That $10 Surcharge

bkebbe

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Today all the Sprint employees say the $10 extra is a data network charge.

But when I bought my EVO 4G it was a 4G charge, and any 3G phone purchase wouldn't have included that fee.

Well, almost 2 years and I have had snippets of wimax at 2 airports. Will old EVOs get a modified LTE signal converted some way?

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

But when I bought my EVO 4G it was a 4G charge, and any 3G phone purchase wouldn't have included that fee.

Well, almost 2 years and I have had snippets of wimax at 2 airports. Will old EVOs get a modified LTE signal converted some way?

The technologies are not compatible. They don't even work in the same frequency range. So don't expect LTE to ever work on the old EVO.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Nope.

Consider yourself violated.

2 things to learn from this, first is never trust Sprint when they say "soon" and secondly, bring your own Vaseline, it will not be provided by them...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The charge is for premium data on all smart phones, no matter if they are 3g, 4g or lte.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: arcoms

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Major +1!

I feel the same and thats why I left for att. Grass is greener on the other side!

The grass IS actually greener in the first wave update areas. I'm in NE Atlanta and I now have fast 4G everywhere I go. Unlimited data with no data caps becomes very important at these speeds. For me a move would have been a mistake. At the rate I use data I could hit data caps in just a few days.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Major +1!

I feel the same and thats why I left for att. Grass is greener on the other side!

Paying more and getting less (higher rates, data limits) is considered greener?

you mean to tell me you can put a man on the moon but no one can make a smartphone battery that lasts a whole day? jeez!

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
The grass IS actually greener in the first wave update areas. I'm in NE Atlanta and I now have fast 4G everywhere I go. Unlimited data with no data caps becomes very important at these speeds. For me a move would have been a mistake. At the rate I use data I could hit data caps in just a few days.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Well at least one person is getting LTE , which I guess justifys that $10.00 surcharge.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh God, can't we be done with this damn argument!?!?

If you feel the need, please go back to the old 5438 other threads where this has been debated unceasingly, read them I'm sure you will find replies that echo exactly what you are feeling/thinking. Feel free to substitute "LTE" wherever you see "4G" or "WiMax".

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Too bad the service isn't premium despite the name.

Agreed. If you're not lucky enough to get 4G in your area (and that's the majority of Sprint's current network), there's nothing premium about their data service. What good is unlimited data if you're going nowhere fast and end up running desperately towards the first WiFi network in range?

But on the other hand, I suppose their zero-throttle data is a godsend for people that live in one of the "blessed" 4G markets.

I've decided that I just have to leave Sprint. Nothing is changing in my market. Mine's on the "we're considering it" list for LTE. With Sprint, that roughly translates to "never gonna happen".

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. If you're not lucky enough to get 4G in your area (and that's the majority of Sprint's current network), there's nothing premium about their data service. What good is unlimited data if you're going nowhere fast and end up running desperately towards the first WiFi network in range?

But on the other hand, I suppose their zero-throttle data is a godsend for people that live in one of the "blessed" 4G markets.

I've decided that I just have to leave Sprint. Nothing is changing in my market. Mine's on the "we're considering it" list for LTE. With Sprint, that roughly translates to "never gonna happen".

Well u have a couple options

1 move to a wimax or lte area
2 calm yo nerves and wait till lte comes to u
3 go find yourself another carrier and quit b**thin (and deal with higher rates and data caps lol)

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well u have a couple options

1 move to a wimax or lte area
2 calm yo nerves and wait till lte comes to u
3 go find yourself another carrier and quit b**thin (and deal with higher rates and data caps lol)

1. Move to a WiMAX/LTE market? Hah. I find it interesting that cities like Atlanta get LTE right away, yet the 6th largest city in the US (Phoenix) lives in the stone age. It's a very strange phenomenon.

2. I've already tried to calm my "nerves" for almost 2 years waiting for WiMAX. It never happened here and it never will. And LTE is currently on Sprint's "consideration" list for Phoenix, which doesn't really inspire confidence.

3. Non-throttled data doesn't mean much when you can't use your data in any meaningful way outside of checking email because it's too slow for everything else.

So, I am leaving Sprint after 11 years of being a customer. It's easy for others to sit on their high horses when everything they're paying for actually works. But it's become pretty clear to me that my market isn't changing and I'm sick of waiting for it to do so. Besides, I think I can manage living with a 2GB cap before throttle on mobile data (I have good WiFi at home and at work) and T-Mo coverage is actually pretty good here. Prepaid on an unlocked GNex looks very enticing to me right now and I'd cut my current bill by 1/3.

Now don't get me wrong, I would wholeheartedly agree that Sprint is the best deal around IF you can get their 4G and the voice coverage in your area is adequate. So for someone like yourself, it's a very good thing. It's just not for me anymore. I'm not hating, I'm just frustrated.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
1. Move to a WiMAX/LTE market? Hah. I find it interesting that cities like Atlanta get LTE right away, yet the 6th largest city in the US (Phoenix) lives in the stone age. It's a very strange phenomenon.

2. I've already tried to calm my "nerves" for almost 2 years waiting for WiMAX. It never happened here and it never will. And LTE is currently on Sprint's "consideration" list for Phoenix, which doesn't really inspire confidence.

3. Non-throttled data doesn't mean much when you can't use your data in any meaningful way outside of checking email because it's too slow for everything else.

So, I am leaving Sprint after 11 years of being a customer. It's easy for others to sit on their high horses when everything they're paying for actually works. But it's become pretty clear to me that my market isn't changing and I'm sick of waiting for it to do so. Besides, I think I can manage living with a 2GB cap before throttle on mobile data (I have good WiFi at home and at work) and T-Mo coverage is actually pretty good here. Prepaid on an unlocked GNex looks very enticing to me right now and I'd cut my current bill by 1/3.

Now don't get me wrong, I would wholeheartedly agree that Sprint is the best deal around IF you can get their 4G and the voice coverage in your area is adequate. So for someone like yourself, it's a very good thing. It's just not for me anymore. I'm not hating, I'm just frustrated.

I left Verizon for sprint 2 years ago trying to save money which was a big mistake. I saved $15 a month and I would have paid triple that to have had 3g that I could watch a YouTube video on or do anything useful. After 2 years I left sprint and am now on straight talk with a galaxy note. Great coverage for att data speeds in the 2-5mbps download range and 1-2 upload range. Praying I never have to go to a different carrier again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I left Verizon for sprint 2 years ago trying to save money which was a big mistake. I saved $15 a month and I would have paid triple that to have had 3g that I could watch a YouTube video on or do anything useful. After 2 years I left sprint and am now on straight talk with a galaxy note. Great coverage for att data speeds in the 2-5mbps download range and 1-2 upload range. Praying I never have to go to a different carrier again.

Are you on ST's $45 plan? I was looking at that, too, but from what I've read in various places, there's a lot of conflicting information regarding their data policy. Some say they soft cap and throttle after 2GB, and others say they've been threatened with service shut-off warnings when they exceed 2GB in a month or 200MB in a day.

I'm by no means a data hog, but I'm just curious what to expect. Right now, I'm pretty sold on the unlocked GNex for $349.

Also, if I end up going this route, I have to make the hard decision between the AT&T or T-Mo SIM. Both seem have good coverage in Phoenix, based on what I've read and what I few of my friends on these carriers have said. But I do know that AT&T service is abysmal in the big California cities (especially San Fran) because of the network congestion, and I do go to California quite a bit. So, the decision will probably be T-Mo, whether I go with ST or with one of T-Mo's prepaid plans.

Any thoughts?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you on ST's $45 plan? I was looking at that, too, but from what I've read in various places, there's a lot of conflicting information regarding their data policy. Some say they soft cap and throttle after 2GB, and others say they've been threatened with service shut-off warnings when they exceed 2GB in a month or 200MB in a day.

I'm by no means a data hog, but I'm just curious what to expect. Right now, I'm pretty sold on the unlocked GNex for $349.

Also, if I end up going this route, I have to make the hard decision between the AT&T or T-Mo SIM. Both seem have good coverage in Phoenix, based on what I've read and what I few of my friends on these carriers have said. But I do know that AT&T service is abysmal in the big California cities (especially San Fran) because of the network congestion, and I do go to California quite a bit. So, the decision will probably be T-Mo, whether I go with ST or with one of T-Mo's prepaid plans.

Any thoughts?

On Verizon I had 4gb of data and would use between 3-4gb a month I haven't changed any habits ans have had no warnings or problems so far. No throttling that I've noticed. Best decision I've made. Even if I had to cut back on data a bit its worth the price. $45 compared to $98 I was paying on the cheapest plan with no insurance on Verizon. Worst u can do is get the gnex spend $60 on the sim card and plan and try it out. If u don't like it then u can go to tmo or att. I also bought the gnex for 349 to try the service after 2 months I figured I liked it and gave the gnex to my gf and got myself a note. If all else fails and something happens I'll go to att

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

1 well sucks to be in Phoenix haha because the 3rd biggest city (Chicago) my city is COVERED with wimax and soon with lte

2 the reason u didn't get wimax is Cuz spring did a u turn and went to lte if they continued wimax every sprint market would've gotten in and wimax wasn't sprints fault it was clear wire plain and simple

3 I can do everything on my phone that somebody on att vzw can do and I avg 10gb a month so like I said if sprint not good for U then leave

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
1 well sucks to be in Phoenix haha because the 3rd biggest city (Chicago) my city is COVERED with wimax and soon with lte

2 the reason u didn't get wimax is Cuz spring did a u turn and went to lte if they continued wimax every sprint market would've gotten in and wimax wasn't sprints fault it was clear wire plain and simple

3 I can do everything on my phone that somebody on att vzw can do and I avg 10gb a month so like I said if sprint not good for U then leave

How wasn't wimax Sprint's fault? They promoted it, owned a majority of clear, and implemented it into their phones, yes, it's spirit's fault lol

But I agree, Sprint is the best if you have 4G

you mean to tell me you can put a man on the moon but no one can make a smartphone battery that lasts a whole day? jeez!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How wasn't wimax Sprint's fault? They promoted it, owned a majority of clear, and implemented it into their phones, yes, it's spirit's fault lol

But I agree, Sprint is the best if you have 4G

Because they didn't OWN OR DEPLOY wimax clear did sprint just partnered with them to an extent now with lte its a different story sprint owns the spectrum and deployment of lte unlike wimax