Buying a phone on eBay

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to buy a phone off eBay or Craigs List. I see lots of phones listed as bad esn. I assume that means I will not be able to activate it. So, why do people buy phones with bad esns? Is it to just use as a wifi only device?

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to buy a phone off eBay or Craigs List. I see lots of phones listed as bad esn. I assume that means I will not be able to activate it. So, why do people buy phones with bad esns? Is it to just use as a wifi only device?

Phones with bad esn's can be flashed to metro & crickett

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

enjamin

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is yes on the wifi only deal but then I know a few guys that will buy them for the extra parts. Screens, casing, boards, qwerty kbs,
Once its listed as bad esn its the same as buying a stolen phone although this can also happen when someone neglects to pay their bill and the company drops them as a customer

I know a lot of hardware guys and we work with sodering irons a lot so get bored and try to do dumb things
My platoon sgt still uses a moto razor v3.2.... on his 5th screen and once we were bored so we soldered 2 pentium4 boards with processors and ram and got them to run parrelel and blew it up a little later

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't realize that. Makes sense why I see so many phones with bad esns on there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The thing about buying even a good phone on eBay or craigslist is that they could sell it to you with a good ESN then when you leave or a few days later can call the insurance and say it was stolen or lost and get a new phone sent to them and yours will be shut down, just a heads up I've heard this is a new scam some people do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: regression

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The thing abut buying even a good phone on eBay or craigslist is that they could sell it to you with a good ESN then when you leave or a few days later can call the insurance and say it was stolen or lost and get a new phone sent to them and yours will be shut down, just a heads up I've heard this is a new scam some people do.

Thanks for the heads up.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've heard people recommend if you're buying a used phone from someone, to meet at a Sprint store and activate it on the spot before completing the transaction. I've never done this, but it seems like good advice.

Reactions: regression

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The thing about buying even a good phone on eBay or craigslist is that they could sell it to you with a good ESN then when you leave or a few days later can call the insurance and say it was stolen or lost and get a new phone sent to them and yours will be shut down, just a heads up I've heard this is a new scam some people do.

This scam works on gsm phones, cdma (Sprint) phones not so much. You should be good to go on ebay with Sprint phones.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If on ebay kook at the seller's rating. Choose someone who has been with ebay for a long time.
Regarding craigslist :if the seller refuses to meet you at a verizon store DO NOT deal with him/her. Not meeting you at a corporate store is clear indication not a good deal.

sent from my Rezound