No more 2-week early upgrade on Sprint

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I called yesterday to see about getting my upgrade *due August 1*...because I've read that you can get it 14 days early if you really work them....

I was told they took that away in July (as of July 1)...and that I would have to wait until the August 1 date to get it...

I told them I needed my upgrade because I had to drop the optimus s I had and switch to an old LG Lotus until I could get a new phone..and I needed my smartphone bck desperately...but even after disclosing that, I was told I couldn't, there was no way..and I'd still need to wait.

Talk about a CROCK...I'm paying all the money I am paying for 3 lines + airvana..and can't get my phone 2 weeks early...and my "phone" is broken and I had to re-activate a dumbphone just to use the line of service (luckily, this is my sister's phone and I'm still using my smartphone)..

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep this was reported on inside Sprint Now at the beginning of June (before they kidnapped him and sent him to Cuba).

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Really? My contract was up in August and my ogEVO4G was in pretty bad shape so in late May I Iooked up my account on-line and it said I was eligible for an early upgrade on June 5th.

So I went over to BB and they looked up my account to confirm everything was good and BOOM I walked out of there on June 6th with a Evo4GLTE.

I cannot believe that with all the negative press Sprint is getting with this LTE rollout they would pull this crap and not allow someone to upgrade early and lock them in for another 2 years.

Last edited:

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
This started on June 1st. I wouldn't call it crap. It is policy. Sprint is a for profit company. You get the phone for $200 upgrade price but sprint is paying $600 for that phone. You get it for that price because you are signing a contract stating that you will keep their service for two years and won't be eligible for an upgrade for 20 months. Even if the 'two week' thing was still in effect you wouldn't be able to get your upgrade until the 18th. It has been the 18th for quite some time. You could see about a buy out but that will cost you $50.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
There was a thread on this http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/174308-early-upgrade-program-going-away.html

Sprint reportedly cancelling its early upgrade program June 1st (update) - Engadget

The article is correct, I just did an upgrade to the EVO 4G LTE. I pre-ordered on May 7th, 2012.

My next upgrade date is 19 months 3 weeks 01/01/2014 from the pre-order date. I received the phone May 24th so in reality my next upgrade date was 19 months 1 week after I got my new evo. Consequently, on my 2 year contract I'm getting a full upgrade 5 months before it ends.

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Call retentions. But be firm and professional about it. Don't take no for an answer. If your phone is all crapped out, surey they can do something even if it means getting a credit.

I wouldn't call it crap. If the guy needs service and is so close to his upgrade, I don't see how that's crap.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Why is this a problem when I can still upgrade 2 month's before my contract is up.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Why is this a problem when I can still upgrade 2 month's before my contract is up.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
No no no.

As pointed out we already get a full upgrade months ahead of the 2 year contract expiration to begin with. The issue is attempting to get one before that upgrade date.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No no no.

As pointed out we already get a full upgrade months ahead of the 2 year contract expiration to begin with. The issue is attempting to get one before that upgrade date.

I don't see why someone should expect to get one before the upgrade eligibility date. If he was nice about it and went in to a sprint store I bet they would get him a loaner for a couple weeks. I do that for my customers all the time. To expect to get an upgrade before the upgrade date is just entitlement.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
This started on June 1st. I wouldn't call it crap. It is policy. Sprint is a for profit company. You get the phone for $200 upgrade price but sprint is paying $600 for that phone. You get it for that price because you are signing a contract stating that you will keep their service for two years and won't be eligible for an upgrade for 20 months. Even if the 'two week' thing was still in effect you wouldn't be able to get your upgrade until the 18th. It has been the 18th for quite some time. You could see about a buy out but that will cost you $50.

Well policy stinks, and please don't bring the $600.00 price tag into the picture. Most carriers make that subsidized price back up well before your contract is up. In fact your better off buying the phone straight up for $600.00 because you'll be saving money in the 2 year span of your contract.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why someone should expect to get one before the upgrade eligibility date. If he was nice about it and went in to a sprint store I bet they would get him a loaner for a couple weeks. I do that for my customers all the time. To expect to get an upgrade before the upgrade date is just entitlement.
Yes, I have to agree with you.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well policy stinks, and please don't bring the $600.00 price tag into the picture. Most carriers make that subsidized price back up well before your contract is up. In fact your better off buying the phone straight up for $600.00 because you'll be saving money in the 2 year span of your contract.
Cost how? What are you going to do with that $600 phone that I paid $200 for? we all get an upgrade every 19.5 months, not 2 years.

- I'm not planing on switching BUT if I was I'd simply sell the phone to offset the cost of the ETF. I did this with my Sprint data line 2 yrs ago.
- I did sell my 2 yr old original EVO for $160, I paid $200 NEW.

Why would you want to pay postpaid monthly prices for unsubsidized phones?

If prepaid/unsubsidized phones suits you better you should go for it.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

I didn't say that the company didn't make it up. They make it up after 12 months. Then they have about 8 months of making the profit. Then you can upgrade again. I know how it works. I see the numbers on a daily basis. I work in the industry. I actually work for sprint. Before that I worked for t-mobile. If you don't like the policy then you are very welcome to buy a phone at full price any time you would like. Like you said, you'd be saving money over that 20 month span.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Its the same thing at att. Only i hear its not made up till 18 months into the contract. The truth to that i am not sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
No no no.

D'oh! Oh Ok I guess I jumped the gun and didn't fully understand what the issue was. Sorry everyone:)..I thought that he was already on his upgrade date and they wouldn't let upgrade because of the new policy.

Yeah I've tried that before when I cracked the screen on my Evo last January and they told me no way for an early upgrade. I knew that Sprint would probably say no but thought I'd try anyway.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Eligible for the normal 22-month upgrade on August 1, wanted to go ahead and get it now. I'm already less than a couple weeks from time to get full upgrade anyway.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

How will you be saving money by buying your phone unsubsidized? Your monthly bill is the same whether you buy subsidized or not. And since Sprint is CDMA, you can't take your unsubsidized phone to another carrier. I don't see how you could save any money.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I went to the sprint store. I'm not eligible for an upgrade til Oct 1st. Was told at the sprint store for $50 I could upgrade early.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
How will you be saving money by buying your phone unsubsidized? Your monthly bill is the same whether you buy subsidized or not. And since Sprint is CDMA, you can't take your unsubsidized phone to another carrier. I don't see how you could save any money.
I said that to myself when I read it, because my bill won't change whether I buy the phone on eBay before contract date is up, or I buy the phone from Sprint when my upgrade is eligible.... so I'm wondering what the difference is myself and who gets a cheaper price for buying unsubsidized.

I went to the sprint store. I'm not eligible for an upgrade til Oct 1st. Was told at the sprint store for $50 I could upgrade early.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

I may try this around the 21st or so since I will be close to the Sprint store at that date and just see what they say. I hate to go in and pay the extra $50 then pay the price for the galaxy nexus, whatever it may be currently at a Sprint store.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I said that to myself when I read it, because my bill won't change whether I buy the phone on eBay before contract date is up, or I buy the phone from Sprint when my upgrade is eligible.... so I'm wondering what the difference is myself and who gets a cheaper price for buying unsubsidized.

I may try this around the 21st or so since I will be close to the Sprint store at that date and just see what they say. I hate to go in and pay the extra $50 then pay the price for the galaxy nexus, whatever it may be currently at a Sprint store.

The galaxy nexus right now is $99.