Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread

Speed test this morning in Marietta, GA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-screenshot_2012-07-15-10-08-28.jpg  

While driving to Whole Foods I found 4G at Sugar Loaf and Peachtree Industrial.

HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1342376533071.jpg  

Try this for people that keep toggling between 4G and 3G:

I think I have figured out how to get LTE+CDMA only on the S3, so that when you have a 1-2 bar 4G signal the phone doesn't automatically go into a full bar 3G mode as a preference. I know this may kill the battery somewhat faster, but I for one would prefer a 1-2 bar 4G signal that is faster than a full bar 3G signal. I went into ##3282## >> Edit >> Put in MSL >> eHRPD >> eHRPD off. You should now not be able to connect to a 3G signal at all. This is just a hunch though. I get good 4G at my house, so until I go out again, I won't be able to thoroughly test my theory.

I think the phone is too quickly changing a 1-2 bar 4G signal back to full bar 3G probably to conserve battery. I think this might be a work around for it. Test it out and let me know if that fixes it.

Sitting on a bench in the middle of The Mall of Georgia.

GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1342382798645.jpg

HTC EVO 4G LTE

I'm back home in Loganville. I've got very fast WiFi, 24 Mbps, and an Airave for voice, so I do have superb service.

But I really do want to see my EVO connect to LTE when out and about in the loganville area.

The Sprint map says I should have it, so I guess I must be patient.

HTC EVO 4G LTE
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Master of Time and Space

Still normal 3G here in the Boonies (Winder/Statham area).
    I will see how it is in the AM at work in Norcross.

Mav.

Sent with Apple's permission on my Galaxy Nexus.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

In Marietta. I know only like 40% of towers are active so I am just being patient. Just switched from Verizon and had a 3G phone from them. So far sprints 3G was outshining Verizons in my area. Plus the price difference. Verizon for a single line I was paying $125/month being I had to get a 900 minute plan to get the 5 friends and family because I think verizon is the only company now that does not offer unlimited mobile to mobile to any carrier and my family does not have verizon. With Sprint 450 plan with unlimited data and a nice 19% discount I am payin about $70 a month...A big difference in price for the same features...I know verizon's 4g speeds are faster...but what are you doing on a phone that you need that much speed? Anyways, 4g signal off/on right now but when I am on here is a screenshot of my speeds. Much higher than advertised and higher speeds than my Xfinity home internet speeds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-screenshot_2012-07-16-06-05-49.jpg  

It looks like they are turning it on in all the cities/suburbs around Atlanta but not really in the city of Atlanta. I work on MARTA and have been everywhere from fivepoints to northsprings to Doraville and still no 4G signal.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I came across this forum when looking for the 4g LTE status in the Atlanta area.

Like Most of you I woke up on Sunday as if it was Christmas! Looked at my phone and no 4g.
    Understandable being that I live in Dallas GA - Near Allatoona Lake and Acworth and I was never able to get WiMax there either.

So I decided to drive around a bit. Acworth off of 75 near exit 277 NOTHING - exit 273 Wade Green NOTHING, Got to Chastain Rd Exit "hold on" we have 4G but for only 5 seconds so I couldn't test. Surely when I hit Barrett Parkway it should be heaven right? NOPE NOTHING NADA. drive down Barrett and back UP Cobb Pkwy back to Acworth/ Dallas area and Nothing.

I figured maybe it wasn't finished being rolled out yet or what have you. I thought It will definitely be available in Atlanta at work today (7.16.2012) from exit 278 Glade road down to the Paces Road exit by the huge church was 0 zilch LTE 4G service right past it I got 4G for a quick minute enough to run a speed test BAM! 18.31 down 12.99 up WOO WHO! i thought. But I get to work (in the Druid Hills/ Buford Hwy area) and Nothing!!

I pull up the new coverage map (updated 7.15.2012) and I am supposed to be blanketed with LTE service, and not just here at work but everywhere I listed above with the exception of my home (which im ok with I use my wifi at the house)

So I have said all of this to say/ask:

I have an EVO LTE device and I haven't had any consistent 4G connection in the Heart of ATL today (7.16.2012) has anyone else that works/lives in the areas I have described have a galaxy S3 and it DOES work or an EVO even. It seems like folks that are getting good or great speeds have S3's

Anyway I thought I'd point that out.

I live in Tucker and work in Buckhead..... No sign of 4G yet on my EVO 4G LTE !!!!! .... I'm dissapointed !
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Master of Time and Space

Still nothing for me at work in Norcross.
    The first round is only around 40% of the towers being activated so we just need to be a little patient for a bit.
    As more and more towers come online, we will start to see it (hopefully) everywhere we go.

At least we know it is on and being received by others.

Mav.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.

I also live in loganville... 78/ old loganville rd I have nothing. I am also getting 1 meg downloads speeds

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

I live in. Cumming GA and on the 14th of July I had 4g service all day and it was fast I even posted a screenshot on this forum then on launch day the 15th nothing ever since. I have the S3.

Sent from my white, sexy S3.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  
    Master of Time and Space

I heard that Sprint knows of a problem with the towers not propagating correctly and are working on it.
    They hope to have it fixed today (07/17).

Still no 4G for me but I have noticed that my 3G is faster.

Mav.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.

Interesting. When I retraced my route home on Sunday there was no 4G where there was before.

I'm also Loganville 78/Old Loganville Rd.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    Interesting. When I retraced my route home on Sunday there was no 4G where there was before.

I'm also Loganville 78/Old Loganville Rd.

HTC EVO 4G LTE
    That doesn't mean anything. I have found that if my phone is already in a data session (streaming music usually but sometimes push mail etc....) that it won't connect to a 4G tower until the data session is over. As soon as I stop the streaming app or the push mail finishes it will connect to a 4G tower if one is available. Also if you have Sprint Optimizer on you are less likely to ever get a 4G signal because the optimizer turns on and off the 4G radio to conserve battery. I would bet if you turned the optimizer off and make sure you don't have stuff streaming or running on data it would switch over to 4G all the time. This is how i have tricked it at my work. I get a slight 4G signal at my desk, but the overpowering internal "tower" my work has had installed for sprint always wants to override that weak signal with a full bar 3G signal. I will get a 4G connection then start a streaming music app, and it will stay on the 4G for as long as I am streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by slickdaddy96 View Post
    That doesn't mean anything. I have found that if my phone is already in a data session (streaming music usually but sometimes push mail etc....) that it won't connect to a 4G tower until the data session is over. As soon as I stop the streaming app or the push mail finishes it will connect to a 4G tower if one is available. Also if you have Sprint Optimizer on you are less likely to ever get a 4G signal because the optimizer turns on and off the 4G radio to conserve battery. I would bet if you turned the optimizer off and make sure you don't have stuff streaming or running on data it would switch over to 4G all the time. This is how i have tricked it at my work. I get a slight 4G signal at my desk, but the overpowering internal "tower" my work has had installed for sprint always wants to override that weak signal with a full bar 3G signal. I will get a 4G connection then start a streaming music app, and it will stay on the 4G for as long as I am streaming.
    Where do you turn the optimizer off?

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    Where do you turn the optimizer off?

HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Well on my Galaxy S3 it is Settings>>More Settings>>Mobile Networks>>Automatic Connections, but on the EVO 4G LTE, I am unsure on whether there is such an optimizer on the phone or it is possible it is called something else.

I know that the Mobile Networks menu is somewhere in Settings, just not sure on the EVO LTE where it is. I would imagine any optimizer will be listed in that menu section. Someone with an EVO LTE might give you better direction on where it is if there is even an optimizer to begin with on the EVO LTE. I would imagine there is since Sprint came out with the phones around the same time, and that would be a Sprint added function that likely could be put on any ICS device.

Edit: Just a caveat though, but turning off any optimizer you will reduce your battery life. The optimizer on my phone turns on and off 4G radio and WiFi automatically scanning and then if nothing is available the optimizer turns it back off for a set amount of time (unsure how much time between scans...). If you turn any optimizer off, make sure you turn off Wifi manually if you are not near wifi otherwise it will always be scanning for wifi draining your battery. The 4G looking for a signal when there is not one will also drain battery, but I am unsure how much yet since these phones are so new and there isn't much info on battery life yet with LTE.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  
    Master of Time and Space

My Galaxy Nexus does not have that option.

Still no LTE connection for me in my travels around the NE side of town.
    Just gotta be patient.

I want to make sure mine connects to 4G before I root.

Mav.

Make a trip down to the south side then! :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

We made a trip back to the Mall of Georgia tonight to exchange an item and had dinner at Longhorns. While having dinner I alternated continuously between 3G at 0.5 Mbps and 4G LTE at 12 Mbps. We were seated smack in the middle of the restaurant, accounting for the pitifully slow 3G, but when I had 4G it was superb. I had each for about 5 minutes at a time before alternating to the other. It felt like some sort of testing was going on.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Frustrating at the very least

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    Master of Time and Space

My Galaxy Nexus has still not picked up an LTE signal.

Does anyone know of a trick or an app to test or force the phone to search for an LTE signal?
    I want to see if it will connect at all.

Thanks.

Mav.

I've done nothing different and I've seen 4G any number of times now. No tricks other than just wandering around the northern Atlanta suburbs.

I've connected at John's Creek, Mall of Georgia, and Lawrenceville most often.

HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Last edited by TraderGary; 07-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Dinner at Longhorn's Lawrenceville and solid 4G for two hours! This is the way it should be!

GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1342742779531.jpg
    GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1342742918364.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GA: Atlanta/Athens 4G LTE - Official Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1342742895682.jpg  
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast