replacement . I am really not interested in the gnex but it is lte ready so.... Hmmmmmm

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't count on that happening. The OP's situation was pretty unique and certainly not an everyday occurrence (the phone, the order issues, lucking out on three manager, etc).

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

I also wouldn't count on that happening. The OP's luck was situational. In store's we have a little bit of flexability for things like that. Especially in a repair center. Things like the OP experienced are not that common. At least at the two stores I work between. Granted I am at a preferred retailer not a corp store. I do know the corp store here is crap though.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The lucky part was getting the GNex..... last year I had taking the evo 4g that was on another line when my kid upgraded to the 3d....he had already had to have the 4g replaced a couple time due to HDMI port, headphone jack and screen cracking(twice)... I had an optimus and figured I'd use the 4g til my upgrade (which is next month)....... first thing I did was bring it in to have it looked at because it had a lot of dust under the screen, which Sprint was willing to replace the whole phone....of course I asked to make sure it had the old bootloader because of the issues with the new bootloader.....well, I got stuck with the gb update.....no more root....I was peeved .....then I had all sorts of issues with data and call connectivity .....after another replacement(that makes 5 total), I called retentions and explained my angst. They apologized for my problems and offered up a comparable phone, either an epic 4g or my wonderful ns4g......took the ns4g before she could finish her sentence. Don't plan on going back to HTC anytime soon and haven't had one issue with my ns4g(this includes dropping at least 4 or 5 times a week).....and that 3d? My kid sold it and bought a ns4g a few months ago.....

Point is that if you have enough REAL issues, and have to have it replaced enough, sprint will find a way to ease your worries.....at least they have for me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc