Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By scuba_steve
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Goodbye... :(

    I enjoyed participating in the Sprint forum and getting to know many of you, but I finally pulled the trigger on VZ last night. I just could not deal with Sprint's network any longer...or their truckload of promises...that never seem to arrive.

    My wife and I traded in our 3.5 year-old Palm Pre's and each picked up a Galaxy S3 (with an iPhone 5 on order for our daughter)....and the difference is shocking. I just ran a single speed test and I hit 14 Mbps down and 10.5 Mbps up...with 53 ms ping...from inside an office building. I could FPS game with this connection.

    Anyway, my best to you all...and my sincere wishes for Sprint to get off its **** and bring LTE to you all.

    cheers,
    Scuba
  2. #2  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    I left as well! But for ATT. Also just because you leave the Sprint network does not mean you can not come on here to visit like I do! I just leave my own real opinion on the last few years with Sprint. But I do agree....They need a lot of work and I'm just not willing to wait over a year and spend $98/month for service with dial up speeds. Grass for me was in fact greener on the other side! But if your in an LTE area...Good for them and I hope they enjoy it! I'm all about saving money where money can be saved just like anyone else!

    But for the same amount of money (I get 20% off ATT) I get much better service from ATT where I live. Enjoy the Verizon speeds!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    You gotta do what you gotta do. Use what works best for you. For me Sprint is the best option. AT&T and Verizon just dont have service in my house and i get full bars of Sprint LTE in my basement now (thanks to them finally turning on the service). Granted yes because i do work for AT&T i could get a major discount if i went with them, but i need my phones to work where i live at the moment and I have tried the microcell for AT&T and it didnt work for me.

    But i shall see if there will be any changes in the coming months while i am planing to move.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  4. #4  
    chunkcohen's Avatar

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I enjoyed participating in the Sprint forum and getting to know many of you, but I finally pulled the trigger on VZ last night. I just could not deal with Sprint's network any longer...or their truckload of promises...that never seem to arrive.

    My wife and I traded in our 3.5 year-old Palm Pre's and each picked up a Galaxy S3 (with an iPhone 5 on order for our daughter)....and the difference is shocking. I just ran a single speed test and I hit 14 Mbps down and 10.5 Mbps up...with 53 ms ping...from inside an office building. I could FPS game with this connection.

    Anyway, my best to you all...and my sincere wishes for Sprint to get off its **** and bring LTE to you all.

    cheers,
    Scuba
    Yeah, I couldn't take it anymore, either. Unlimited data just wasn't enough to justify the abysmal 3G data speeds I was getting.

    I left Sprint about 2 weeks ago, but I switched to T-Mo prepaid (for now, to test the waters) on an unlocked G-Nex. So far, my experience has been very positive and I now finally have usable data service (7Mb/1.5Mb on average on HSPA+; not LTE speeds, but a far cry from what I was accustomed to). After an extended test, I may consider going postpaid with them to jump on their $69.99 unlimited Value Plan, which requires a 2-year agreement.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    At&t gets the best phones. I am really up in the air about staying with Sprint. I get terrible service around Sacramento. It's seems like a miracle to break the 1 mbps download mark. Most of the time it's like 50kbps or 100kbps maybe 500 to 1mbps really late at night. My contract isn't up but I've been contemplating an unlocked Nexus on a Att or Tmo. The main reason why I don't is because I'm on my brothers family plan and pay $40 a month for unlimited everything with insurance, so ya that's why I don't want to leave. I hope Network Vision kicks into high gear next year and they make some serious improvements.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Seems to me that even if Sprint remains committed to the LTE rollout and stays financial viable while doing it, they will need at last two years to deploy a network with even reasonable coverage. That is a WAG, but it is one based on the slow progress to date of tower updates noted on s4gru.

    Even the few cities that are supposedly LTE have only a small fraction of their towers upgraded...and apparently not enough bandwidth or back-haul in place to handle the load even if you are in the radius of one of those lucky towers.

    I can't imagine how long it will be before you can drive around with a Sprint LTE device and have continuous LTE coverage....and even when we get there, what will the download speeds look like? They are overselling bandwidth now.

    Thus, I see no reason to be with them in the next two years. At the end of that time, one can always come back and reevaluate. If they have a robust network then with decent download speed, are still inexpensive, and are still offering unlimited data, then I will consider coming back...but I am not paying 90% of what VZ charges for data that eeks in at 1995 modem speeds and for a voice network on which I can often not get a connection. My vacation this summer was the final straw. None of the three Sprint phones in my family could place calls reliably in a pretty large area near the shore. I am not talking about a rural area...and we traveled many miles and had this issue, yet a family friend who had VZ was not only placing calls wherever we went, but could also stream video while sitting on the beach.

    Unlimited data means squat at these speeds. It's like being at an all-you-can eat buffet where the plates are the size of postage stamps...and the buffet table is a two-mile walk from the table where you eat.

    Regarding VZ prices...

    Had we upgraded our last two off-contract phones on Sprint, we would have been paying another $20 a month for the "whatever" fee. That would have brought my monthly bill to $197 for a three-line family plan with insurance on all three handsets...with a corporate discount. I have those three lines on VZ now...with insurance...on an 8GB plan with unlimited voice and text...and my bill will be approximately $225 with corporate discount after taxes. About 10% more for data that screams. I'll monitor data usage and adjust up and down as needed. 8GB a month is more than we used on Sprint, but who knows what we will use when data is actually served at useful speeds.
    Thanked by:
    pretext and cgardnervt like this.
  7. #7  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Seems to me that even if Sprint remains committed to the LTE rollout and stays financial viable while doing it, they will need at last two years to deploy a network with even reasonable coverage. That is a WAG, but it is one based on the slow progress to date of tower updates noted on s4gru.

    Even the few cities that are supposedly LTE have only a small fraction of their towers upgraded...and apparently not enough bandwidth or back-haul in place to handle the load even if you are in the radius of one of those lucky towers.

    I can't imagine how long it will be before you can drive around with a Sprint LTE device and have continuous LTE coverage....and even when we get there, what will the download speeds look like? They are overselling bandwidth now.

    Thus, I see no reason to be with them in the next two years. At the end of that time, one can always come back and reevaluate. If they have a robust network then with decent download speed, are still inexpensive, and are still offering unlimited data, then I will consider coming back...but I am not paying 90% of what VZ charges for data that eeks in at 1995 modem speeds and for a voice network on which I can often not get a connection. My vacation this summer was the final straw. None of the three Sprint phones in my family could place calls reliably in a pretty large area near the shore. I am not talking about a rural area...and we traveled many miles and had this issue, yet a family friend who had VZ was not only placing calls wherever we went, but could also stream video while sitting on the beach.

    Unlimited data means squat at these speeds. It's like being at an all-you-can eat buffet where the plates are the size of postage stamps...and the buffet table is a two-mile walk from the table where you eat.

    Regarding VZ prices...

    Had we upgraded our last two off-contract phones on Sprint, we would have been paying another $20 a month for the "whatever" fee. That would have brought my monthly bill to $197 for a three-line family plan with insurance on all three handsets...with a corporate discount. I have those three lines on VZ now...with insurance...on an 8GB plan with unlimited voice and text...and my bill will be approximately $225 with corporate discount after taxes. About 10% more for data that screams. I'll monitor data usage and adjust up and down as needed. 8GB a month is more than we used on Sprint, but who knows what we will use when data is actually served at useful speeds.
    Very well said!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  8. #8  
    TheDonJ77's Avatar

    Posts
    407 Posts
    ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    I will be leaving sprint soon as well. I just cannot deal with it any longer

    Sent from my Awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2 baby.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Sprint sucks in Dallas. Only about half of the calls that we attempt actually make. 3g speeds less than .5 mb/s. Been this way for many months. After receiving the runaround for as many months I was finally told that all of the towers in my area are over capacity and would not be up to par until January 2013. I've heard so many promises from them that I don't even believe this. I told them I would still wait it out against my better judgement if they could do something to make me happy. Adjust my bill till the service is better, credits to my account, or something or I would have to go to Verizon. They pretty much said see ya. 10 years as a loyal customer meant nothing. Gladly switching to Verizon this weekend. If you live north of Dallas stay away from Sprint.
    "I'm your huckleberry!"
  10. #10  
    BPHusker's Avatar

    Posts
    124 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    I'm really thinking about leaving for the same reasons. I got a EVO LTE in May and even so, I might still eat an ETF because I'm sick of the horrible speeds on Sprint. How does Sprint calculate how much an ETF would cost?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Quote Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post
    I'm really thinking about leaving for the same reasons. I got a EVO LTE in May and even so, I might still eat an ETF because I'm sick of the horrible speeds on Sprint. How does Sprint calculate how much an ETF would cost?
    I think it is a standard calculation based on type of phone and length of remaining contract.

    For grins and giggles just call up sprint and ask them. Who knows they might just give you a credit to stay.
  12. #12  
    TnA206's Avatar

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    In January I'm also leaving this dying carrier and heading over too Verizon. My wife has had Verizon for 2 months now and I get jealous just seeing her use her phone to see what time it is. Lol. Can't wait too get away from this. There shares data plan will actually be cheaper when I jump on her plan than sprints. Unlimited data on sprint us a joke can't even download and view stuffthere service is so slow! It should be illegal what they are doing!

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. #13  
    Fubie's Avatar

    Posts
    87 Posts
    ROM
    decks CM 10.3

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think it is a standard calculation based on type of phone and length of remaining contract.

    For grins and giggles just call up sprint and ask them. Who knows they might just give you a credit to stay.
    I didn't have a grin and giggle when I called and asked about EFT on a line with just over a month left in contract. Silly me for thinking that ETF drops by an even amount every month over the life of the contract. He is the page on Sprint that explains it,

    Months remaining | ETF remaining Advanced devices | ETF All other devices
    23 $0 (for returns in compliance with Sprint's Return Policy) $0 (for returns in compliance with Sprint's Return Policy)
    22 $350.00 $200.00
    21 $350.00 $200.00
    20 $350.00 $200.00
    19 $350.00 $190.00
    18 $350.00 $180.00
    17 $340.00 $170.00
    16 $320.00 $160.00
    15 $300.00 $150.00
    14 $280.00 $140.00
    13 $260.00 $130.00
    12 $240.00 $120.00
    11 $220.00 $110.00
    10 $200.00 $100.00
    9 $180.00 $90.00
    8 $160.00 $80.00
    7 $140.00 $70.00
    6 $120.00 $60.00
    5 $100.00 $50.00
    4 $100.00 $50.00
    3 $100.00 $50.00
    2 $100.00 $50.00
    1 $100.00 $50.00
    Fubie
    Current - Nexus 5
    Past - EVO 4G LTE | Nexus 7 | EVO 4G | EVO 3D | EVO 4G | Hero - All rooted
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Goodbye... :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Fubie View Post
    I didn't have a grin and giggle when I called and asked about EFT on a line with just over a month left in contract. Silly me for thinking that ETF drops by an even amount every month over the life of the contract. He is the page on Sprint that explains it,

    Months remaining | ETF remaining Advanced devices | ETF All other devices
    23 $0 (for returns in compliance with Sprint's Return Policy) $0 (for returns in compliance with Sprint's Return Policy)
    22 $350.00 $200.00
    21 $350.00 $200.00
    20 $350.00 $200.00
    19 $350.00 $190.00
    18 $350.00 $180.00
    17 $340.00 $170.00
    16 $320.00 $160.00
    15 $300.00 $150.00
    14 $280.00 $140.00
    13 $260.00 $130.00
    12 $240.00 $120.00
    11 $220.00 $110.00
    10 $200.00 $100.00
    9 $180.00 $90.00
    8 $160.00 $80.00
    7 $140.00 $70.00
    6 $120.00 $60.00
    5 $100.00 $50.00
    4 $100.00 $50.00
    3 $100.00 $50.00
    2 $100.00 $50.00
    1 $100.00 $50.00
    Yeah, that was a pretty silly assumption. Sprint doesn't have to drop it at all. They could keep the full ETF for the entire contract.

Similar Threads

  1. Back on Droid, Happy to have Incredible....goodbye Blackberry?
    By DougFNJ in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
  2. Goodbye BB Storm1 ....HELLO Android
    By as22 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 02:13 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
  4. Goodbye N1... A good read
    By jopela in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
  5. Goodbye for now.....
    By powerbyte#ac in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

B