No 4g in Chicagoland?

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Picked up EVO Thu night @ the Bolingbrook BB. No 4g signal there and have only seen the 4g light up once since then (Fri at US Cellular for Sox game for about 10 seconds). Phone has been downtown, near west burbs, south side, etc, and nothing. Settings shows it is scanning for 4g signal but never changes from that state.

Anyone else see the same type of thing?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is baffling in where they are rolling out 4g, I mean other than Philidelphia all the 4g city choices seem odd at best as they seem to be really small matkets.

add309

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i believe they do, i travel through chicagoland very regular and have always picked up 4g around aurora on i88 and it lasts the whole time im in libertyville all the way back to aurora, havent seen much outside of that, im waiting for it to hit the quad cities in east illinois ;)

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I were in Chicago last Thursday doing the tourist thing down at the Navy Pier and found a good strong 4G signal. We were on our way to Berrien Spring in Michigan to visit our daughter and that 4G signal lasted just about all the way to the Indiana state line.

kschuyler

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Chicago is actually the largest 4G market. My company is a Clear reseller so I'm pretty familiar with the coverage in the area. Chicago itself is completely covered so while you may get pocket areas where there is no coverage, in general if you are in the city you wil be covered. Bolingbrook is still being rolled out so there are definitely areas of coverage and areas of no coverage. Joliet is about the same although I would say Joliet is about 70% covered at the moment. Naperville area is pretty strong as well.

Keith

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to be missing something with my Evo then. Looking at the 4g settings page right now and under 4g it says "Scanning.." as it always does, no info under the 4g network info (assuming because it is still scanning).

Wonder if something is wrong with the Sprint setup or if I just have a bad device.

zeropcs

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I was at The Cell last night for the Sox/Cubs game and I had 4g the whole time, full signal at that... I live out in the Schaumburg area and will usually get a bar or 2 of 4G, but it is never consistent, but as soon as I hit i90 in the city I was solid...

marko358

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was at The Cell last night for the Sox/Cubs game and I had 4g the whole time, full signal at that... I live out in the Schaumburg area and will usually get a bar or 2 of 4G, but it is never consistent, but as soon as I hit i90 in the city I was solid...

GO Sox! :D

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Alright, sounds like it has to go back. No 4g at the cell, on 290 or 88, in the loop, Naperville, etc. What a pain.

Thanks for the responses.

gapoochi

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Bolingbrook, very close to the Sprint store in fact, and I get a 4G signal most of the time outside. I don't get it in the house though. I also get a stonger signal in Naperville and surrounding areas.

A Clear rep had told me a few months back that they were having trouble getting new towers in Bolingbrook because the mayor didn't want to approve them; something up them not being attractive. I know since then Clear has rolled out to here (got called 2 months ago saying we are now covered)

Not sure if they will be putting up more towers but that would be nice :)
But I do get 4G all around the area so great while driving around.

ssa7777

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
i get 4g at the promenade mall but at my house at 83rd and janes in woodridge i do not. i've tried all around the whole chicagoland area and usually pick it up when i try

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Man, my 4G signal sucks in Chicago! haha

2nkqm4p.png

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you have it activated? :p

Good question. Under Settings->Wireless & networks I have 4G checked (which is where it continuously says 'Scanning...') & under 4G Setings I have both the 4G & Network notification checked. Network provider, Signal strength & IP address are all blank (assuming these are set once a signal is found).

Anything else I should be checking?

Y2Dre

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I can vouch for the south suburbs. I get 4G coverage in Matteson, Olympia Fields Flossmoor, etc. I actually get stronger 4G coverage in Park Ridge, Rosemont, Des Plaines, etc. Finally, Downtown as well as the Southside (around Garfield & Western) has been good to me. Basically, Chicago is all good in the 4G area (at least for me!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member