Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 4G tests: LTE v. WiMAX

    I was in the Sprint store today just testing out the various devices and decided to see how the LTE on the new devices was comparing to the WiMAX on my NS4G. I used the Speedtest.net app on the Optimus G, the SGS3 and the EVO LTE. On ALL THREE of those devices, my results were dismal. I had wi-fi turned off on all of these, in case you were wondering.

    OG: There doesn't seem to be a "4G" indicator or, if there is, it wasn't lighting up. There isn't a standard 4G toggle, only a menu item for selecting CDMA only or CDMA/LTE. I had the latter selected. For some reason the speedtest app was not locating Atlanta as the nearest server...it was going up to Tennessee. I tried changing the server, but Atlanta was not a choice. Not sure what that was all about. Anyway...D/L speeds were about 60 kbps. Yes...that's with a 'k'.

    SGS3: 4G was lit up...D/L speeds hit about 100 kbps.

    EVO LTE: Something was odd about the demo-mode on that thing and it kept wanting to go into demo mode even if I was in the middle of something. I never had long enough to actually run the speed test, but the history tab in the app showed me that nothing ever broke 100 kbps.

    In fact...NONE of the history tabs showed me anything higher than about 120 kbps. These are all LTE phones and I was in a store in a very active and busy part of town (near Perimeter Mall for any of you familiar with Atlanta).

    Next, I opened up my speedtest app on my NS4G and ran it. First try I got 1.4 mbps...with an 'm'.


    Has anyone else run this sort of comparison between 4G technologies in the same spot? Is LTE this disappointing for anyone else? It's making me wonder if I should just wait. Pretty disappointing, really. Could it just be the fact that I AM in a busy part of town? I mean, I was getting a 4G signal on these phones...so I know LTE is available around here. Anyone know what gives?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 4G tests: LTE v. WiMAX

    God knows how those demo units are programmed so you can throw out those results.

    They're probably connected to a store generated "LTE server" so it's not indicative of actual speeds. Just look around at the threads for various cities in this forum.

    "Bad" speeds so far on Sprint's LTE are around 5-6 Mbps (yes with an 'M'). That might change as the network gets more saturated, but there is definitely something amiss with those units you tried out.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 4G tests: LTE v. WiMAX

    Ran a similar test with my GNex and my wife's Evo. I got 13.61 mbps while she got 2.83 mbps. She's since upgraded to the LG Viper which consistently gets faster speeds than my GNex.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 4G tests: LTE v. WiMAX

    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    OG: There doesn't seem to be a "4G" indicator or, if there is, it wasn't lighting up. There isn't a standard 4G toggle, only a menu item for selecting CDMA only or CDMA/LTE. I had the latter selected. For some reason the speedtest app was not locating Atlanta as the nearest server...it was going up to Tennessee. I tried changing the server, but Atlanta was not a choice. Not sure what that was all about. Anyway...D/L speeds were about 60 kbps. Yes...that's with a 'k'.
    I can confirm that on the OG there is a 4G symbol that replaces the 3G symbol when 4G is available.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: 4G tests: LTE v. WiMAX

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    God knows how those demo units are programmed so you can throw out those results.

    They're probably connected to a store generated "LTE server" so it's not indicative of actual speeds. Just look around at the threads for various cities in this forum.

    "Bad" speeds so far on Sprint's LTE are around 5-6 Mbps (yes with an 'M'). That might change as the network gets more saturated, but there is definitely something amiss with those units you tried out.
    Good to know. I hate that the only working demo units are in the Sprint store itself. Every other place has dummy phones. I may be strolling over to the store here in a little bit and taking the plunge. I'm leaning towards the Opti-G.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Good to know. I hate that the only working demo units are in the Sprint store itself. Every other place has dummy phones. I may be strolling over to the store here in a little bit and taking the plunge. I'm leaning towards the Opti-G.
    Anyone have 4GLTE outside the markets already notified cuz No city in PR has been announced and yet as of last nite 4G Lte its in the city of Ponce and Caguas so far I have signal there let me know if anyone is getting signal too

Similar Threads

  1. Where can I test LTE 4G in Dallas/Ft Worth?
    By Robbzilla in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
  2. Finally got a chance to test LTE!! WOW
    By unibolt in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
  3. LTE and WiMax versions
    By Baconator in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 08:09 AM
  4. 4G tests in Kansas City
    By Deegan in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM
  5. HTC Inspire 4G Test Drive
    By btgrave in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions