Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Wink Which Sprint Android to get???!?

Guys, I'm getting a new device in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I'm an Android guy all the way, no iphone, I personally can't stand them.

Performance is important, price is not. In going to be stuck with this guy for 2 years so I want one bad mammajamma!

Rooting is a must, so a device with a solid support of developers is crucial.

What do you guys recommend? I've been out of the scene to long, so expert advice, it's that I seek >

Thanks guys

Default Re: Which Sprint Android to get???!?

Optimus G, just get a different launcher to avoid the horrible LG UI
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ

Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy S3, they both have great development behind them

GS3... or Note 2, if you have big pockets!
    Wouldn't trade my Sprint S3 for anything!

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Oh you need massive pockets or a man purse to carry the note. My s3 falls out of my pocket all the time when I sit down.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Evolte all the way

Sent from my LTEVO on the not so now network via android central app
    ajonesma and Slender Troll like this.

I would wait and see what the next Nexus phone is going to be like. Supposedly it will be announced October 29 by Google. However, not sure if they will announce availability then or not....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by stevemoffler View Post
    Sent from my LTEVO on the not so now network via android central app
    I couldn't agree more.

Motorola Photon 4G
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Guys thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've got it narrowed down to 3: Galaxy S3, EVO 4G lte, or the Galaxy Nexus. Are any of these nearing their eol? Which of these devices is capable of wifi tethering when rooted? Also in terms of overall size are any of these devices notably larger?

Thanks again!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Guys thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've got it narrowed down to 3: Galaxy S3, EVO 4G lte, or the Galaxy Nexus. Are any of these nearing their eol? Which of these devices is capable of wifi tethering when rooted? Also in terms of overall size are any of these devices notably larger?

Thanks again!

EVO LTE!!!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

If the screen you look at matters get the Sprint EVO LTE. - Its the same as the HOX but renamed and painted black!

If multitasking matters do you get the Samsung GS3 or Samsung GN2.

Otherwise wait until the next Nexus is released but that could be a few weeks to a few months. Or if CDMA carriers even get it.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

What makes those 2 better than the EVO for multitasking?

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
    Guys, I'm getting a new device in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I'm an Android guy all the way, no iphone, I personally can't stand them.

Performance is important, price is not. In going to be stuck with this guy for 2 years so I want one bad mammajamma!

Rooting is a must, so a device with a solid support of developers is crucial.

What do you guys recommend? I've been out of the scene to long, so expert advice, it's that I seek >

Thanks guys
    It would be worthwhile to wait for Google's event this coming Monday to see if they have any new phones for Sprint ... The GSM version of the Nexus 4 is upon us, but I haven't read anything that talks about a Sprint CDMA version. Historically Sprint has gotten these later, but with the new ipad's it looks like Sprint will get it at the same time... so who knows if that will extend to Google's new phone(s)..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Also, FWIW... I was a big HTC fan because of the original Evo... but we have had lots of problems with my wife's Evo LTE and just had to swap it under warranty...

So my confidence about HTC is at an all-time low...

For those with problem-free Evo LTE's, great for you...
    Wish that we were in your camp...

Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Thanks again!
    The Galaxy Nexus is the oldest of those 3 and is about to be superceeded by the Nexus 4. Hardware-wise it's the least impressive, but being a Nexus is will continue to be supported.

The GS3 is the newest and has be best hardware specs of those three. It's also more easily rooted and has more dev support than the EvoLTE. So based on what you've said I'd recommend that one.

Although if you're already waitng a few months, I'd suggest considering a few unreleased phones. The Note2 has all the same advantages of the GS3, but with more RAM (if you can deal with the size). The LG Optimus G looks like it might be the best spec'd Android phone ever and the reviews say that it FLIES. But the bootloader is encypted, so you might want to wait to see if the dev community can crack it. (I'm predicting they will.) And then there's the LG Nexus 4 which is expected to have the same killer hardware as the LG Optimus G, but with pure Google and an unlockable bootloader. But it's unannounced and no one know when or if Sprint will get it. All 3 of these phone beat the 3 that you mentioned in my opinon.

What makes those 2 better than the EVO for multitasking?
    Based on the amount of RAM the EVO has and how much RAM Sense takes, apps that would normally stay open in the background often end up closing. A lot of Evo owners complain about this. For example people tell stories about being in the middle of writing an email, opening the browser to copy a link, and when they try to go back to the email, the app has closed and their email is gone. I haven't experienced this first hand, but it's a pretty common complaint.

Wait for the Nexus 4, or at least till October 29th for the announcement.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...nch-due-oct-30

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Sounds like the EVO is out for me, multitasking is a must. Sooooo narrowed down to the Optimus G, GS3 and the not released yet Nexus 4. The Optimus G is on the bottom of the list due to developer support at this time.

I won't be actually getting anything for a couple of weeks (when upgrade is available), so I'm eagerly waiting for the Nexus 4. No doubt that one will have devs all over it.

The point of this thread was to do my homework well in advance and not get a dud...I learned that the expensive way when my Samsung Instinct was a total crapper and I absolutely couldn't take it and bought a different device after 4 replacement Instincts.

Thanks for the advice people, if you've got anything else please keep it coming. This guy is gonna be with me for a while I want to make the best decision possible for me.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

This guy is gonna be with me for a while I want to make the best decision possible for me.
    I am still rocking my Evo 4g from 2010, so these devices can definitely last a while...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Hey guys, any word on the new Nexus?? Sprint doesn't have it listed as available on their site yet
    Master of Time and Space

Hey guys, any word on the new Nexus?? Sprint doesn't have it listed as available on their site yet
    There will be none.
    No Nexus 4 for Sprint?

Mav.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Aww come on man you're breaking my heart.

Well, looks like I'm going with the GS 3 then, unless something changes within the next 2 weeks.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Yep... it is a GSM device and Sprint is CDMA... so no soup for you.... or me....

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Aww come on man you're breaking my heart.

Well, looks like I'm going with the GS 3 then, unless something changes within the next 2 weeks.
    I'd try the note 2 at the store and see if you can handle the size of it it does everything the s3 does and it has a quad core processor so its future proofed and it comes with jelly bean pre installed but if not the gs3 is still a great phone

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    Yep... it is a GSM device and Sprint is CDMA... so no soup for you.... or me....
    I thought the Note2 on Sprint to be a GSM device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast