new LG VIper - I think I got scammed...

Clymber

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Bought a "new" LG Viper off Craiglist, guy said it had a "clean ESN."

Brand NEW LG Viper (in plastic and box)

He said we'd meet at Sprint store, so I thought it was legit. He didn't show up for 1st meeting, which I thought was suspicious. His excuse was that he was called in for "work." Our second meeting was at the store, but on a Sunday afternoon (when they were closed). Again he didn't actually show up, it was his girlfriend this time. She gave me the phone and I gave her $120 cash. I did get the license plate # of the vehicle she was riding in.Phone didn't power up, so I had to charge it overnight. When I called Sprint to activate, they said it was already activated and would have to be "released" from the other account.

So, after a text message & email to this guy today, I've had no response. Any suggestions?

I really don't want an expensive PDA.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Report they License plate to the police. get your money back. They should be able to help you out. Fill out a report! Longer you wait the less likely you will get any money back.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I wouldn't have given anyone any cash until after the esn was certified usable.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Bought a "new" LG Viper off Craiglist, guy said it had a "clean ESN."

Brand NEW LG Viper (in plastic and box)

He said we'd meet at Sprint store, so I thought it was legit. He didn't show up for 1st meeting, which I thought was suspicious. His excuse was that he was called in for "work." Our second meeting was at the store, but on a Sunday afternoon (when they were closed). Again he didn't actually show up, it was his girlfriend this time. She gave me the phone and I gave her $120 cash. I did get the license plate # of the vehicle she was riding in.Phone didn't power up, so I had to charge it overnight. When I called Sprint to activate, they said it was already activated and would have to be "released" from the other account.

So, after a text message & email to this guy today, I've had no response. Any suggestions?

I really don't want an expensive PDA.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

What's the point of meeting at a sprint store if u didn't go inside and wait till the phone was activated to make sure it worked? I always go in and switch the phone onto my account and once that is done I pay the person.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

docgoat1987

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats what i do i tell them i want to meet at a sprint store to get it activated i wont buy no more or trade if they dont wanna meet at a sprint store

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I see this a lot. I always tell people to get the esn ahead of time to find out if it is even usable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
+1

I recently sold my original EVO 4G to someone. I suggested we meet at a Sprint store so he can activate it. That's exactly what happened, all went smoothly all were happy.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I see this a lot. I always tell people to get the esn ahead of time to find out if it is even usable.

But that really isn't even enough, who knows if they are giving you the esn off the phone they are selling you.

Meeting at an OPEN Sprint store is by far your best bet.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Most likely they got the phone on a new account/line but didn't pay the bill hence they claimed it was a "clean" ESN. Most people think "clean ESN" means not stolen. They don't know the phone can be locked out due to non-payment.

Of course that's giving them the benefit of the doubt that it isn't just stolen. You didn't suspect anything when someone is selling a brand new phone that retails for $400 for $150?

Anyway, you can try the police but it's your word against theirs. The Craigslist is add is anonymous so I don't know how much the police can do. Might have to chalk it up as lesson learned; deal was too good to be legitimate.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
But that really isn't even enough, who knows if they are giving you the esn off the phone they are selling you.

Meeting at an OPEN Sprint store is by far your best bet.

It actually tells you a lot. If the esn doesn't match the one they are giving you then you know they lied. Always look at the esn on the phone to make sure it matches. I usually recommend that people meet at a store but sometimes that's not possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol