Sprint users I need your advice?

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have been a Sprint customer for nine consecutive years and as of recently I have been a fan of android platform owning both a Samsung Moment and then a year later upgrading early to an Evo 4g which now the phone is hitting its stride. I'm due for an upgrade at the end of august and I would like to know what phones you think or believe should be my next upgrade? Either the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Evo 4g Lte. I did get a chance to play with both phones, the only thing I don't like about the Evo Lte is the lack of battery swapping, for me battery swapping is important because who wants to carry around a charger all day so Samsung gets my vote. But I still like the Evo Lte due to its branding, as well as Beats audio. Instead of upgrading should I still hold on to my orginal Evo 4g? Any quad core phones coming out of the corner, or should I wait and see what phones windows is coming out with its apollo windows 8 os?

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing myself right now. I have an upgrade in November but so far none of the phones that sprint has worth getting IMO. I suggest waiting and see what other phones Sprint is coming out with. I can't say which of the two phones to get as I have only played around the the gs3 :/

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry about battery life on the evo 4g lte, you can easily go all day without needing a charger. Just check out the threads in the evo 4g lte forum.

Dickey68

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend the gs3. Beats audio doesn't have anything on the wolfsen dac in the gs3. The went back to it after people complained about the Yamaha dac in the gs2. The gs1 sounded so much better than my gs2. And yes, I was able to tell the difference right away.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree with all of your opinions. Also note that LTE has not launched yet in NYC at the very moment, so it makes no sense to upgrade now for an LTE phone and I wont have access to to 4g speeds. I have my evo 4g and fall back using WIMAX. I guess you guys are right I will hold out until a couple of months and see what Sprint brings to the table!

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Wait for the holiday lineup around November.

If you don't like any by then, it's a long wait till next summer.

Those are the only two times of the year anyone should be buying phones or holding out for.

Most new releases are by summer or enter holiday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Wait for the holiday lineup around November.

If you don't like any by then, it's a long wait till next summer.

Those are the only two times of the year anyone should be buying phones or holding out for.

Most new releases are by summer or enter holiday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Do you know of any Sprint phones coming out during November besides those new LG phones or even the Motorola Photon Q? I guess I'm going to have to hold out and play a wait and see game, especially since I wanna purchase the Microsoft Surface tablet which is coming out during October.

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
That's my same thing. I have an og evo and have a 3500 battery in it to survive the day. So unless it's a swap able or extendable battery I'm kinda sunk and don't care for the s3. Hoping this new lg thing that's gone through fcc stuff might rear its head soon so I have a few other options to look at.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
With all the custom roms out there for the OG Evo, why would you even want to buy a new phone? The Evo pioneered the large screen, it has enough processing and memory to do a little more than what the stock rom does. If you aren't rooted, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at all the CM7, CM9, and even the CM10 roms. It will generally make you feel like you have a GS3.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
My 2cents...

If you really like the GS3 or the Evo LTE, then jump on them. IMO it's too late to use an upgrade on a Sprint GNex. HTC and Samsung are probably done with high end phones for the year. LG and Moto will probably have their offerings before Christmas.

The only other possibility is that if a new Nexus comes out by the end of the year (which is a big if), Sprint would probably get a CDMA version early next year.

If none of that tickles your fancy, you're probably better off waiting to see what Samsung and HTC release next summer.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I have used both. Like you I had an ogEvo4G and loved it. When the new Evo came out I thought it was a no brainer to pick one up. The first couple of days were great, love the screen, the kickstand and the camera.

Well that's when the troubles began. I won't bore you with the details but I ended up swapping the phone out 3 times for variety of issue with (overheating, BT connectivity, multitasking). I said the hell with it and got an SIII and it has been pretty flawless.

Also be aware that unless your in a city that has LTE, the 3G speeds may be pretty bad for you. So do your homework and find out when LTE is coming to your city. If it will be a while you might want to consider holding on to you EVO a bit longer.

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Another idea I had was to upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S 2 for 99 bucks and get a second phone for free. Since I don't know when LTE will launch NYC but also I don't know how long Sprint will keep alive the WIMAX bandwidth. IF WIMAX is around on Sprint for another two to three years I will stick with a WIMAX phone for the next two years until Sprint builds up its LTE network. What you guys think?

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Susposedly NYC is on the same rollout schedule as here in Chicago. Speculation is that Chicago may be lit up as early as November (burbs might be sooner). So I would check a site like s4gru.com to see when it will go live in NYC.

As for the 2 for 1 deal on the S2, I would read the fine print as see if the 2nd phone needs to be equal or lesser value. No sense wasting that upgrade on a phone that's over a year old. I would hold on to your Evo and wait for a month and see what new phones Sprint unveils this fall. Who knows, you may be able to get a deal on the SIII or 4GLTE :).

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Since you don't have LTE yet, wait. You still may be between those 2 phones at that time, but by the time you get LTE, there may be a better deal on the EVO or even the S3

Sent from my PG06100 using Android Central Forums