Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

Default Sprint vs. at&t network speeds

Removed
    Last edited by hbg; 05-02-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Same here in Greensboro. I am coming from Verizon for better plans and Ego. My Storm 2 kills the Ego on WiFi with stock browser! What's up with that? Anyway, overall I like the phone and it would have cost me over $100.00 more to get same package on 4 phones that I got on Sprint vs Verizon. I have not found any dead spots yet after 2 plus weeks.

It comes down to provider and convenience. Considering where the speeds of phones were just four years ago, how fast is fast enough? You're going to have to ask yourself is it worth it to pay more for a smaller screen, not to mention have to hold the phone a certain way, in order to get faster speeds? Personally, my phone loads faster than my work or home PC, so I will not be complaining about speeds any time soon.

Hold it in your hand and see the result.

Seriously though, one phone doesn't fit everybody. Go with what works for you. Personally I can't get down with at&t and ios seems too child like. I like the customization of android.....so some speed differences wouldn't change mind....I'm not needing to d/l 10gb of data ASAP on my device.

its simple, return the evo

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Because...?
    I think you laid out your reasons why your initial post, otherwise why make it?
    HTC Evo 4G | Playstation 3 (60 GB) | Texas Longhorns | San Antonio Spurs | Dallas Cowboys

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I think you should change the title to Sprint 4G slower than ATT HSDPA in Charlotte NC. It is misleading as written.

See my sig.

If data speed is priority #1, then it seems pretty obvious you should return the Evo and use the iPhone. If the dozens of things the Evo does better than the iPhone are more important, well, you can figure out the rest.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by qwest4 View Post
    I think you should change the title to Sprint 4G slower than ATT HSDPA in Charlotte NC. It is misleading as written.
    It really is because here in Houston, in this very particular area of downtown where I'm at...ATT doesn't get any network connection while Sprint does, albeit not the best speeds but enough.

Doesn't the tortoise win in the end?

4G speeds are unreliable at best. I wish Sprint would have made sure the service was reliable before tooting their horn over it.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by jpsamora View Post
    Doesn't the tortoise win in the end?

4G speeds are unreliable at best. I wish Sprint would have made sure the service was reliable before tooting their horn over it.
    In today's market and with Sprint's current position, I dont think they could have done that. They needed the next big thing, and much like ATT was tooting its horn over its 3G network when they had little to no coverage a few years ago, Sprint needed to make it known they were the only ones with 4G before Verizon starts rolling out LTE and doing its usual massive market campaigns that are o so effective.

One thing that everyone should understand is that a single test and screen capture means nothing. I just ran 10 sequential tests using both mobile.speedtest and the speedtest.net Android app, comparing 4G and 3G speeds. I'll post the results shortly, but the first thing that became obvious is that speeds vary so much you've got to average a bunch of tests to get anything meaningful.

On 3G, my results varied by a factor of almost 3 from slowest to fastest using mobile.speedtest, and by 2 to 1 using speedtest.net. On 4G I saw a variation of 1.75 to 1 on mobile.speedtest, and 3 to 1 on speedtest.net

Location can make a huge difference, too. In one location, AT&T may have a much faster connection. Move half a mile away, or to the other side of a building, and the situation could be reversed.

So I wouldn't read much into one comparison screen shot. It can show almost anything, meaningful or not.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Froyo

Here's a picture of the iPhone speedtest just a few minutes ago. How do I take a screenshot on the EVO to do the same?
    The Speedtest app, for whatever reason, has been known to report much lower speeds on the Evo on 4G.

Go to from the Evo's browser and try that. You might find a much different result.

ROM
    Mean ROM

I just did speakeasy, in my inner-office, on 4G with only a single bar and got 5.55 download. I would think I could do better outside. Kansas City has pretty good 4G coverage everywhere in the metro.

Just tried that speedtest app and it was just over 3000 kbs on the first go 'round.
    Last edited by Husker Z; 06-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Wink

Let me start of by saying I've been with AT&T until the last month for like 6 years. Also, I've never jumped onboard the whole iPhone train. Never was a pod person! AT&T eventually sucked for me and I wouldn't use them even if you gave me a new iPhone 4 for FREE.

1. Now, I know a number of people with iPhones of several versions and they all say the same thing - I *LOVE* my phone, I *HATE* AT&T. There's a reason AT&T has worked its way DOWN in the customer service ratings.

2. 4G is an emerging technology and standard, it will only get better and more consistent. I'm willing to give it its chance, since in the last 3 weeks since the Evo's launch and my move to Sprint I've had so many fewer dropped calls to other cellphones (I still blame those remaining AT&T customers) and NONE when calling regular land-lines or other Sprint customers.

So, OP, it comes down to your preference. Do you want to jump onboard the iPhone 4, with its limited app market and single consistently poor carrier, or move to Android, with a good open-source programming base and multiple carriers to choose from?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7

simple..sell me ur evo and enjoy ur iphone...p.s.
    dont hold your phone in your left hand!!
    Last edited by melnick7; 06-25-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qwest4 View Post
    agreed

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Here's a picture of the iPhone speedtest just a few minutes ago. How do I take a screenshot on the EVO to do the same?
    Nice ping time!

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

A 2.5 second ping time? WTF? That means no matter HOW FAST your connection is, pages will NEVER load faster than 2.5 secs and every single connection that your iPhone makes will have a 2.5 sec lag added to it.

That is simply ridiculous! I get 150-200ms ping time on my EVO consistently. A 700kbps connection with a 150ms ping time will run circles around a 6mbps connection with a 2450ms ping time browsing the web ANY DAY, not to mention a 3mbps sprint connection with a 150ms ping.

Holy **** i cannot believe your ping is that high on ATT and you are complaining about Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post

A 2.5 second ping time? WTF? That means no matter HOW FAST your connection is, pages will NEVER load faster than 2.5 secs and every single connection that your iPhone makes will have a 2.5 sec lag added to it.
    He/she probably didn't change the server.

I know on the Evo it defaults to Overland Park, KS when I'm in Chicago. When I change it to Chicago, the ping goes from 260 ms down to 120 ms.

Although 2.5 s is really long time unless it's going to the moon...

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    He/she probably didn't change the server.

I know on the Evo it defaults to Overland Park, KS when I'm in Chicago. When I change it to Chicago, the ping goes from 260 ms down to 120 ms.

Although 2.5 s is really long time unless it's going to the moon...
    No, take a look, the OP says they are in Charlotte and this is a Charlotte server....

Probably right down the street. Looks like ATT is collecting the incoming data, maybe compressing it and then pushing it out? if so that will slow down websites DRAMATICALLY while making speedtests look super fast. If that is what they are doing, I must say I'm not surprised, they seem like the type of company that rather than fixing network speeds, they just make the user think they are faster.

Well, I am in St. Louis. I did a speedtest (android app) to servers in St. Louis and got 1.7 meg down. I switched to servers in Chicago immediately after, tested again, and got 3.09 meg down. Server congestion will play a big part in test times. Try another set of servers.

Also, speakeasy gave 5.5 meg on Chicago servers...

my 3g is pretty quick
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast