Any more info on Walmart putting 4g towers on their properties?

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
My job has a 4g tower and I work at McDonalds. I know the parking lot right next to us does too. Or thats the place its coming from. Its an albertsons parking lot. My 4g sucks **** though. I struggled to get more than 1mbps out of it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd attempt to use full sentences and proper grammar if you expect responses.

I am not sure.

Per the forum rules, that is not an acceptable way to speak to other members in the forum, nor does it add any value to the discussion. Please refrain from making posts like this.

Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Make relevant, meaningful posts - Every post on the Android Central forums should add some sort of value to the forum, whether through technical value or community value. Threads and posts that do not further the Android community will be locked or deleted at the discretion of the moderators.

Cory

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My job has a 4g tower and I work at McDonalds. I know the parking lot right next to us does too. Or thats the place its coming from. Its an albertsons parking lot. My 4g sucks **** though. I struggled to get more than 1mbps out of it.

Some Radio Shack stores installed WiMax repeaters just for the EVO launch... I don't know how much value Walmart, McDonalds or any business would have adding WiMax antennas... It wouldn't make me go to any one of those places any more or less than I do now....

Maybe if they added them at the mall so while I am sitting on that bench waiting for my wife and two daughters to finish getting their hair done, trying on cloths or just roaming around I would get some fast internet use.... WiMax is just horrible at penetrating buildings so typically once your inside a good structure your not going to get a great signal.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I could see Walmart wanting one so that they don't have to have many WiFi routers installed throughout their sprawled stores. One big 4G hotspot would do it.

WiMAX at 2.5Ghz is not as good with penetrating buildings (compared to say 800Mhz) if the site is at a distance but it has no issues if near a site or if using MIMO antennas. I have a WiMAX site 2 blocks or so from me and can get 4G signal deep in my concrete condo building.

Higher freq can penetrate buildings but not as well. Takes more sites than at lower freq. Problem with lower freq is that it has significant interference if trying to do high speeds. So they both have tradeoffs.

msw323

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Walmart was not in talks with Clear to add repeaters inside their stores. The talks were originally for them to add full 4g towers on the rooftops of Walmarts so that Sprint /Clear would have coverage quickly to many locations. Since most areas have Walmarts, it made good sense to deploy 4G quickly to many markets. I don't know where these talks have led, but am assuming that nothing has happened recently or we would have heard about it.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Walmart was not in talks with Clear to add repeaters inside their stores. The talks were originally for them to add full 4g towers on the rooftops of Walmarts so that Sprint /Clear would have coverage quickly to many locations. Since most areas have Walmarts, it made good sense to deploy 4G quickly to many markets. I don't know where these talks have led, but am assuming that nothing has happened recently or we would have heard about it.

the problem would be that the roof of a walmart isn't really high enough to make it economical...plus they need fiber for the T1 lines.

as it stands, going on existing Sprint sites IS the fastest and most economical way to add a 4G site to any area.:cool: