• 1 Post By VW Maverick
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

Default No Nexus 4 for Sprint?

According to the Verge and Google there will be no LTE version of the Nexus 4. I find this hard to believe. If Google want the nexus line to succeed they need to open it up to all carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,232 Global Posts

Default Re: No Nexus 4 for Sprint?

Google hasn't announced a version for Sprint.
    The Verge is implying that Google doesn't want to bend for CDMA carriers.

No one has flat out said that the Nexus 4 would never appear on Sprint.

But one can infer that that a Nexus 4 on Sprint is unlikely.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Master of Time and Space

Quote from :

"In comments made today explaining why the new Nexus 4 doesn’t have 4G LTE, Google’s Andy Rubin admitted that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE, which includes the Sprint Galaxy Nexus and Verizon Galaxy Nexus, wasn’t a good experience for users.

Rubin, Google’s Android head, made the comments to The Verge when explaining why the Nexus 4 is without 4G LTE connectivity this time around and will only feature HSPA+ speeds. According to Rubin, there are several reasons why the Nexus 4 doesn’t have 4G LTE. Very plainly, they consist of battery life issues, something that was prevalent with the Galaxy Nexus, and cost.

Because Google wants full control of the software process on the Nexus, releasing a 4G LTE Nexus 4 was out of the question as it would require Sprint and Verizon, both CDMA carriers, which is a network type that is not friendly to unlocked phone. So, as Google points out, it would have had to build a custom GSM LTE phone for AT&T’s 77 markets which would have been an extremely expensive endeavor and one that didn’t fit into Google’s business model."

Also a good article about the Galaxy Nexus.

Mav.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.
    Thanked by:
    Sole07 
    The dood likes this.

Bummer. Love my gnex on Sprint

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

I think when they refer to cdma carriers I think they mean verizon, they don't want to create another galaxy nexus fiasco do they?

Sprint has done nothing wrong to google in the past, and as far as I know sprint is the most open to android "enthusiasts" as opposed to att or tmobile.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Android Central Forums
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,232 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    I think when they refer to cdma carriers I think they mean verizon, they don't want to create another galaxy nexus fiasco do they?

Sprint has done nothing wrong to google in the past, and as far as I know sprint is the most open to android "enthusiasts" as opposed to att or tmobile.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Android Central Forums
    Google and Sprint have been relatively close.

Google Wallet. Nexus S 4G. Google Voice integration.

And yet, no Nexus 4 for Sprint. It's clear that it's not just updates that bother Google (CDMA).
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    The dood likes this.
    Master of Time and Space

My next upgrade is not until Dec, 2013 so I am sure there will be another Nexus from Sprint by then. Maybe more than one.
    I am very happy with my Galaxy Nexus and can see it staying relevant with continuous updates from Google and Sprint.

Mav.

Sent on my Galaxy Nexus using the Continuum Transfunctioner.
    We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    My next upgrade is not until Dec, 2013 so I am sure there will be another Nexus from Sprint by then.
    Same here.

Motorola Photon 4G

4.2 is being released next week and we don't even have 4.1.2 how is this a good Nexus experience. If you think it's a good experience you don't understand what the Nexus is all about. I'm paying $200 and leaving Sprint, mostly because of the incredibly slow data but also to get the Nexus 4 unlocked for only $350. Also I won't have to worry about being locked into a contract and paying money while Sprint upgrades their network, in the meantime pretty much being useless in my area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

I think Google's decision to keep the Nexus 4 a GSM/HSPA+ only device (for now) was mostly a cost savings measure. Historically, Nexus phones have never been bestsellers and therefore, I can't imagine building custom LTE variants for the CDMA carriers being particularly profitable in the long haul. By forgoing an LTE radio in the current unlocked N4, they're also able to keep the price down to $299/$349.

Also, with unlocked GSM phones, Google can better serve Nexus customers with faster updates (that don't require carrier intervention) and offer a consistent user experience (another thing carriers tend to botch).
    Thanked by:

Mines not until sometime in 2014. As far as um concerned I will be sticking with my gnexus for awhile. At most I might pick up a note 2 to mess with but still have my nexus as my daily driver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Waiting for Nexus 5 or the S4

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums